header.nohb.html

Robert 'Sput' Searight

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been really enjoying this guys playing lately. His sound and volume control really floors me. Immense sound, but it's like quiet loud or warm loud. I'm not the biggest fan of Snarky Puppy's music or hearing this many notes, but hearing this guy's feel is really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruddyeye

Associate in Charge of Something
Reaction score
Nice and awesome drumming. What is the side snare he has there? Tama steel shell something?

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Once again, Tama puts it out there for all us mortals to choose from. Their R & D department must be an unreal place to work. Think about it, near unlimited resources, creative geniuses, excellent design engineers, and seeking input from world class percussionists just to bring some of the most innovative products ever created to market. I may not flip over everything they've ever done, but you have to admit, these guys have let no grass grow under their feet since they burst onto the scene worldwide in the late seventies. I have a copy of their original drum catalog in my collection and will probably never let that one go. Kudos to Tama. Another winner.

xipa4

Sister Cool
Reaction score
He is my favorite SP drummer because he not only had great chops,but also nice feel and swing.
Just my $00.02 IMO :)

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Big Robert Searight fan here. Thanks for posting, Drum Gear Review. Regarding Tama drums, Tama has been making some of the best drums available for a long, long time. It's a shame the company has a rock-oriented association because their drums are general purpose and second to none. Also, for the longest time, Tama has been second to none with finishes, too. The build quality, finishing, and sound quality of Tama's stuff is astounding. I'm a particular fan of the thin-shelled, StarClassic Maple drums, but everything from Tama is first class.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yes, the guy is fantastic. I've only had three Tama kits (still have my beloved Superstar kit in my studio) and these drums are top notch.

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sput is the man. I don't really care what brand he plays though, it will sound good!

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the setup details said that was a 14x9 snare.

I really think this video and the STAR series videos with Erskine are some of the best sounding gear demos I've heard. They audio has obviously been processed, but the notes sound clear and balanced. I feel like I'm getting a genuine sense of how these drums can sound (albeit when played by top-flight players).