Rock Songs with Great Hi-Hat Work?

Mtwhite

Reaction score
I play this track with my Petty band and yeah, I don't hit a crash cymbal except once at the very end. It ain't easy...
Funny you ended with “It ain’t easy”, that’s the first thing I thought when I read that answer too. “Don’t hit it...don’t hit it.....don’t.....

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Ziggy Modeliste was a masterful hat player, not quite blues/rock of course, but if you like drums you’ll like playing with Zig. He played the hats as an instrument in itself, not just a metronomic approach. He played a lot of the Meters classics two-handed (both sticks on the hats I mean) and just playing those tunes will put you in a different zone - it’s right into that funky Nawlins time that grooves sooooo good and inspires a different kind of feel from the ‘usual’. Makes you think outside the box AND showcases nice hats.

alan818

Reaction score
Fun question and cool suggestions gang... Congratulations and welcome to the 16" HH club VB!

As a pop player, for me other than all of the afore mentioned Stewart / Police cuts, tracks that come to me are....

Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgettin' (Jeff Porcaro) Amazing 16th note base
Gino Vannelli - Nightwalker (Vinnie Colaiuta) Smooth open pluse in head and turns and pretty busy the whole track
Level 42 - It's Over (Phil Gould) You have to listen but a lot of different techniques here in a changing pattern
Yeah, Phil Gould for sure. In my opinion, an underrated player.

Reaction score
It's funny...the OP got 16" hats, and I just got some 8" hats from Sabian-contrasts are fun. Just trying some stuff out-they are crispy as heck but not for every day, that's for sure. I have always found that complex patterns are definitely easier to play on smaller hats, but there's something about the slosh of a big open hat that I love. I've loved this thread; you guys really put me in tune with some great tracks to listen to, so thanks!

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it took me six pages to remember this:

AndyP

Reaction score
I think Matt Cameron with Soundgarden is a great example of open hihat usage as applied to rock, and also Chad Smith. For an overall mastery I think, as said Stewart Copeland's work with The Police which is more reggae orientated but definitely worth studying, and definitely Mike Clarke with anything he does but especially his funk playing and of course Steve Gadd.. those guys hihat work or "tricks" are definitely more in the fusion or funk category though where hihat things can really have a chance to come out and shine

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't think of this one sooner, Phil Rudd just drives it with the hi hats.

Can't believe it took until page 4 before someone finally mentioned Phil Rudd! His hi-hat groove is a thing of subtle beauty and his hats always sound great, every song.

langmick

Reaction score
Bullet Boys Smooth UP in YA, great hi hat work for sure!
Ha, great hat sound! I wonder if that's a ghost drummer...great groove though!

How about this one?

And this. I almost made Mark late for a gig in Pittsburgh talking drums. Guy has had some experiences! Felt kinda cool that when I showed him a pic of my kit he grabbed my phone and zoomed in to get a closer look. Almost fanboyed out.

This is some tasty work by Steve Smith. Lots to borrow from here.

And one last one, a well-recorded one featuring Bill Berg. His kit sounds just amazing. Love this stuff.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Audioslave - Yesterday and Tomorrow
A class example of how much you can do for a rock song with eights and quarters.