Robert Palmer on Letterman in 88

pgm554

Reaction score
Re: Letterman, you certainly have a right to your opinion which I couldn’t disagree with you more.
Dave pretty much said he was an Ahole in one of his interviews.
So if he says he was an Ahole ,well...

pgm554

Reaction score
If he ha
Robert Palmer is in my top five list for best rock vocalist. He could make you feel the emotion for singing the names and numbers in a telephone book.
If he had curly hair ,he'd pretty much be a Tom Jones clone.
Just better dressed than Tom.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Palmer rocked hard in a 3 piece suit. I believe Tony Thompson and Dony Wynn split drums on his 80's albums. "Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley" from the 70s is also a favorite. The Meters (Zigaboo Modeliste on drums), members of Little Feat, Simon Phillips and Bernard Purdie all played on that album. The Power Station album with Tony on drums is a masterpiece. Palmer always played with incredible talent.

I also watched the NBC Letterman Late Nite show for the band - first with Steve Jordan and then with Fig on drums. I loved that Letterman integrated the band completely into the flow of the show. I remember when Fig joined the band that Letterman called him "Anton Zip" for a few weeks and had him play a couple of drum solos (often while something silly like cookie recipes would scroll on the screen). I was a Fig fan from his playing on the Ace Frehely solo record (best of the 4 by a long mile) - but was blown away by his range on the Letterman show. They could play behind nearly any artist, any genre, as if they had just come off tour with them. Loved it when people like Eddie Van Halen, David Sanborn and Steve Winwood would sit in for the whole show. I was not a country fan at all but they smoked a performance behind Randy Travis one night that made me go out and buy his record the next day. I learned a lot watching the World's Most Dangerous Band, got introduced to a lot of new artists and music, and Fig was a big influence. I even went out and got myself an 85 Yamaha Cobalt Blue Tour Custom in Fig homage a few years ago.

Yamaha Drums 2.jpg

Last edited: