Rock bands with female members....who was the first?

Dumpy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Debora Harry and Chrissy Hynde are by far the ladies I am in lurve with as far as female rockers. Of course I love Joan Jett, as well.

Certainly the “Fanny” band was named after an English slang word for a female body part that I will only allude to…

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Debora Harry and Chrissy Hynde are by far the ladies I am in lurve with as far as female rockers. Of course I love Joan Jett, as well.

Certainly the “Fanny” band was named after an English slang word for a female body part that I will only allude to…
More likely the american slang word for what you put on your throne

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christine MaccVie started out with Chicken Shack the rest is history .

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Really, no one has mentioned Heart? Right after The Carpenter's, that was the first 'rock' band that had female band members for me. Then Joan Jett...

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jefferson airplane had a female member and they rocked.
Signe Toly was their first female vocalist. Grace Slick of Great Society replaced her. Both bands started in 1965; Grace was always more associated with JA. Here she is in 66 with Great Society performing the song that that she wrote and it put her on the map when JA recorded it.

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Slick wrote the lyrics first, then composed the music at a red upright piano she had bought for US$50 with eight or ten keys missing—"that was OK because I could hear in my head the notes that weren't there" —moving between major chords for the verses and chorus. She said that the music was heavily influenced by Miles Davis's Sketches of Spain, particularly Davis's treatment of the Concierto de Aranjuez. She later said: "Writing weird stuff about Alice backed by a dark Spanish march was in step with what was going on in San Francisco then. We were all trying to get as far away from the expected as possible." (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit_(song)

Last edited:

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So not Eve and the Apples? Wasn't their one-hit wonder "The Snake Made Me Do It" ?

Last edited: