Rocket Lugs...what years where they used

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just curious.
Going into the studio Sunday and taking a 6 lug NOB Slingerland that has Rocket Lugs (my son bought the naked shell at least a decade ago @the CT drum show). The lugs came off a Marching drum that had WFL throw and butt...anyway just made me wonder what period the lugs were in play.

Thanks
dtk

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive missed where Slingerland had a lug refered to as the "Rocket" lug... can you post a pic? I have heard people call the "Sound King" lugs intorduced in 1955 as a Rocket, but not a name Slaingerland used for them. I Know other brands had "Rocket" models but I did not know they did, so this is cool new info for me.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ive missed where Slingerland had a lug refered to as the "Rocket" lug... can you post a pic? I have heard people call the "Sound King" lugs intorduced in 1955 as a Rocket, but not a name Slaingerland used for them. I Know other brands had "Rocket" models but I did not they did, so this is cool new info for me.
Rocket lugs were/are primarily identified with Gretsch who used them up until the early 1950s when they switched to their own design. Other brands used them too but as far as I know Slingerland was not a user of them. I think the "Rocket" lug was made by W&A who supplied most American drum companies with hardware up until the 1960s. It was an art deco-ish lug along the lines of the Ludwig & Ludwig Imperial but different. I wish someone would repro it today. The design is surely public domain by now. It would be an awesome lug design to have available new for restorations or custom builds.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's that Slingerland part that is what's throwing me off as well, thus my orgional question. I never heard of Slingerland having a lug called "rocket"... but I ask because I am always learning stuff still about our beloved hobby!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's that Slingerland part that is what's throwing me off as well, thus my orgional question. I never heard of Slingerland having a lug called "rocket"... but I ask because I am always learning stuff still about our beloved hobby!
If I understand the original post correctly he has a Slingerland metal shell with Gretsch rocket lugs on it which he installed. Slingerland didn't make it like that originally. While I guess anything is possible I have never seen a Slingerland drum with Rocket lugs that were factory installed. Generally they are seen on pre 1950 Gretsch and also some W&A drums ( which typically are a mix of parts from different manufacturers). That is why I thought that Rocket lugs might have been made by W&A but it sounds like they were made for Gretsch and W&A acquired them thru Gretsch.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I understand the original post correctly he has a Slingerland metal shell with Gretsch rocket lugs on it which he installed. Slingerland didn't make it like that originally. While I guess anything is possible I have never seen a Slingerland drum with Rocket lugs that were factory installed. Generally they are seen on pre 1950 Gretsch and also some W&A drums ( which typically are a mix of parts from different manufacturers). That is why I thought that Rocket lugs might have been made by W&A but it sounds like they were made for Gretsch and W&A acquired them thru Gretsch.
Yes...I'm pretty sure its a slingy shell which I added rockets to because it fit the holes but...I remember reading somewhere that Rogers used the rockets too...briefly...so my shell could be an old Rogers.

I never knew that W/A didn't make them since a lot of their old drums have them...a new tidbit.

I'm bring the drum to a recording date on Sunday...I'll try and snap some pics.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Boy, I wish Gretsch or Maxwell or someone would get one of their Far East suppliers to repro this design. It's just a cool looking art-deco design that will fit both flat and beaded snare shells. If Gretsch did them to match the bolt pattern of their current double lug (if they didn't originally) they would be a cool option on Broadkaster snare drums as the original "vintage" style lugs that came on these 3 ply drums.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Rocket Drum Company used them in the 30's along with Rogers, Leedy and Gretsch parts. I had a Rocket snare fro that period that was a Frankenstein of parts......but factory correct.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is all new to me, so thanks for the information, guys. American Pressure Casting (APC); will have to remember that one.

I can't help but think that the name "Rocket" was chosen because of the newness of the technology. Germany used its (think Wernh
er Von Braun) rocket research from the mid-late 1930s to develop the first serious rocket-propelled warheads of the era - and commence the Blitz on London. You have to suspect that the term "rocket" had to be on everybody's mind at that time.

GeeDeeEmm