Rogers Astoria

Dave Randall

Reaction score
Dave, my kit is stashed away for now, and I don't have pics of the S/Ns. Sorry!

Note that PDP has been seen with three badges, which spanned roughly two years: Eagle (1957), Pirate (Late 1957 - 1958 ) and Interim Script (1958 - 1959). Thus, we know that the drums were produced in a roughly two year period.
Thanks for your input. Dave

Dave Randall

Reaction score
Dave, Tommy nailed it. Made with 3 different badges and over a few years. Here are some numbers for your research that I documented a while back. It is from an article from the NSMD I wrote on pdp in the early 2000s.View attachment 389303 View attachment 389304

Safe to say that drum sets were matched and tagged with consec numbers on the same day.
What issue was it in? I probably have it. What’s interesting to me is that I have a sparkling gold Rogers starlite kit with eagle badges that was made according to the serial # tags a short time after my pirate badged PDP set????

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Volume 12 #4 Fall/Winter 2002. Your early script logo and eagle badge make total sense. The scripts were short lived before the standard eagle badge stopped. That eagle flew on some drums into the very early 60s. Mainly marchers though.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
And, many kits--PDP included, I would guess--left the factory with mixed Eagle and Pirate badges. The factory used up the stock on hand.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
10570471_693228110755854_5536409121342537423_n.jpg

Hard to see much, but I think this is the only time I took the Parklane to a gig. I played it seated.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to play mine a lot with my 3 piece "dinner band," but now I use my suitcase kit, as it does the job and is also an eye catcher. All Rogers hardware!

Parklane With Cannister Throne 1.jpg
Tom.jpg
16 Tom.jpg

Dave Randall

Reaction score
You guys are killing me! An Astoria or Parklayne are pretty much the only thing missing from my Rogers collection. Beautiful examples posted by all.
I’ve just found the missing parts to be able to convert my purple Rogers set to a cocktail configuration. Once I pick up those parts this week my blue sparkle Rogers Parklane set will be for sale. Let me know if you are interested in buying it.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
View attachment 386841 Love the discussion on the Rogers cocktail kits. Here's mine and I bought my "upbeat" pedal about 1 1/2 years ago for $350, completely original including the strap....Still looking for one of the accessory wheels. All the lugs have been strengthened with JB Weld with no problems.

What is an accessory wheel?

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
What is an accessory wheel?
He's referring to the optional caster that fits on a floor tom leg so one can (presumably) push the kit into a closet for storage. I've only seen one of them, and I'm the fortunate caretaker who has it.

Note that this caster doesn't swivel, so thus only a single caster was meant to be used with the kit.

Page 11 of the 1960 catalog:

Cocktail Wheel With Locking Lever.JPG

1960 Parklane Front View 1.jpg

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
These kits seem pretty cool - can anyone link a video so I can see one in action and hear the "bass" drum? Thanks......