Rock Songs with Great Hi-Hat Work?

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anything by Stewart Copland with The Police.
Also Stewart Copland - the hihat part to "Red Rain" by Peter Gabriel
When I came to this thread, this is EXACTLY what I was going to write!! Wow, that's a bit freaky.

gabo

DBC

Reaction score
London Calling by The Clash. Drummer is Topper Headon. The tempo stays the same throughout but as he changes his hi hat patterns, it changes the feel of the song. Also, it's a shuffle. Killer!

alan818

Reaction score
I recently picked up great-sounding, 16-inch hi-hats that are inspiring me to pay much more attention to what I'll call 'hat tricks!'

From what rock and blues songs should I steal ideas for putting more sizzle and slurp in my playing.
Stewart Copeland: “Walking on the Moon”.

Actually, just listen to the Police.
Copeland is a master on the high-hats.

GregR

Reaction score
I always thought that Swingtown by Steve Miller is pretty relentless on the hi hats. Although the bass drum is more difficult.

vapor trail

Reaction score
I recently picked up great-sounding, 16-inch hi-hats that are inspiring me to pay much more attention to what I'll call 'hat tricks!'

From what rock and blues songs should I steal ideas for putting more sizzle and slurp in my playing.
Five pages in, surprised not to see this song from Journey mentioned. Steve Smith's hi-hat and ride parts often set Journey songs apart from usual "rock" patterns. The Party is Over was released on the Captured album as the only studio recording. Contains some tasty (and challenging to get clean) hi-hat playing.

itsjjp

Reaction score
Goodness, I love pretty well all of the suggestions I've seen on one out of 5 pages. Someone mentioned disco, and I didn't see any references to Charlie Watts in the page that I read, so here's a tip on one of his that I love. If I was a Dancer from the Rarities release. The hat work is so tasty. Nothing challenging in terms of time or anything, it's ALL about the feel and sound he gets. CW is amazing on this kind of hi-hat work. I love the line in the song, "If I was a drummer, I'd never miss a beat!" I also love the wonderful, crisp, papery snare sound he gets, especially when they boost in the mix... When he's playing it with his high tom Motown style it's more subdued, and then it switches to all snare and to me it sounds like they turn it up in the mix. My guess it that's a Ludwig Super Sensitive. SO good, but I digress. Hope you dig the hi-hat sound recommendation. If you can make hats sound like CW doing disco, then you're well on your way to more complex stuff. Actually, if you can do that then you can stop there! :)

Zeroesque

Reaction score
Easy to go with the necessarily impeccable hat work of classic shuffles like "Rosanna" or "Fool in the Rain," but I'll pick other tracks by these guys:

John Bonham, Led Zeppelin, "The Crunge"
Jeff Porcaro, Toto, "Jake to the Bone"

Other hat work that immediately comes to mind as being nearly foundational to the composition or musicality of a (hit) song:

Neal Peart, Rush, "Subdivisions"
Larry Mullen Jr., U2, "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
Stevie Wonder, "Superstition"

langmick

Reaction score
Here's another one with Steve Perry on it...it's pretty similar to The Party's Over. Some tasty hats!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, just listen to the Police.
Copeland is a master on the high-hats.
Yer darn tootin'!
Copeland did so much excellent hi-hat work that it's hard to pick one song over the other where he practically changed the craft wholesale. One of my favorites is "O My God".

f15c

Reaction score
Led Zeppelin - Fool in the Rain and Toto - Rosanna. Love that shuffle and groove

Shawn1968

Reaction score
Not that he used a hi-hat often but when he did I loved the results/ the sound. 14” Paiste 2002 Sound Edge’s I believe?

madhermit

Reaction score
Smashing Pumpkins
Geek USA has awesome drumming. Watch it live, Jimmy Chamberlain is a monster!

heythere

Reaction score
Ringo playing on "I Want To Hold Your Hand" is just perfect for that song. The way he uses the hi-hat to bring the song to a feverous pitch. It is what we first loved about his playing for the song.

MICHAELT

Reaction score
Billy Ficca’s hi-hat parts and overall drumming on Television’s “Marquee Moon” is still my favorite. So musical, and organically recorded, during my favorite era/locale of music .. ‘70’s-early ‘80’s CBGB’s bred, among so many other great and influential drummers.

SonicTitan

Reaction score
Steely Dan - Home At Last

I remember it took me so long to get the Purdy shuffle down. Its so easy to overthink it.

MICHAELT

Reaction score
Also Jason McGerr.. should be Dr. McGerr ..surgical precision, musically perfect, hi-hat with equal parts nuance and understated flash. Practice, practice, practice repeat. He drives Death Cab For Cutie. Just one example here.

Dave Patrick

Reaction score
Anything with Bernard Purdie or Nate Smith.
Hollywood Nights- Bob Seger
Oh Sherry-Steve Perry(Larrie Londin)
You Keep Me Rocking-Little Richard
I Just Want To Celebrate-Rare Earth