langmick

Reaction score
Tasty Garibaldi hats.

Mike Clark can play the hats.

Tasty Lucketta hats. Great drum sound.

Last edited:

gergeef

Reaction score
Andy Newmark all over Roxy Music: Avalon. Some of my favorite drumming put to [tape].

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out Charlie by the red hot chili peppers. Lots of syncopation and little nuances on that one. Especially on the live versions.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Playing the hats has little to do with the size hats you play and everything to do with how you play them. Shoulder to tip playing palm down will help gain a better swing in your groove and fatten your whole feel.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another one from the late great Richie Hayward of Little Feat. Deceptively complex drum parts, the use of toms punctuating his grooves, and subtle hi hat work have been hallmarks of his playing. The open hi hat work around the 16ths on this great tune creates an unexpected texture, and his ability to lay a smooth groove while adding his embellishments inside the arrangement is on full display here:

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm currently getting my ass kicked trying to learn Neil Peart's hit-hat work on La Villa Strangiato. That was Neil's "Hi-hat album", for sure.
I was wondering when someone would mention this particular song - definitely a workout!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Four pages of replies on Hi Hat work and no one mentions this song....?...

It's 90% hi-hat and wah wah. Unless you don't consider it to be "Rock". I do.

langmick

Reaction score
More Richie Hayward. He was a master of the hats, splashes and tom hits in grooves. What a player. Shaken N Stirred has a LOT of great creative drumming. He came at it from a different place.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun question and cool suggestions gang... Congratulations and welcome to the 16" HH club VB!

As a pop player, for me other than all of the afore mentioned Stewart / Police cuts, tracks that come to me are....

Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgettin' (Jeff Porcaro) Amazing 16th note base
Gino Vannelli - Nightwalker (Vinnie Colaiuta) Smooth open pluse in head and turns and pretty busy the whole track
Level 42 - It's Over (Phil Gould) You have to listen but a lot of different techniques here in a changing pattern

Last edited: