Rogers 60's Red Onyx wrap

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a BD hoop inlay that is starting to unglue so I'm trying to locate a replacement in case I screw up my repair job. I know I could probably find a repro at Precision or some other wrap shop, and I know the new Rogers offer some Dynas in red onyx, but I'd much prefer some new old stock if possible. The newer wrap doesn't realy have the translucent quality of the original, the red is much more opaque wich wouldn't really match the rest of my kit.
Anyway, I know it is somewhat of a long shot but if any of you have some, I only need a few feet x 1/2 inch. (Although I could by more if there's enough).

Thanks
20210727_012742.jpg

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the insert is still in one piece but coming unglued and have doubt about doing the repair yourself, you might consider sending to Precision to have the repair done. Finding an actual vintage wrap piece is going to be lucky. The old wrap will be brittle, so be careful with it.

Good luck either way.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto On Precision.
They can color match with their deep OLD stock wrap.
They did this on late 60s Rogers kit for me in this color.
Phenomenal match because they had actual old wrap in stock.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
How can you screw up a little bit of regluing? A dab here and a dab there. If in doubt, just tape down the loose ends for now.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How can you screw up a little bit of regluing? A dab here and a dab there. If in doubt, just tape down the loose ends for now.
The ungluing is not at one end of the strip, but in the middle. And it seems like there is some "loose" if I press it all back into place. If it were just a matter of putting a drop of glue and pressing on it for 30 seconds I wouldn't be writing about it and looking for wrap.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unless it's above the channel I wouldn't even mess with it. And even then I might only attach a few pieces of tape to keep it down. if that works.
It's still the original factory inlay all around the hoop. And to me, that's better than a replacement. I'd rather have the factory staples left alone than to try to remove it all and hope to get it back to factory appearance.