Rock bands with female members....who was the first?

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to see a band in NYC all the time called the Prissteens. Great punk/pop band of tough girls.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't Grace Slick. It was Signe Toly. She was Jefferson Airplanes first female singer. She was on the first album.
She was a friend of my wife's quite a few years ago.
Lots of people forget her ... kinda sad. She's no longer with us.
She was pretty darn good.
I actually liked her better than Grace in that band ... but that's just opinion.
Anyway, she was with them from around 64 or 65 I believe. She stayed with them until late 66. Quite a wonderful performer.

Last edited:

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1642458442714.png

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sister Rosetta didn't need no stinkin' band. The godmother of rock n roll.

I wouldn't include ladies who just sang in my list, just because...singers.

An argument can be made thats sister rosetta invented the genre as both chuck and mr penniman were both heavily influenced by her.

Carol Kaye was a monster bass player w the wrecking crew. As instrumental to a million hits as Hal Blaine was.

I like Melanie, Joni Mitchell, & of course Carol King is a legend.

Later faves: Chrissie Hynde, PJ Harvey, Kim Deal

If you've never seen Cherry Wainer you should

Last edited:

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the O.P. was looking for all female bands or bands with female members. Regardless, it seems to be evolving into early women Rock and Rollers so in that vein:
Julie Driscoll w/Brian Auger and Trinity.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jazz also has a rarity of female performers- even today with 1000x times more people attempting to get a fraction of the gigs there were in the 50's and 60's there is still very few women.

The majority that come to mind in the heyday were either pianists or organists- Trudy Pitts, Shirley Scott, Mary Lou Williams, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Jutta Hipp, Alice Coltrane, Joann Brackeen and Carla Bley, Dorothy Ashby the original Jazz Harpist, Melba Liston the trombonist/arranger/conductor and barring singers- I don't think I can really name anyone else from the 1950-1970 era.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The Bible doesn’t name the wives of Cain or Seth, but surely one of them — or possibly Eve herself — was a singer or played an instrument.

Can’t think of anyone earlier!

Reactions: JDA

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rock bands have been around since Bill Haley - 1954.
I always assumed the first all female rock band was that Liverpool one, as they were contemporaries of The Beatles and played similar venues (1962/63)