Roc-N-Soc Round or Motorcycle Seat?

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am probably going to get a nitro but am not sure as to shape of seat.
I have been playing on a crappy round and by lower back is killing me.
The part of the round that I like is that I feel it gives my legs more freedom if you catch my drift.
The cycle seat kind of locks you in place and I don't know how my girls will feel (try to be PC here :)

Any thoughts. I am looking for a MS that has them both in stock but cannot find one.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always used rounds but once I got a bike seat, that was it. Now if i sit in or have to use a round I come away thinking how much I love my RnS. Before I got it I was wondering if it would lock me in like you say but I never found that.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a round nitro seat and love it. The motorcycle seat just didn't work for me, I felt like it was cutting off the circulation to my legs.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I gigged with the roc n soc saddle type for years. I found that it became uncomfortable "down there" and I constantly had to adjust myself. I switched to a smaller diameter round seat. If you do go for the saddle type, the back rest is worth the extra dough and carrying weight.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
You'll just have to try them out. I could never get comfortable on a motorcycle style throne. I wanted it to be comfortable, but Willy and the Poor Boys had nowhere to go. I sit at the edge of my round throne (Pork Pie - but Roc n Soc is just as good, maybe better) and have done double headers and even triple headers with it (10+ hours sitting). We did one gig that was 6 hours straight with only a bathroom break and I was comfortable on my round throne.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Used the motorcycle for years, then bought a round seat and retrofit it. Much happier with the round. Either way, you can always retrofit it later by purchasing a seat only.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had the motorcycle style with back rest for over ten years and literally no issues whatsoever . I prefer the motorcycle style as I find the round seat cuts into the back of my thighs too much .
the backrest is highly recommended .

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I replaced my round Rogers seat with a Gibraltar motorcycle seat about 22 years ago. Shortly after that I got my first RnS nitro. I now own three of them (one at home, one at big band rehearsal space, one in my gigging bag), and will never use anything else. I also recommend the back rest, for multiple reasons.

Whatever you choose, you won't really know until you sit on it for 3-4 hours and play.

Wideglyd

Reaction score
I am probably going to get a nitro but am not sure as to shape of seat.
I have been playing on a crappy round and by lower back is killing me.
The part of the round that I like is that I feel it gives my legs more freedom if you catch my drift.
The cycle seat kind of locks you in place and I don't know how my girls will feel (try to be PC here :)

Any thoughts. I am looking for a MS that has them both in stock but cannot find one.

Wideglyd

Reaction score
Motorcycle for sure. I made the switch 25 years ago and never looked back. So much better for leg/back support. I have a roc-n-soc and love it.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I call them "Tractor Seats" as mostly only VERY old bikes had those seats. I used a round one for over 40 years before getting the tractor version. I sit on it the same as I sat on the round one; just barely on the front. It seems stupid to have all that wasted real estate behind me but I find I do like the little hump guy between my legs. And I don't tighten everything down enough to keep it from pivoting with my body when I twist around.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had to check, and Roc-n_soc refers to the tractor style seat as the "Original" and the narrower bike-seat style as the "Hugger". I went from the original to the round. I have the backrest and nitro adjust (w/old style mounting plate), as well. It's got to be close to 20 years old, and I've never had a problem with it.

Latest posts