Roc-N-Soc Round or Motorcycle Seat?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
How about Yamaha’s square seat? I haven’t sat on it but it seems to be the most comfortable of them all since it is basically like a chair.

J

jaymandude

To me it depends on how you sit. If you sit back on a seat, with both cheeks in the middle of a round seat , then a motorcycle would probably work for you. If you're like me, and a few other guys here who sit on the edge of a round seat, then you might prefer round and the bike seat a little confining..

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Round, and sit on the edge, not the top. Better posture, better balance, less fatigue. Have worked on my posture with several "body professionals" (an OD, Alexander technique, pilates instructors), and every last one of them has warned me against sitting 'flat' and encouraged me to maintain a more active, forward balance, sit high, and to use a firm throne.

Needed a throne this week (stuck out of the country for the time being, and didn't have a full set of hardware with me) and am happy with what I grabbed: a Yamaha DS750. I might like something with a little heavier base for SUPER loud/aggressive gigs where I'm moving a lot and jumping around a lot, but for 95% of my gigs something like that is perfect (and I love the light weight!).

In a pinch, a classic wooden barstool is almost perfect, maybe 5 inches to tall. But I'd MUCH prefer that over being 5 inches too low. Look at all the photos/videos of 20s-40s big band players. A tall throne is nice for getting over a 26" bass drum, but the ergonomics of it are great, too.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pile on, saddle. : ) Oddly enough though, I got a Sound Seat and now don’t even like the smaller saddles I had. No where near as comfortable.
Once you sit your butt down on a SoundSeat, you most likely won't want to use any other seat again. I have 4 of them! Great company with the leather seat being made right here in the USA. They will even do special colors, combinations, special customized designs or having your name on it...all sorts of cool stuff.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought another Nitro last week. I have two others that are 15 years old. The new one is much lighter than the old models. I was very surprised.

Anyone complaining that this throne is too heavy to haul around ....based on past experience with one.... should try out the current model.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Once you sit your butt down on a SoundSeat, you most likely won't want to use any other seat again. I have 4 of them! Great company with the leather seat being made right here in the USA. They will even do special colors, combinations, special customized designs or having your name on it...all sorts of cool stuff.
Yeah I forgot I had tried out a "regular" drummer Soundseat once last year. From all the talk I figured I'd like it but that wasn't the case. I only used it for about 30 minutes but I found it a little uncomfortable and too wide. I think it was just the way it was shaped and padded. I really wished it was comfortable for me cuz I like the fact it was made in the USA, can be embroidered straight from the factory, yada yada yada. The first time I try a RnS I loved it. You really have to test drive a seat or be able to return/refund it. Damn things are expensive.

Browny

Reaction score
Round. I tried a bunch last year when shopping for a new throne, could never get really comfortable on a tractor/mc seat.

Settled on a Tama 1st Chair Round Rider XL, found it more comfortable than anything else I could try and then they ended up having a red leather one in stock that had been there for a while so I got a reasonable discount on it.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
Motorcycle style, If you perform for along time they really are comfortable for long digs behind the kit. I have a 10 year old nitro tractor/motorcycle seat. if you can go sit on some before you buy,

Last edited:

LauraCai

Reaction score
I always used round. Finally tried motorcycle & will never use round again. I have both Roc n Soc nitro & regular spindle & like both. Nitro has a little “give” to it.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've used a Roc n Soc saddle with backrest for 20 years. A great stool and after all that time still looks and feels new. 4 years ago I grabbed a second stool. A round Pork Pie. Also a great stool, and to me its more comfortable on the bum and for my tail bone. A lot of firm padding. I still use both and my take away is either way, spend good money and get a great stool. It will last a lifetime and your body will thank you.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned tons of different thrones. I have an original Roc-N-Soc Sadlle from 1990 that I still use to this day. I also picked up a Roc-n-Soc Hugger & the Round thrones with both spindle & hydraulic bases.

IMHO - Get a Spindle because they are most reliable & solid... They don't dip or sag. Get a Round throne top & learn to sit on it correctly towards the edge with power posture.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I find that when I have to use a round seat, I only sit on the edge of the seat, otherwise my left leg will go numb and tingle. If I sit in a motorcycle seat, I sit all the way back, more comfortably and my legs don't go numb or tingle. That said, the SoundSeat is by far, the best seat that I have used and as stated above, I have four of them. The seats are made in the Carolinas (I can't remember if it is North or South Carolina), so they are USA made. I like to support a great American company.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I find that when I have to use a round seat, I only sit on the edge of the seat, otherwise my left leg will go numb and tingle. If I sit in a motorcycle seat, I sit all the way back, more comfortably and my legs don't go numb or tingle. That said, the SoundSeat is by far, the best seat that I have used and as stated above, I have four of them. The seats are made in the Carolinas (I can't remember if it is North or South Carolina), so they are USA made. I like to support a great American company.
Don’t forget to mention you sit REALLY low too .

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I posted above about having a tractor seat stool since I started playing again in 2010 and bought my new kit and how I sit on the edge, or front, just like I did on the round ones I always used in the past, wasting all that real estate behind me.
I was refilling the woodstove in the basement this morning and as usual sat at the kit and doodled for a bit. When I got up I noticed the seat is "scalloped" to accomodate buttocks and thigh tops right exactly as I sit on it so I guess I'm not wasting the tractor seat but using it as intended. I'd be just as happy back with a round one.

J

jaymandude

Yeah I forgot I had tried out a "regular" drummer Soundseat once last year. From all the talk I figured I'd like it but that wasn't the case. I only used it for about 30 minutes but I found it a little uncomfortable and too wide. I think it was just the way it was shaped and padded. I really wished it was comfortable for me cuz I like the fact it was made in the USA, can be embroidered straight from the factory, yada yada yada. The first time I try a RnS I loved it. You really have to test drive a seat or be able to return/refund it. Damn things are expensive.
I just want you to know with all the talk here about SOUNDSEAT IS THE ONLY ONE YOU"LL EVER WANT, I have the same experience as you. It forces you to sit a certain way, kinda halfway between bike and round. I keep mine in the house for practicing, but for gigging, and I play A LOT, I use a round and very firm TAMA...

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just want you to know with all the talk here about SOUNDSEAT IS THE ONLY ONE YOU"LL EVER WANT, I have the same experience as you. It forces you to sit a certain way, kinda halfway between bike and round. I keep mine in the house for practicing, but for gigging, and I play A LOT, I use a round and very firm TAMA...
I knew I wasn't crazy! :) BTW, I have a Tama first chair saddle and it's one of the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever owned. Which Tama seat do you have and can it spin?

J

jaymandude

I knew I wasn't crazy! :) BTW, I have a Tama first chair saddle and it's one of the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever owned. Which Tama seat do you have and can it spin?
It's an older Tama First Chair. Round top but black vinyl. It has a plastic insert where it grips the seat bottom. It can spin I suppose if it's not fully tightened. I had to get an Ahead wooly cover for it. I don't do well with soft seats, or mushy food