Roger 5 Piece "Tower" kit?

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
I recently was offered a Rogers kit from a friend of a friend after her husband passed away and I have never heard of this set before.
It is a Black Onyx 5 piece with matching snare referred to as the seller as a "tower" kit. Also has the Rogers "Holiday" labels in the drums .
The sizes are 20, 14, two 12 toms and 14 snare.
Any info or help identifying it would be greatly appreciated.
It also came with a trap case filled with the original hardware, bass pedal, bags, the original receipt and some older looking Zildjian cymbals.
I guess this gentleman bought them a long time ago and the have been in storage for many years as he never really took to playing.
I believe I got a real bargain but cant find much info on this particular model.
Also, I am in Canada but bought them and will pick them up in upstate NY when the border reopens.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rogers Tower was the same basic set up as Slingerland Stage Band or Ludwig Club Dates.....single tension lugs. Less metal mass on the shells so theoretically they resonate better. They don't usually command the same money as the standard 2 lug kits....but are made every bit as good....and can sound as good or better. They made less of the Tower kits than the standard dual lug kits. It's a preference thing. Holiday labels are from the 60's either Cleveland or Dayton tags. The Clevelands have more collector "mojo." Sounds like you got a fabulous kit.
Tower snare drum with 6 lugs or something else?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tama CW has explained this well, well definitely with an insight into the quality of what you've got.
The drums, however, since we can now see the pics, do not appear to be Towers.
The 14" FT is quite valuable.
If it were me, I'd keep it all together and intact. You've got quite the piece of history there, with all of the stands and the receipt, not to mention the excellent drums.

Last edited:

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Great info. I havent actually seen them yet, just these few pics. My friend who is storing them for me will send some new pics later, they just arrived at his place this weekend.
Thanks you so much again for the great info.

Attachments

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Rogers Tower was the same basic set up as Slingerland Stage Band or Ludwig Club Dates.....single tension lugs. Less metal mass on the shells so theoretically they resonate better. They don't usually command the same money as the standard 2 lug kits....but are made every bit as good....and can sound as good or better. They made less of the Tower kits than the standard dual lug kits. It's a preference thing. Holiday labels are from the 60's either Cleveland or Dayton tags. The Clevelands have more collector "mojo." Sounds like you got a fabulous kit.
Tower snare drum with 6 lugs or something else?
Thanks so much, I replied below accidentally.

jb111

Reaction score
That would definitely be an 8-lug snare on that kit. You have scored a gem of a kit. You don't see a lot of complete kits like that, especially in black onyx. I have a 5-piece Holiday kit in the Top Hat configuration with two 12" toms and the older style twin tom holder. I also have a matching Tower snare. So, a very similar kit. I assume yours is the Londoner setup?

Whatever the configuration, if they're clean they are wonderful drums. And yes, that 14" floor tom, especially in that finish, is not something you see all the time. What a score. Enjoy!

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
That would definitely be an 8-lug snare on that kit. You have scored a gem of a kit. You don't see a lot of complete kits like that, especially in black onyx. I have a 5-piece Holiday kit in the Top Hat configuration with two 12" toms and the older style twin tom holder. I also have a matching Tower snare. So, a very similar kit. I assume yours is the Londoner setup?

Whatever the configuration, if they're clean they are wonderful drums. And yes, that 14" floor tom, especially in that finish, is not something you see all the time. What a score. Enjoy!
Wow, thank you so much. I have had a set of Rogers years ago and loved them but I don't know much about them at all. I am super happy I got to buy these. I can't wait for the border to open so I can get back to NY and get them! haha. Thank you again.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
That is definitely a score right there! Those sizes in that finish are highly collectable. Those wraps are prone to cracking pretty easily so I would check for that since they have been in storage. It's also something to keep in mind since you live up in canada where it gets pretty cold. can't wait to see what the Zildjians are.

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
That is definitely a score right there! Those sizes in that finish are highly collectable. Those wraps are prone to cracking pretty easily so I would check for that since they have been in storage. It's also something to keep in mind since you live up in canada where it gets pretty cold. can't wait to see what the Zildjians are.
Thanks so much. My friend who has them said no cracks in the finish and that they look really well taken care of. So fingers crossed they remain that way until I can get them home. I have my Gretsch round badges up here and they haven been affected by the weather, since I moved up here from NYC. I am sure to keep them away from radiators and in their cases. Thank you again.

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Tama CW has explained this well, well definitely with an insight into the quality of what you've got.
If it were me, I'd keep it all together and intact. You've got quite the piece of history there, with all of the stands and the receipt, not to mention the excellent drums.
Thank so much. when I was speaking to the lady after I bought the drums she said "What should I do with all the cymbals and cases?" She found them all in storage after we had made a deal. She brought the trap case full of the hardware and the cymbals to my friend's house with her and I gave her some extra $ for them. I really wanted to keep the set together in honor of her Husband and to just to have honestly.

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
How did you see the pics before they were posted. lol... too funny..
An old band mate of mine was going to post them on eBay for her friend but said she knew someone who may want them or know some drummers in NY who may want them. My friend knew I like vintage and have always wanted another Rogers kit. She sent me the pics I posted below in email .She put us in touch and we made a deal for them. I mentioned I would like them if I could get them to my friend in Hudson and she offered to deliver them, I guess she only lives 45 minutes or so away from there. I have not seen them yet, just pics.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
An old band mate of mine was going to post them on eBay for her friend but said she knew someone who may want them or know some drummers in NY who may want them. My friend knew I like vintage and have always wanted another Rogers kit. She sent me the pics I posted below in email .She put us in touch and we made a deal for them. I mentioned I would like them if I could get them to my friend in Hudson and she offered to deliver them, I guess she only lives 45 minutes or so away from there. I have not seen them yet, just pics.
ah So Studrum was privy to the pictures prior to being posted here

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Thank you, I believe so as well.