Rock Drummers who actually used Rolls

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ok, I know Simon Kirke has used one a couple of times - right now I can only come up with this one at around 1:19..It's short so maybe some will say it's not a true press roll, but cool nonetheless IMO:

Andy Newmark sneaks a little one in here at around 2:00...again if you call this a press roll:

Also, I can't remember the Springsteen song, it was a hit, but it was before Max...the fill starts as a press roll, sort of, but the guy kind of loses it by end....man, I used to able to remember this stuff!
Vinny maddog lopez?
Newmark plays with such finess

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
We're talking schooled hands . OK /

Matt Sorum

Tommy Aldridge

Chris Slade

Carmine Appice

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Some more examples from this old thread.
(link for brevity - I don't mean "use the search". Heck, it took me six or eight tries to find it and I knew more or less what I was looking for.)

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bobby Chouinard comes to mind
Alex Van Halen... nice brush work on Big Bad Bill also

Last edited:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember Ringo saying that he actually could not do a proper “press” role as he called it. I don’t think I ever heard him use one in the Beatles catalogue or Charlie Watts for that matter. Bonham could do it. I think it really adds another dimension to throw them in rock tunes when appropriate.
Thoughts?
Ringo plays some beautiful, clean, rolls in Nowhere Man, You Won't See Me, Ticket To Ride to name a few. Charlie doesn't play many rolls in Stones songs, but he has great hand technique. I've heard him play clean, even, rolls during sound check when he's messing around.

Edit: I forgot Charlie's masterful playing in 19th Nervous Breakdown. There's also an old Stones song called "Ride On, Baby" where Charlie plays a nice roll on his floor tom during the intro. But he'd be the first to tell you that if it's not necessary for the song, why do it?

Last edited:

Drm1979

Reaction score
Bill ward
Dave Grohl
Taylor Hawkins
Danny Carey
Travis Barker
Tre Cool

I'm going from memory on some of these but I believe at one point that they all did rolls on songs.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Roger Taylor from Queen is using a lot of rolls with Great effect. Occuring especially on the earlier Records up to a Day at the races.

Vicey

Reaction score
Tenth-Avenue Freeze-Out?

Also, I can't remember the Springsteen song, it was a hit, but it was before Max...the fill starts as a press roll, sort of, but the guy kind of loses it by end....man, I used to able to remember this stuff!
[/QUOTE]

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Definitely Mitch Mitchell, all of Zappas drummers... It might depend on how we define “rolls”. Double stroke, buzz (multiple bounce, orchestral, press), Single stroke? I think it’s generally accepted, although not entirely accurate, that jazz drummers use more double strokes than rock drummers.

Latest posts