Rogers Astoria

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah! With the famous and rare "Upbeat" pedal. Best.Cocktail.Kit.Ever.After.The.Parklane!!!

Can't tell the wrap. Please, more pics...

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was on the hunt for an Upbeat pedal I tapped out at 5 hunert.....That's 24k gold right there
Beautiful kit. lv's me some Jp 2's

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was on the hunt for an Upbeat pedal I tapped out at 5 hunert.....That's 24k gold right there
Beautiful kit. lv's me some Jp 2's
Where were you when I needed you, Steven? I sold mine to forum brother Drumbelly for, like, $75(?). No regrets, though.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Parklane is pretty well done except for the Upbeat. I have 1/2 of one--the yoke and the strap and spring and 1/2 the bracket. I don't have the pedal side! I used Tommykat's method of fixing the lugs. She's a respectable player.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
My Parklane is pretty well done except for the Upbeat. I have 1/2 of one--the yoke and the strap and spring and 1/2 the bracket. I don't have the pedal side! I used Tommykat's method of fixing the lugs. She's a respectable player.
This is so gorgeous!

Yes, those Upbeat pedals are pretty much unobtainium any more. I got my last one on eBay 10 years ago for $270 from a respected forum member who said it would go for "stupid money." Actually, I was happy with the price because, though seemingly expensive at the time, it completed one of my cocktail kits. In retrospect, it think it was pretty reasonable.

BTW, I also won, from the same seller, an EXTREMELY rare caster for a floor tom leg that allows you to roll the kit into a closet. I just love Rogers' thinking on all stuff cocktail!

Also, note that I strengthened the B&B lugs in October of 2005, and the set has been stored under tension since. Thus, 13 years with no issues.

Dave Randall

Reaction score
parklane.jpg Love the discussion on the Rogers cocktail kits. Here's mine and I bought my "upbeat" pedal about 1 1/2 years ago for $350, completely original including the strap....Still looking for one of the accessory wheels. All the lugs have been strengthened with JB Weld with no problems.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 386841 Love the discussion on the Rogers cocktail kits. Here's mine and I bought my "upbeat" pedal about 1 1/2 years ago for $350, completely original including the strap....Still looking for one of the accessory wheels. All the lugs have been strengthened with JB Weld with no problems.
That FT is dressed for battle we Knight thee ‘ Thor the Thunder Tom’

Beautiful Rogers Tommy

Dave Randall

Reaction score
You guys are killing me! An Astoria or Parklayne are pretty much the only thing missing from my Rogers collection. Beautiful examples posted by all.
I see you also live in the Dayton area....My Parklane, which came out of Oxford, OH park2.JPG will be on display at the Rogers Homecoming day in Covington on April 7th.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Having never owned a Rogers cocktail kit ... I've always been curious ... why do most play the cocktail "bass" pedal on the far outside of the floor? I get the idea of playing it standing up ... but from a seated position ...
It appears that it would be a tighter and more ergonomic setup if the pedal were mounted to the inside area of the floor ... i.e. the left side instead of the right.
That would place the hi-hat and bass pedal angled in the "v" that we seek and place the snare between the legs ... the wing tom and floor would be in the usual positions.

I see you also live in the Dayton area....My Parklane, which came out of Oxford, OH View attachment 386928 will be on display at the Rogers Homecoming day in Covington on April 7th.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having never owned a Rogers cocktail kit ... I've always been curious ... why do most play the cocktail "bass" pedal on the far outside of the floor? I get the idea of playing it standing up ... but from a seated position ...
It appears that it would be a tighter and more ergonomic setup if the pedal were mounted to the inside area of the floor ... i.e. the left side instead of the right.
That would place the hi-hat and bass pedal angled in the "v" that we seek and place the snare between the legs ... the wing tom and floor would be in the usual positions.
The UpBeat pedal is hard to describe and photograph without some kind of 3-D viewer. I have tried various setups like you mention, but the short answer is, it can only be put on that one floor tom leg to be used effectively. However the pedalboard itself can be swiveled to some extent. I play my setups both standing and sitting, and there's really only one way to do it.

01 1958 Rogers Spotlight Astoria.jpg

02 1960 Rogers Astoria Cocktail Outfit.jpg
03 Tom & Mark.jpg
04 Seymour Baker Band .jpg
05 Rex, Mark, Tom 1.jpg
Pedal 1.jpg
Pedal Underneath.JPG

Dave Randall

Reaction score
I’m trying to prove or disprove a theory that all the Rogers PDP drums were produced at the same time. My four piece sets serial numbers are within 17 of each other. Would you mind checking your cocktail kit and sending me the sizes of the drums with their corresponding serial numbers and badge or lettering type. Once I’m done I’ll publish my results. Thanks, Dave

Attachments

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dave, my kit is stashed away for now, and I don't have pics of the S/Ns. Sorry!

Note that PDP has been seen with three badges, which spanned roughly two years: Eagle (1957), Pirate (Late 1957 - 1958 ) and Interim Script (1958 - 1959). Thus, we know that the drums were produced in a roughly two year period.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dave, Tommy nailed it. Made with 3 different badges and over a few years. Here are some numbers for your research that I documented a while back. It is from an article from the NSMD I wrote on pdp in the early 2000s.n2.JPG n1.JPG

Safe to say that drum sets were matched and tagged with consec numbers on the same day.

Last edited:

Latest posts