Rock Drummers who actually used Rolls

Super Classic 1

Reaction score
I remember Ringo saying that he actually could not do a proper “press” role as he called it. I don’t think I ever heard him use one in the Beatles catalogue or Charlie Watts for that matter. Bonham could do it. I think it really adds another dimension to throw them in rock tunes when appropriate.
Thoughts?

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alex Van Halen does dome nice little rolls in breakdowns on songs like Bottoms Up and Simple Rhyme. Also on his solos in the 90s.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Ok, I know Simon Kirke has used one a couple of times - right now I can only come up with this one at around 1:19..It's short so maybe some will say it's not a true press roll, but cool nonetheless IMO:

Andy Newmark sneaks a little one in here at around 2:00...again if you call this a press roll:

Also, I can't remember the Springsteen song, it was a hit, but it was before Max...the fill starts as a press roll, sort of, but the guy kind of loses it by end....man, I used to able to remember this stuff!

pgm554

Reaction score
Chris Slade (Manfred Mann /Pimk Floyd)
Spirits in the Night

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember Ringo saying that he actually could not do a proper “press” role as he called it. I don’t think I ever heard him use one in the Beatles catalogue or Charlie Watts for that matter. Bonham could do it. I think it really adds another dimension to throw them in rock tunes when appropriate.
Thoughts?
Ringo played a few on Nowhere Man and at the beginning of All You Need Is Love.

Dan

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Ringo played a few on Nowhere Man and at the beginning of All You Need Is Love.

Dan
Yes, he did! And as much as I'm a HUGE Ringo fan, Sir Richard is right, he can't play a press-roll. Those rolls are not a highlight of his tenure with the Lads. But I'll give Sir George Martin credit, he could have pulled in anyone from the London Philharmonic to play those bits, but he let it stand.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
I did them in the 9-11th grade school band. The only rock song I ever needed to do one was Deep Purple Burn and I just do a fast single stroke roll on it.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Phil Collins, “Supper’s Ready” off Foxtrot by Genesis, 1972. Live, this would be a single stroke roll on his floor tom, but in the studio he gives us a beautiful double stroke roll on his snare drum.

20:06, right after the tubular bells. “And it’s...Hey Babe, with your guardian eyes so blue...”

Latest posts