Roc n Soc thrones

TSellers

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a new throne and I like Roc n Soc. I'm interested in comparisons between the manual model and the nitro. Specific to packing, is there much difference in the space each model takes when packed in a trap case?

Thank you in advance,
Tony

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hey Tony,
I think the Roc-n-Soc is an excellent choice. I've had one for years and it still keeps going. I have the nitro model. I like it for the convenience of easy adjustability. The stand itself takes up no more room in a conventional trap case but the seat itself takes up a little more room in the case because of the handle.
I re-arranged how I pack my trap case to accommodate that. I suppose you could transport the seat out of the case or transport your snare in a bag or case instead of in the case.
Either way, the comfort that this throne affords you makes it one you'll want. If you use it a lot, your body will thank you. I find the support I get from my Roc-n-Soc is far superior than anything else I've ever owned or tried. They're a bit pricey but worth it.
I see they even come in other colors. Very cool.
Good luck!
Tom

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
Too Many Drums - NAH! said:
Hey Tony,
I think the Roc-n-Soc is an excellent choice. I've had one for years and it still keeps going. I have the nitro model. I like it for the convenience of easy adjustability. The stand itself takes up no more room in a conventional trap case but the seat itself takes up a little more room in the case because of the handle.
I re-arranged how I pack my trap case to accommodate that. I suppose to could transport the seat out of the case or transport your snare in a bag or case instead of in the case.
Either way, the comfort that this throne affords you makes it one you'll want. If you use it a lot, your body will thank you. I find the support I get from my Roc-n-Soc is far superior than anything else I've ever owned or tried. They're a bit pricey but worth it.
I see they even come in other colors. Very cool.
Good luck!
Tom
+1 Agreed !

R

RickP

+2 - bought my first Roc N Soc nitro this year and love it. Supremely comfortable and sturdy, my back has no aches after a long gig now.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I now have four. All nitros. One for gigging, one for the shed, one for rehearsal and one that stays in Florida for my annual reunion gig I do there. Love the damn things! BTW, I've only paid for one new. The other three were either purchased here at DFO or through a trade.

I carry my throne in an SKB hard shell case.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a standard Roc-N-Soc with a backrest, and love it!!! When I was gigging (I only play at church now), I put the seat in my trap case, and the base in with my other stands.

If you are interested, I have a used throne (excellent condition) for sale in the classifieds. It is labeled PureCussion, but it is the same as my Roc-N-Soc, just without the backrest.

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a nitro with backrest. Bought it off Craigslist about two years ago. Still holding up great. It's really helped with my back problems during gigs. I don't tear it down, just throw it in the back seat of the car. It's worth the extra trip.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
With the nitro version, do they have a little bounce to them? I think I used one that was part of a backline set and want to fond of the bounce, though I can see how it would be beneficial to someone with back problems since it has more give.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
TheBeachBoy said:
With the nitro version, do they have a little bounce to them? I think I used one that was part of a backline set and want to fond of the bounce, though I can see how it would be beneficial to someone with back problems since it has more give.
I don't notice any Tony. BTW, I found the back rest to not work for me. I found it too restricting, but that's just me.

Shawn M

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first Roc n Soc as well, my butt is very happy lol.
I decided against the nitro as I dont adjust it once its set up.

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good seats and backrests, I like the nitro. Have you looked at a Soundseat, the one I have is amazingly comfortable.

lance stallion

Reaction score
I've had a top of the line Gibraltar and a Tama 1st Chair and neither compare to my tried-and-true Roc N Soc Nitro. I've tried the backrest thing also and it wasn't for me.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I must be the only guy who could not get used to these. I got one a few yeas ago. A nitro with backrest. First off I could not get used to a bicycle style seat (I've always had the standard round). It ended up giving me some fatigue in the back of my thigh muscles. The bounce kind of bothered me as well, and I could not seem to get the backrest adjusted to a comfortable place. Could not understand it but was very disappointed and sold it. I'm no freak - 6ft1 but my height is mostly my legs. Everyone else on earth seems to love these thrones, I suppose it was just not for me.
I also thought I would like the pork pie gel seats so I went to a music store to sit on one. Damn, did not like that either -real squishy.
Either I am too fussy or just very used to the old standard thrones. Sucks, cause I could use the back support.

skybear

Reaction score
Ive had a roknsoc throne from the first year they came out,,, Im a taller fellow,and never realy got used to it. I use it still but turn it backwards, for the tubs , or use it for for keys arranging etc... Kinda odd,,,,, and use it as a backup in my studio, My go to throne is the yamaha 950 square throne... WHen I have done festival venues, When drummers all use the same kit,, usually the saddle is a yami 950 square, or basic round,,,, because a few of us still just cant feel the love in a bike saddle seat.
If you like it get it,,,,, Great product,,,
My 2 cents,,, Bear

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to use a DW9000 throne, but sitting on it for a 2 hour set got to be pretty uncomfortable. I bought a Roc N Soc saddle seat top and mated it with a Gibraltar base. World of difference. I can do a 2-hr. set with no issues at all.

That said, since the Roc N Soc is starting to flatten out a bit, I'm wondering about the Ahead Spinal-G as an option

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my Roc n Soc and I also agree that the saddle isn't my favorite shape. I can't stand the round version though because it's frankly too small for my posterior's comfort, and I like just a little something more under my legs. This brings me to the square shape. It's not stocked anywhere I know of within driving distance, and I can't see it mated on-line with anything but the motion throne base, which I can't imagine wanting. A local store in Asheville can get the square seat with the nitro base, but it's pretty expensive so I don't want to pull the trigger unless I can get some feedback. Has anyone here tried the square seat?

You can see it in this link: http://www.rocnsoc.com/seat-options.html