Robert Plant thought Bonzo overplayed once!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Very interesting! I don't think Bonham overplayed much - his drumming was always just so darn perfect, IMO.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed. If anyone overplayed on this it’s the lead guitarist, not Bonzo.
Finger baloney landing on the same two weak pitches. Just actions with nothing to say. Maybe the guitarist grew into the instrument and found a voice later.

Edit: maybe the auto censor replacement for bee ess should be "baloney" instead of "not true."
Edit 2: Now they will probably add "bee ess" to the no-no list.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn't even Robert Plant for that to sound like Led Zeppelin.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lame, clickbait-y article from yahoo.com below, but it had a link to the Band of Joy (1968 pre-Zep) which has Robert singing and Bonham on drums covering "For What It's Worth."

There's classic Zeppelin drum fills all over the song! I had never heard this before.....

Not sure if you’ve heard this one but it’s the same band and young Robert plant really belts it out

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at it from a modern perspective, then yeah, he overplayed. You wouldn't hear a drummer today putting in all this fills. I thinks it's much more about the pocket today in rock/pop, not in flashy fills.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of Plant and Bonham, I’d always bet on Plant to be the one overdoing it. Baby baby baby baby!
Yup. And if Bonham ever said "If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now" or worse, "Squeeze my lemon, 'til da juice rundownmyleggg" - at least he did it off mic' :)

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. And if Bonham ever said "If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now" or worse, "Squeeze my lemon, 'til da juice rundownmyleggg" - at least he did it off mic' :)
It took me a long time to figure out that after the hedgerow line he sings “it’s just a spring clean for the May queen”

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised you beat Vistaliteblack to this .