Rock Songs with Great Hi-Hat Work?

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anything Stewart Copeland does. Todd sucherman live has some killer hat playing.

Last edited:

moonbabie

Reaction score
how about this mind blowing 9/8 groove...
with the late great Allen Holdsworth on guitar

Jnormousss

Reaction score
Barracuda by Heart. I've always loved how the hats sing on this track. Nothing superfluous about it. And the hi hat barks in the prechorus/chorus are so tasty. Great example of the power of simplicity.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know I always bring up Tommy Ramone as a good example of dynamics in a band, and to some it may be a bit of a contradiction since the Ramones was quite a wall of sound.
But listen to this live clip and try to concentrate on Tommys hi-hat work (and the cymbals) - it really is what gives a good song all the dynamics, in spite of the massive sound.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This one threw me the first time I tried to learn it. Crunchy sound edges.

You need to listen for it, he's subtle, the splashes keep the groove flowing, love those small things. An the fills are out there, but punchy and confident. One of the greatest drum tracks.

Richie was up there with Stewart playing some super tasty hats with a original twist. Maybe the first X-hat grove to get notice...

This came to mind listening to that Little Feat track.

boomstick

Reaction score
When I switched to 16s it made me want to do less hi hat work. They sounded great but it was more work physically and harder to get a quick articulate sound out of them
I was thinking about this. Haven't used 16's, but I imagine there would be a lot of "slop" compared to smaller sizes, so intricate patterns might be tough. I know Stewart Copeland used 13's with The Police. Maybe the thing to do is crash them with your foot a lot? Mounting a tambourine with them might sound cool too.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Guys. I’m already enjoying my sizzling, slurping playlist. Keep the recommendations coming.
E0841F70-0200-4FB7-B3FC-09DE2E7700C0.png