Rogers ‘72 kit heads and tuning

kenpchef

Reaction score
Hi vintage experts out there, I am new to the forum and finally able to get back to drumming. I have been a percussionist and musician since 4 however had to take a hiatus due to life happening. I have a Rogers 72 set minus the snare and am in the process of replacing the heads. My goal is to have a great live sound but I plan on doing some personal recording at home. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions as to how you personally have achieved a superior sound from your Rogers toms. The kick just sounds amazing no matter what I do to it, but I am very curious what has worked for you. I have used remo heads in the past (several styles) but again I have been out of the scene for quite some time. Many thanks for your help
-K

A73155EB-3E22-43DE-9679-7DF6B9B9A88F.jpeg E42E5BBE-2810-495A-8B45-AFD6B89754F2.jpeg

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been building a shell pack of Rogers toms over the past few months and have been doing a lot of head experiments. They are versatile drums that work well with most options.

My favorite combination has been coated Remo vintage ambassadors over coated Evans reso 7 heads. This gives a warm round sound without a lot of stray overtones but not at all thuddy. The combination seems to work well for higher and lower tunings, where I tend to find regular coated ambassadors to have an unpleasant papery attack tuned very low and coated emperors can sound a little lifeless tuned high. The Vintage A are a nice middle ground.

What kind of music do you mostly play? Its hard to make bass drum suggestions without knowing if you want a short thuddy sound or a big ringing sort of feel

kenpchef

Reaction score
I play all styles of music but am looking for a jazz kit sound for a very general idea. I am looking for. I prefer the top heads tighter for more rebound however that usually brings the tuning pitch too high where the sound quality is very compromised. I love the Rogers for it’s warmth however I would like to get some definition, I don’t want resonance for days. To give you a sonic description of what I like here is a video of Jamire Williams that will give you an idea of what I am after. I hope this helps, I can’t thank you enough for your knowledge and guidance with this it is a very special project for me!

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For that kind of sound you are probably best with Remo coated ambassador top and bottom all around. I’m listening on a phone so its hard to get the bass drum sounds clearly, but coated ambassadors with felt strips would be my best guess

kenpchef

Reaction score
For that kind of sound you are probably best with Remo coated ambassador top and bottom all around. I’m listening on a phone so its hard to get the bass drum sounds clearly, but coated ambassadors with felt strips would be my best guess
Thanks 88, you don’t foresee any need to use any muffling or muting products?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not if you’re aiming for a similar sound to that video. The coated heads will tame enough overtones to get you there on the toms. The bass drum (again on the low quality speakers I’m listening on) sounds like a single ply coated batter with probably a felt strip for muffling

kenpchef

Reaction score
Not if you’re aiming for a similar sound to that video. The coated heads will tame enough overtones to get you there on the toms. The bass drum (again on the low quality speakers I’m listening on) sounds like a single ply coated batter with probably a felt strip for muffling
Fantastic, I appreciate all of the help immensely
Cheers
-K

Richie Paradise

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a similar kit & use Aquarian modern vintage heads on top of the toms and they sound great. Single ply clears on bottom. Very 40s vibe. Also try Remo Vintage Ambassadors for similar. Bass drum has a single ply Aquarian batter & modern vintage reso, no muffling. Love this kit, use it for all my big band work .

kenpchef

Reaction score
Thanks Richie! Anything out of the ordinary as far as tuning? Just curious what model do you refer to your kit as? I am trying to do my homework to find out anything beyond the year that this set was made.
Thanks!

Pylot

Reaction score
Hi vintage experts out there, I am new to the forum and finally able to get back to drumming. I have been a percussionist and musician since 4 however had to take a hiatus due to life happening. I have a Rogers 72 set minus the snare and am in the process of replacing the heads. My goal is to have a great live sound but I plan on doing some personal recording at home. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions as to how you personally have achieved a superior sound from your Rogers toms. The kick just sounds amazing no matter what I do to it, but I am very curious what has worked for you. I have used remo heads in the past (several styles) but again I have been out of the scene for quite some time. Many thanks for your help
-K

View attachment 562185 View attachment 562186
I have Slingerland and Ludwig drums, but tuning is tuning.

The one thing I recommend is to determine what note the shell puts out. I do that for all of my shells. Then I can decide on how to tune the heads.

Generally speaking you can tune the top or the bottom higher or lower than the opposite side. This will get you something between a sustained note or a muted note. If you tune the top and bottom to the same note as the shell the drum will resonate in a way that will surprise you. Try experimenting by tuning in thirds. Depending on the drum you might be able to go as much as fifths.

I have settled on thirds but that is just me. I only had one or two drums that could take the difference in head tension using fifths.

There are lots of apps for your phone that will let you determine the note of the drum. I got two round pieces of wood used for a "lazy susan" and put a swiveling plate between them. Covered the top with outdoor carpeting and put rubber feet on the bottom piece. Makes for a very handy platform for placing your drum on while you pull rims, clean up or maintain edges and tune the drum. I put a piece of towel on the bottom so that the resonance from the opposite head doesn't affect what the tune bot or phone app is hearing.

You will also find that the drum will go out of tune fairly quickly with a new head. So get them where you want them and be ready to tweak them after an hour or two of playing.

To me there is nothing more beautiful than a well tuned set of drums.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't own any Rogers, but have played a few. I'd say tune higher than some of the close-mic'ed youtube smaples, listen from out front. Open sounds, coated over clear Ambassador might be a good start for the toms.

Last edited:

kenpchef

Reaction score
I have Slingerland and Ludwig drums, but tuning is tuning.

The one thing I recommend is to determine what note the shell puts out. I do that for all of my shells. Then I can decide on how to tune the heads.

Generally speaking you can tune the top or the bottom higher or lower than the opposite side. This will get you something between a sustained note or a muted note. If you tune the top and bottom to the same note as the shell the drum will resonate in a way that will surprise you. Try experimenting by tuning in thirds. Depending on the drum you might be able to go as much as fifths.

I have settled on thirds but that is just me. I only had one or two drums that could take the difference in head tension using fifths.

There are lots of apps for your phone that will let you determine the note of the drum. I got two round pieces of wood used for a "lazy susan" and put a swiveling plate between them. Covered the top with outdoor carpeting and put rubber feet on the bottom piece. Makes for a very handy platform for placing your drum on while you pull rims, clean up or maintain edges and tune the drum. I put a piece of towel on the bottom so that the resonance from the opposite head doesn't affect what the tune bot or phone app is hearing.

You will also find that the drum will go out of tune fairly quickly with a new head. So get them where you want them and be ready to tweak them after an hour or two of playing.

To me there is nothing more beautiful than a well tuned set of drums.
Excellent information on tuning I especially like the Lazy Susan idea! I was also unaware that there were tuning bots for percussion! I’ve used tons of apps for guitars, I should’ve searched a long time ago for drums. I can’t wait to hear the tones I’m going to get. Much appreciated Pylot

Richie Paradise

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Richie! Anything out of the ordinary as far as tuning? Just curious what model do you refer to your kit as? I am trying to do my homework to find out anything beyond the year that this set was made.
Thanks!
I've always called it a '72 Fullerton but I'm sure someone told me they have a different name. Tuning wise they've always been a dream whatever I've put on them. Thin shells that sing.
Not the easiest to tell but here's a song where I play the Toms quite a bit (Koko by Duke Ellington)