Rogers 2 - tom setup questions

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First of all, in the swivomatic script badge era, and particularly Holiday drums, did Rogers sell any factory- original twin-tom sets? The Cook book shows the two different units in the Parts Catalogue section: the '62-'64 and the probably more common '64-'73, but the only factory-appearing sets are the Louie Bellson and maybe the Cozy Cole. I guess my question also means: were all Swivo-Script double ride tom sets aftermarket constructions?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First of all, in the swivomatic script badge era, and particularly Holiday drums, did Rogers sell any factory- original twin-tom sets? The Cook book shows the two different units in the Parts Catalogue section: the '62-'64 and the probably more common '64-'73, but the only factory-appearing sets are the Louie Bellson and maybe the Cozy Cole. I guess my question also means: were all Swivo-Script double ride tom sets aftermarket constructions?

In my world, Ride toms are the higher pitched ones on the bass.
The Top Hat set has the twin toms on the bass.
Dave Clark Londoner set has the twin toms on the bass.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my world, Ride toms are the higher pitched ones on the bass.
The Top Hat set has the twin toms on the bass.
Dave Clark Londoner set has the twin toms on the bass.
Sorry - yes, I am referring to "twin toms on the bass." I appreciate the clarification.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coolio. Had a feeling that’s what you meant, but Belson kits had twin bass drums ... some of them had a single tom mounted on each bass, which totaled two toms. Wanted to make sure we were speaking the same lingo.

With that said ... the Top Hat and the Londoner were both two toms mounted on a single bass.
Sincerely hope this helps.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Ok, here we go:

In the early 60's there was the Top Hat setup, which had twin same-sized toms on the bass. In those days there were also a couple of layouts with twin toms that had one of the toms hanging from the floor tom (Cozy Cole). Very scarce, I have never seen a complete one in person.

The earliest (62?) Bellson twin-bass outfit had two toms on a stand between the basses, but that evolved to one tom in the catalogs after that.

In the mid 60's there was the Top Hat only, shown last in the 64 catalog.

Then, in the 1967 catalog, the Top Hat was replaced by the Londoner (endorsed by Dave Clark) which had twin toms on it, 2 different sizes. Same layout, updated tom hardware, different sized toms.

This continued into the 70's and beyond. As the years went by, they added more sets with 3+ toms.

Keep in mind that in all of these layouts the configuration name (i.e. Top Hat) referred only to the layout of the drums, not the sizes. Buyers could order any sizes for the layout they wanted. For example, a Londoner could be ordered with 2 12's or 2 13's, etc. And you could order any size bass as well: I've seen a number of Londoners with an 18" bass, for example.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, here we go:

In the early 60's there was the Top Hat setup, which had twin same-sized toms on the bass. In those days there were also a couple of layouts with twin toms that had one of the toms hanging from the floor tom (Cozy Cole). Very scarce, I have never seen a complete one in person.

The earliest (62?) Bellson twin-bass outfit had two toms on a stand between the basses, but that evolved to one tom in the catalogs after that.

In the mid 60's there was the Top Hat only, shown last in the 64 catalog.

Then, in the 1967 catalog, the Top Hat was replaced by the Londoner (endorsed by Dave Clark) which had twin toms on it, 2 different sizes. Same layout, updated tom hardware, different sized toms.

This continued into the 70's and beyond. As the years went by, they added more sets with 3+ toms.

Keep in mind that in all of these layouts the configuration name (i.e. Top Hat) referred only to the layout of the drums, not the sizes. Buyers could order any sizes for the layout they wanted. For example, a Londoner could be ordered with 2 12's or 2 13's, etc. And you could order any size bass as well: I've seen a number of Londoners with an 18" bass, for example.
Thanks, Dan.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is a Cleveland era Top Hat set that I once owned. The dual tom holder was the first version offered by Rogers and wasn't as sturdy as the later version that came on Londoner 5 sets. Sizes are 20/12/12/16. Drums were Holidays with 5-ply Keller shells and beavertail lugs.

IMG_0078b.JPG

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
And then there's the esoteric stuff that we wise guys try out on our own.

I got script badge crazy and converted a set of bongos into 8" and 10" concert toms. Great idea, right? Wrong! Zero projection (because bongo bearing edges are not like the usual drum edges) and tough to reach. Sure looked cool, though:

1 Londoner 5 Montavilla Station 1.jpg

4 bongo Arm Mount.jpg

So then I tried this next idea. I had a black Vistalite concert tom that did have good projection, unlike the bongos. I wrapped it in blue sparkle and put Rogers hardware and a badge on it. I was looking for a kind of timbale sound, and gave this a whirl with some Swivomatic magic attached to the Londoner dual tom arm. Alas, it was too hard to reach the darn thing for the little I used it:

02 Blue Sparkle Knobby Side.JPG

05 Full Set.JPG

Latest posts