Rogers 16” Tower Floor Tom?

SaranacJack

Reaction score
I love my Rogers Tower 12/14/20, but I’ve been thinking of adding on a 16” floor tom as well.

Did Rogers ever make a Tower (center lug) 16” floor tom?

I’ve never seen one, but that doesn’t mean much...

I’d never seen a 16” (deep) x 14” (diameter) Rogers floor tom until this year either - and they very much exist.

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My list of catalogs up to '67 still has Tower model floor toms. Only available as 14"x14". Cannot find a 16" model. Maybe special order, but not in the catalogs as far as I can find.

Jolo

Reaction score
Rogers did make the Cambridge (Tower like) center lug 16" and 15" diameter tenor drums though they were 12" deep.
They work great as floor toms.

SaranacJack

Reaction score
Rogers did make the Cambridge (Tower like) center lug 16" and 15" diameter tenor drums though they were 12" deep.
They work great as floor toms.
I would love to find a blue onyx one, though I’d imagine it’ll be years unless Bobby has one at his drum farm...

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's my 16x14, Cleveland, in Champaign Sparkle that looks very glass glitter. It has the markered-over Mercury tag, probably because these sized shells were mainly for the marching lines.
It weighs a TON!

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Hi Studrum, I haven't been here in a while.

Actually, 16x14 was not a marching size, and Mercury was not a marching model (as far as I can recall - I'm getting old). Mercury was a very inexpensive student line primarily on bass drums, which had empty center lugs through which passed a long t-rod. That tag wound up in there to save time during assembly: he probably had no Holiday tags on the bench at that moment.

I've seen in person only a few of your size floor toms, and they sounded huge, for sure. And they were heavy like most Cleveland drums tend to be. A sweet drum, and I would love to have a kit like that.

As far as Tower floors, no 16" were ever shown in a catalog as you said, but 12x15 were, and I have had 2 of those. They were early b&b drums, and were called the 'Spotlite' model. This name was used before the Tower name was introduced. The Spotlite drums were center-lugged, like a Tower, and were a less expensive, like a Tower, but used the same shells as a Holiday, like a Tower.

One problem with constructing a 16" Tower would be the need for really long tension rods to reach from the hoop down to those center lugs. They would need to be an inch longer than regular Tower ft rods. Hard to find, and I tried once when I had the idea to create a 16" Tower for a project I planned. Never did that project for other reasons.

Because of the lack of a 16" Tower ft, when a 16" floor tom was added to a 3-drum Tower set or other student kit, it always turns out to be a Holiday model because the 16" Tower didn't exist - so the dealer ordered them a Holiday, or sold one from stock.

Last edited: