Rock Drummers who actually used Rolls

1990rookout

Reaction score
"Rolls" is a pretty wide term. I have heard a lot of drags and 5 strokes (including "inside 5's") over the years. Those would be easier to incorporate into the groove. . Carter Beauford anyone?
Anything longer than that is tough, but it's been done.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tenth-Avenue Freeze-Out?

Also, I can't remember the Springsteen song, it was a hit, but it was before Max...the fill starts as a press roll, sort of, but the guy kind of loses it by end....man, I used to able to remember this stuff!
[/QUOTE]

Yup. That has to go down in history as the worst recorded press roll of all time, at least among hit songs.

Vicey

Reaction score
My understanding is Ernie Carter was never in The E Street Band. Max got the gig after Bruce fired Vinnie “Mad Dog” Lopez and they brought in Ernie to play the title track “Born To Run” because Max wasn’t getting the feel he wanted. Max is on the rest of the record... But I agree Ernie’s playing on the title track really stands out.
Springsteen's autobiography has him firing Vini Lopez first, then bringing in Carter on David Sancious' recommendation in order not to cancel a gig. Wikipedia has him in the band from February to August of 1974, though who knows how many gigs that was. Then when Sancious and Carter left together because Sancious got his own recording contract, Springsteen put an ad in the Village Voice, auditioned 30 drummers, and picked Max.

I'm not saying that's the absolute truth; it's just what Springsteen published.

Vicey

Reaction score
Yup. That has to go down in history as the worst recorded press roll of all time, at least among hit songs.
[/QUOTE]

Boom Carter should have stuck around for one more song.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Not according to The Beatles Recording Sessions, page 120: "...we overdubbed a snare drum roll by Ringo for the song's intro..." according to Geoff Emerick. I know that some people take issue with some of his recollections, but until I hear something more credible, I'm going with that. Studio one at EMI, overdub onto the original take from Olympic.

Dan
I hadn't read that quote from Emerick (and I have that book, so my bad), but I'll certainly take his word on it.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not going to go back and test my theory, but I don't think there is a Primus song where Tim Alexander didn't use double stroke rolls.

DBC

Reaction score
Anyone know Scott Churilla? He played with Reverend Horton Heat for a long time. Tasty rolls on the track It's Martini Time.

jeffhowe

Reaction score
I remember Ringo saying that he actually could not do a proper “press” role as he called it. I don’t think I ever heard him use one in the Beatles catalogue or Charlie Watts for that matter. Bonham could do it. I think it really adds another dimension to throw them in rock tunes when appropriate.
Thoughts?
All you need is Love, Being for the benefit for Mr. Kite, Nowhere Man. There are some more I'm sure, just can't remember at the moment!

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember Ringo saying that he actually could not do a proper “press” role as he called it. I don’t think I ever heard him use one in the Beatles catalogue or Charlie Watts for that matter. Bonham could do it. I think it really adds another dimension to throw them in rock tunes when appropriate.
Thoughts?
Ringo makes use of two stroke rolls in Nowhere Man, and they really add to the song.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Bonham plays lots of doubles in this live solo and a short buzz roll that you can hear and watch at around 2:58.

PS: looks like he’s wearing those Adidas Rom track shoes at about 10:18. Great for drum shoes.

Last edited:

Han

Reaction score
It seems as if we have a difference of opinion on what a roll actually is. I've heard drummers and others musicians call a fill a roll. My understanding was always that a roll was either Orchestral (Buzz, Press, Multiple Bounce) or Rudimental (Double Stroke, Mama Dada, RR-LL) Rolls might be a part in a fill.

Latest posts