Rodney Holmes

Freewill3

Reaction score
Totally agree. Quite an interesting angle he places himself behind the drums, obviously it works for him. Great feel and groove!

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeh, Nacci, I saw him when he was just a kid, on his first big job, playing with Santana. This would have been about '93-'94-ish. He was smokin' straight out the gate. I think you would have dug it.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t know who this guy is but I like his style.
Hey Nacci - I've been listening to Rodney since his days with Jean Paul Bourelly - NYC late 80's. Amazing power trio with Reggie Washington on bass (brother of Kenny Washington). Rodney was pretty unknown back then, so he was from another planet when we saw him play. When he got the Santana gig we all thought - ok now the rest of the world will know about him.

Here's an old video from around that time - this is when JP was adding other players into the band. Just the trio was much better IMO - but the stuff Rodney plays is pretty funky..

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing Rodney Holmes at the Grammy Award playing with Santana ( I can't seem to find the clip...) and he pulled off the wildest, high octane lick you ever heard in your life around the kit and came back perfectly, continuing with the groove. It blew my mind. I found it years ago, but I has disappeared from Youtube.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I even made a drumcover of the song back then. I rarely did that as I am always insecure, but it was too inspiring not too.

Made it about 10 years ago and uploaded because of the same reason (and sort of hidden) later.

That was fun to watch Musiqman. Easily one of my favorite songs on the album. Nice work.

owr

Reaction score
He played for a number of years with a guitarist named Steve Kimock. Saw him many times in small clubs. Honestly not my favorite for that particular band, but he is obviously a phenomenal player and seems like a good guy. I’m sure you can find a lot on YouTube searching for Steve Kimock band + Rodney Holmes.

Reaction score
Rodney was also in Wayne Shorter's working band for about a year. That was after the "High Life" record (I LOVE (!!!!!!) that record.) Will Calhoun toured with Wayne for a second on that record (he played on the recording,) but eventually Wayne scaled the band down a bit, and Rodney did it for a while. There must be clips of that out there too.

Wayne's rhythm section for that year was Rodney, Alphonso Johnson, and Jim Beard. That rhythm section also did Phipps Catherine's record called "Guitar Groove." I love that record!

Rodney also played in guitarist David Gilmore's band (not the guy from Floyd) at the same time that David was in my band and we recorded together. David was Rodney's connection to getting Wayne's gig, Rodney played on David's "Ritualism" (which is VERY good.) There is also George Colligian's (also a really good drummer) record called "Mad Science."

The afforemention Stebe Kimock band stuff is good, (not my favorite jam band stuff) but you do hear more of the strong hookup between Rodney and Alphonso. He is on Don Byron's "Do The Boomerang" (a tribute to Jr Walker) which is good, and Jane Getter's "Jane" which is REALLY good. One of his first (if not his first) recordings was with guitarist Clyde Criner (I forget the record's title.)

I believe Rodney is still living pretty close to where I live. He's a good guy. We run into each other occasionally. However, due to no fault of his own, the end of the Santana gig was not "pretty" (he's not the only drummer who has had this experience.)

So a good guy, and great player who has held gigs with Santana, Wayne Shorter, and Steve Kimock. Three band leaders in the top of their respective genre's, among MANY other recordings and gigs along the way.

I'd say he's a musician we should ALL be aware of!
MSG

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rodney was also in Wayne Shorter's working band for about a year. That was after the "High Life" record (I LOVE (!!!!!!) that record.) Will Calhoun toured with Wayne for a second on that record (he played on the recording,) but eventually Wayne scaled the band down a bit, and Rodney did it for a while. There must be clips of that out there too.

Wayne's rhythm section for that year was Rodney, Alphonso Johnson, and Jim Beard. That rhythm section also did Phipps Catherine's record called "Guitar Groove." I love that record!

Rodney also played in guitarist David Gilmore's band (not the guy from Floyd) at the same time that David was in my band and we recorded together. David was Rodney's connection to getting Wayne's gig, Rodney played on David's "Ritualism" (which is VERY good.) There is also George Colligian's (also a really good drummer) record called "Mad Science."

The afforemention Stebe Kimock band stuff is good, (not my favorite jam band stuff) but you do hear more of the strong hookup between Rodney and Alphonso. He is on Don Byron's "Do The Boomerang" (a tribute to Jr Walker) which is good, and Jane Getter's "Jane" which is REALLY good. One of his first (if not his first) recordings was with guitarist Clyde Criner (I forget the record's title.)

I believe Rodney is still living pretty close to where I live. He's a good guy. We run into each other occasionally. However, due to no fault of his own, the end of the Santana gig was not "pretty" (he's not the only drummer who has had this experience.)

So a good guy, and great player who has held gigs with Santana, Wayne Shorter, and Steve Kimock. Three band leaders in the top of their respective genre's, among MANY other recordings and gigs along the way.

I'd say he's a musician we should ALL be aware of!
MSG
Very interesting insight for sure. I intentionally did not look Holmes up on google to get back stories like this.

Guy looks so young I would have never expected that he went back so far.

nylontip

Reaction score
Rodney was also the drummer on Santana's Grammy award winning #1 hit, "Smooth" with Rob Thomas

Latest posts