Rock Drummers who actually used Rolls

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems as if we have a difference of opinion on what a roll actually is. I've heard drummers and others musicians call a fill a roll. My understanding was always that a roll was either Orchestral (Buzz, Press, Multiple Bounce) or Rudimental (Double Stroke, Mama Dada, RR-LL) Rolls might be a part in a fill.
Best known as an open roll (doubles), and a closed roll (buzz).

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bonham plays lots of doubles in this live solo and a short buzz roll that you can hear and watch at around 2:58.

PS: looks like he’s wearing those Adidas Rom track shoes at about 10:18. Great for drum shoes.
Also, here are two short buzz rolls from Wishbone Ash’s “Blind Eye,” at about :33 and again at about 3:14.

Last edited:

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember Ringo saying that he actually could not do a proper “press” role as he called it. I don’t think I ever heard him use one in the Beatles catalogue or Charlie Watts for that matter. Bonham could do it. I think it really adds another dimension to throw them in rock tunes when appropriate.
Thoughts?
Well i’m 80 and when i started in the early 50s at age 14 the opposed grip was the way were taught. So the press roll was the thing we all had to master. My first snare was a student Premier
with a natural skin head that had a lousy surface with very little rebound, and a big rough patch i had to play around especially with brushes. NB: Teacher insisted we master brushes.
The snares were consisted of a cloth cord wrapped with fine wires. So in a nutshell i had to really work at getting a crisp press roll. How things have changed over the years with snare drums but i play all music genre’ and i use press rolls in all. They are great in Blues and Jazz and “yes Virginia” when playing old time Waltzes (you youngn’s
must feel sick hearing that !) At did you ever go to the Circus and hear the drummer holding those long press roles ending with a cymbal crash while the trapeze people did their thing ? Double strike roll would not give that same effect. Early Dixieland music was all press rolls.
I have Osteo in wrists, fingers, and hands but still use the press roll.. actually i can‘t master the double stroke.. But the press will get you through a lot.. and makes for wonderful fills. Oh, i just treated myself to a Mapex Brass Cat. Wow its so sensitive that press rolls are a snap (pun intended) So folks learn how to play ‘em.. think you‘ll find the opposed grip works best but thats only my opinion.
Cheers

Peano

Reaction score
Off the top of my head: Bernard Purdie, Steve Ferrone and Earl Palmer all played beautiful closed rolls on records. Anyone who was trained in rudimental drumming can play them.

Reaction score
DINO DANELLI...His entrance to Lonely Too Long, The fade in intro to America the Beautiful where he's playing a street beat w/9 & 17 stroke rolls. Dino had really smooth doubles.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. Tommy Keene, he's in my top 10 favorite musicians of all time, R.I.P. John Richardson on the drums here, right? I think this is his first appearance on record with TK. Always liked his playing. Tasteful, straightforward, really knows the song. His drumming with some of the other bands he's been in is also awesome, if you haven't heard it (Shoes, Gin Blossoms, Adam Schmitt, Three Hour Tour).

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I remember Ringo saying that he actually could not do a proper “press” role as he called it. I don’t think I ever heard him use one in the Beatles catalogue or Charlie Watts for that matter. Bonham could do it. I think it really adds another dimension to throw them in rock tunes when appropriate.
Thoughts?
Keith Moon “drove“ a Rolls, and he didn’t even have a license.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. Tommy Keene, he's in my top 10 favorite musicians of all time, R.I.P. John Richardson on the drums here, right? I think this is his first appearance on record with TK. Always liked his playing. Tasteful, straightforward, really knows the song. His drumming with some of the other bands he's been in is also awesome, if you haven't heard it (Shoes, Gin Blossoms, Adam Schmitt, Three Hour Tour).
Yes! John's drumming is always perfect. Love the dry sounds on Illiterature by Adam Schmitt, which were kind of a departure for the usual big sounds on TK's records (love those too). I got to know TK over the years and helped him a bit with some of his shows here in MPLS. One of my favorite nights ever was a show I put together here with my band High on Stress, Tommy and our other mutual friend Slim Dunlap. My band backed Slim and Slim joined us for some of our tunes and then Tommy and band. John Richardson was not on that particular tour, Rob Brill (who is also a phenomenal drummer who toured with TK for a while back in the 80s) was on that tour. Sorry for the slight thread hijack here, but Tommy is also in my top 10 of all time and was a lovely person as well.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to think many of those were just fast singles, but watching him live many times over the years, I've found that a lot of what I thought were "singles" are actually doubles.
After thinking about it there is the single stroke roll. Guess I was thinking double strokes.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the mid 90's to early 2000's Chad Sexton was all over double stroke rolls. Channeled his drum corp past often with big doubles.

Coolvan

Reaction score
Ok, I know Simon Kirke has used one a couple of times - right now I can only come up with this one at around 1:19..It's short so maybe some will say it's not a true press roll, but cool nonetheless IMO:

Andy Newmark sneaks a little one in here at around 2:00...again if you call this a press roll:

Also, I can't remember the Springsteen song, it was a hit, but it was before Max...the fill starts as a press roll, sort of, but the guy kind of loses it by end....man, I used to able to remember this stuff!
Simon Kirke also used one in the middle of the song "Alright Now"when he was with Free. You'll have to get the album version. The radio version edited most of it out.