Rock Drummers who actually used Rolls

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
How about Stephen Jo Bladd from J Geils Band. he did plenty of them. Dennis Elliott from Foreigner did them too.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hard to incorporate rolls while playing at the volume that is expected of modern rock performance. And as that volume demand has been there for quite a while now, less and less rolls enter the established vocabulary of what "sounds like" a rock drumming performance.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tenth-Avenue Freeze-Out?

Also, I can't remember the Springsteen song, it was a hit, but it was before Max...the fill starts as a press roll, sort of, but the guy kind of loses it by end....man, I used to able to remember this stuff!
It is Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and it IS Max! It’s from Born To Run, Max’s first record with Bruce. Bet he wishes he had a “do-over.”

But he more than made up for it on Badlands from Darkness On The Edge Of Town, and Two Hearts and I’m A Rocker from The River, just to name a few. And check out the Detroit Medley on the No Nukes record or any of the Springsteen bootlegs. Max really showcases his technique.

Vicey

Reaction score
It is Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and it IS Max! It’s from Born To Run, Max’s first record with Bruce. Bet he wishes he had a “do-over.”

But he more than made up for it on Badlands from Darkness On The Edge Of Town, and Two Hearts and I’m A Rocker from The River, just to name a few. And check out the Detroit Medley on the No Nukes record or any of the Springsteen bootlegs. Max really showcases his technique.
All true, but I've often wished that Ernest "Boom" Carter had stayed with the band longer. I believe that Max has admitted that he could never replicate Carter's playing on the title track of Born to Run.

Vicey

Reaction score
Ok, I know Simon Kirke has used one a couple of times - right now I can only come up with this one at around 1:19..It's short so maybe some will say it's not a true press roll, but cool nonetheless IMO:

Simon Kirke's most famous roll is probably on Free's classic rock chestnut "All Right Now," between the guitar solo and the bass break.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The press roll during the horn fanfare to "All You Need Is Love" 'taint Ringo — it was played by a percussionist when the orchestra's part was pre-recorded.
Not according to The Beatles Recording Sessions, page 120: "...we overdubbed a snare drum roll by Ringo for the song's intro..." according to Geoff Emerick. I know that some people take issue with some of his recollections, but until I hear something more credible, I'm going with that. Studio one at EMI, overdub onto the original take from Olympic.

Dan

ogniR rratS

Reaction score
Hard to incorporate rolls while playing at the volume that is expected of modern rock performance. And as that volume demand has been there for quite a while now, less and less rolls enter the established vocabulary of what "sounds like" a rock drumming performance.
Keith Carlock doesn't have any trouble. His rolls are beautifully executed and like thunder.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chris Layton would do just fine if he couldn't do any rolls period because in my opinion no one has as deep a shuffle capability as he does...
He is the master of the Texas Shuffle. I've been relistening to all my SRV stuff for different reasons nowadays, now that I play drums more than I play guitar.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Amazing!

The press roll during the horn fanfare to "All You Need Is Love" 'taint Ringo — it was played by a percussionist when the orchestra's part was pre-recorded.
Not according to The Beatles Recording Sessions, page 120: "...we overdubbed a snare drum roll by Ringo for the song's intro..." according to Geoff Emerick. I know that some people take issue with some of his recollections, but until I hear something more credible, I'm going with that. Studio one at EMI, overdub onto the original take from Olympic.

Dan
Check this- read all ......and scroll/get to the very bottom

"ol Dan" might be correct::::---> Audio etc---->

if so) The most amazing (ie "structured") drumming of Ringo ever!!! "Starts on 2 and ends on "3" 2 measures later" (jda) " sure sounds like Ringo's snare"

"Since this is the basic role of a classical percussionist, and Ringo had no previous training in classical percussion, we should once again marvel at his ability to evolve in the recording studio and meet the needs of the composers. As a child growing up in WW2 England, he was probably regularly exposed to this type of music on the radio but the opportunity to perform it was probably non-existent. Listen to the strong accent on the entrance, the smooth flow of the strokes and the tapered ending. This part is well executed and effective.

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keith Carlock doesn't have any trouble. His rolls are beautifully executed and like thunder.
Didn't mean to imply that it was impossible or completely unheard of - just hard to make fit, because it is now so uncommon.

And then there's the question - do we really consider Keith Carlock to be a rock drummer? I'm not saying no - because of course he can play rock great. But my response was more aimed at the some kind of perceived center of rock - not the Steely Dan, Toto, James Taylor, Sting, etc... jazzy fringe of rock. :)

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All true, but I've often wished that Ernest "Boom" Carter had stayed with the band longer. I believe that Max has admitted that he could never replicate Carter's playing on the title track of Born to Run.
My understanding is Ernie Carter was never in The E Street Band. Max got the gig after Bruce fired Vinnie “Mad Dog” Lopez and they brought in Ernie to play the title track “Born To Run” because Max wasn’t getting the feel he wanted. Max is on the rest of the record... But I agree Ernie’s playing on the title track really stands out.

MrYikes

Reaction score
Rock always needed to feel anxious and urgent, so single sticking was normal, but since guitar players volume button was either on or off, I tried to find ways to create dynamics and a simple roll leading into a sax solo worked well. I remember experimenting to see if coming in on 2.5, 3 or 3.5 would work better. The band felt what I was doing and joined with me. I never wanted to over-use it, kinda like pepper jack cheese.

Latest posts