Roc-N-Soc Round or Motorcycle Seat?

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Sound Percussion motorcycle style throne. Had it for like 15 years maybe 20. No problems with it. Just wanted to let you all know - that they are out there. Not sure how they compare to Roc-N-Soc in terms of softness or durability, but I doubt there is any significant difference. My SP is as good as new after a couple decades and I have never gotten sore or felt that it was too hard, etc.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I only use my RnS saddle for gigs because the Soundseat has five legs that don't collapse. Too big to pack away in the car. Also, the three times
that I brought my SS to gigs, I found strangers sitting on it. Maybe it looks like a nice bar stool.

That said, the RnS feels fine to me, but not as comfortable.

One thing to consider with a Soundseat is the angle can be adjusted to help you lean into the kit a little, if you want. That might also help
it get out of the way where it counts.

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
I am probably going to get a nitro but am not sure as to shape of seat.
I have been playing on a crappy round and by lower back is killing me.
The part of the round that I like is that I feel it gives my legs more freedom if you catch my drift.
The cycle seat kind of locks you in place and I don't know how my girls will feel (try to be PC here :)

Any thoughts. I am looking for a MS that has them both in stock but cannot find one.
I have the Roc n Soc Nitro. Great throne. Not so much the bicycle seat. Ordered a Carmichael throne seat from Sweetwater, order it drilled for whatever previous seat you have. I did keep the back rest. I have a 45 minute butt. the Carmichael makes a world of difference and is well worth the $$$. I wasted $$$ getting different foam padding put in seats, adding gel seats. ( not a waste but not a cure). I still use the gel seat in restaurants that have hard chairs. If you haven’t tried the cycle style seat, try it out at a store. Look for how it hits the back of the thighs, does the point of the seat help or is it uncomfortable. A round seat doesn’t cut into the thighs. But it makes a diff if you play heel up or heel down on your pedals or if you sit low with your knees above your hips. Good luck!

bob meyer

Reaction score
The part of the round that I like is that I feel it gives my legs more freedom if you catch my drift.
The cycle seat kind of locks you in place and I don't know how my girls will feel (try to be PC here :)

Any thoughts. I am looking for a MS that has them both in stock but cannot find one.
Get the hydraulic, saddle seat with a back rest. From someone who is actively drumming and has had back surgery, I can tell you, IT'S THE WAY TO GO!

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't read all the comments but after a selling marathon at my house I found I have an extra R&S Black Tractor style seat available if anyone has an old throne that could use a seat upgrade. I sold the throne with the original seat and now I have overage.

Don't know if I'll post it for sale but you can PM me if interested.

buddyrick

Reaction score

Hi to all,
I have not been back here in quite awhile to contribute. Lately, picked-up this Thread which interested me.
I'm an 'oldie' and always went with the Round throne design by the makers of my drum kit. I now have Pearls. My throne base is getting loose and won't stay tight. ( I know it can probably be fixed!!)
So thought it time to change and consider the tractor/bicycle seat design. Now this Thread mentions the Roc-n-Soc brand..but now Pearl, Ludwig, Tama and Gibraltar have a 'cycle seat' offering. Their prices are very close to that of a Roc-n-Soc whether in Nitron version or standard pivot post.
What should I be looking for that makes the Roc-n-Soc stand-out from the others with similar features/design ? Also I do intend to go to my drumshop to try one as has been suggested several times here.
Thanks.