header.nohb.html

Rogers blue onyx kit w/24" kick

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This one is for sale in my neck of the woods. Somewhat rare bass drum size, plus matching snare! $1600 seems pretty fair. More info needed, though.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/msg/5960557307.html
IMG_8473.JPG

xtchc1978

Reaction score
Plenty of Fullerton 24'' bass drums available cheap, seen more then a few sets for under a grand,1600 seems high to me. Cast colletts, thin lugs, blue onyx is fairly common. Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure why anyone would pay more then a grand for that just because it's blue onyx. With the way the market is you can find a set of Ohio Rogers with a matching snare in that price range or less, yeah not a 24''. I would rather spend my money on Ohio drums, I notice a big difference in build quality and I have owned plenty of Cleveland, Dayton and Fullerton drums over the years. Personally I would take a tower kit with the matching 14 ft over that for around the same price any day. If I really wanted a kit with a 24'' Rogers would not be the first thing that came to mind, I would be thinking 3 ply clear interior.

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, there ya go! Once again proof of my non-Rogers expertise ;)

Reactions: JDA

ducodonny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but ant that a dynasonic snare minus the cage? I see the muffler control like a dyna but done no if the power tones had the muffler. If that's a dyna it's north of 2,000 alone

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
If there are no cracks in the wrap, that is a fair price. The snare is worth around $400+ by itself. And a 24" bass with any 60's finish is rare, those finishes were dropped by the early 70's.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Not a Dyna snare. You can tell it doesn't have 10 lugs. All you need to do is replace the collets. Really great set of drums. IMO Ace

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Damm .. they're in Dallas. I was living in Irving (2013) before moving back to NYC, I would have grabbed them in a flash. I'm so afraid of someone packing them up and shipping them to NYC.

I'm no expert either, but Ohio manufactured kits were significantly better then Fullerton in terms of ??? I'm just looking for an education because I was seriously thinking of dropping the 1600 for these .. well I was going to try to negotiate a price of 1600 that included shipping to NYC

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Mainly the collet noses on the small tom holders (with the two handles), and bass drum legs, became casts instead of being forged. They crack and need to be replaced. I think that that would be 6 total. That might get a little expensive. I don't see that lighter lugs would be an issue, though. Same shells and rims as before. Ace

maxb2k

Reaction score
I have a 22" Fullerton bass drum in that same Blue Onyx finish. Its a great sounding and performing drum, and gets swapped out with my 20" blue onyx Cleveland bass drum. I did have to replace the collet noses first thing, other than that it tunes up and punches as well as the 20" only louder!
Never seen a 24" in that finish, wish he were selling THAT separate.

skywkr2

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but the close up of the tom looks like the finish may have a clear coat over it. Doesn't it look too shiny and wavy?

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Plenty of Fullerton 24" bass drums available? I disagree, 22" was the common size.24' bass drums were limited to the Rogers Ultra Seven drum sets & special orders.Look on ebay and see if you find many Rogers 24" bass drums.$1600 may seem a little high,but you are getting the matching wood snare.Just depends on who wants that set bad enough.You can always try & dicker price.

xtchc1978

Reaction score
Ebay isn't the be all to end all anymore, not a reliable reference for anything.There are at least 4 24'' Rogers bass drums available under $300 local to me and a set for a grand, all have been sitting around for months. Some in shops, pristine example in a shop in LI for $200, craigslist or in the hands of friends. I literally see them all the time, but Rogers drums are very common in the NE.
A few quick links for a simple reference.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/5950452271.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msd/5959158639.html

reverb.com/item/2703351-rogers-drum-set

I stand by my opinion, which is based on many years of restoration experience as well as buying and selling. I have a box full of fullerton lug pulls, the plating is cheap and pits more easily then the early Rogers lugs, they are light weight, issues with broken studs, cracks and warpage. Lots of cost cutting measures after the sale, shells are fine, hardware is sub standard. They will never bring the same money as Ohio Rogers drums for that reason.

DanC

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That first drum has been drilled, black wrap is not valuable, plenty of parts missing. Not a useful example at all.

The second set is very nice, original single-tom rig is pretty rare, but the wood wrap is very unpopular. Another example that is not very useful.

In my experience with Rogers (and I have plenty) the hardware from the 70's is not as good as the 60's, but not nearly as bad as you suggest.

That Blue Onyx kit is different from the average 70's Swivomatic drums...

xtchc1978

Reaction score
DanC said:
That first drum has been drilled, black wrap is not valuable, plenty of parts missing. Not a useful example at all.

The second set is very nice, original single-tom rig is pretty rare, but the wood wrap is very unpopular. Another example that is not very useful.

In my experience with Rogers (and I have plenty) the hardware from the 70's is not as good as the 60's, but not nearly as bad as you suggest.

That Blue Onyx kit is different from the average 70's Swivomatic drums...
Before it gets deleted from CL "Comes with both original 24" wood hoops, all 20 t-rods and claws, an almost new pin stripe head, original double tom holder and leg holders." Extra swivo hole, not the end of the world, not missing parts, certainly affects value but it's not swiss cheese. Keep in mind Blue onyx was available until at the very least 73, big drums were very popular in that era. I don't have actual production numbers, not sure who would. Again in my opinion they don't fit the definition of "rare" drums. Try finding a tower floor tom, any color, extra holes or not, 18'' bass drum etc. As far as the hardware, you would have to have experience restoring every era with plenty of examples to understand what I am saying, not just a box of Fullerton parts. Removing corrosion welded lugs from Fullerton Rogers drums is a pain, I will provide pictures, it's night and day as far as hardware quality. Forged and plated steel vs chromed pot metal.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
David Teegarden had an identical kit when he first joined Bob Seger's band in 1977...

SE3018.jpg

DanC

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
skywkr2 said:
Excuse my ignorance but the close up of the tom looks like the finish may have a clear coat over it. Doesn't it look too shiny and wavy?

If the light catches just right on those wraps, it will look that way.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Since I first heard about the lugs with springs rattling in recordings, I gravitate towards the springless. I don't record though. It's been said that the best chrome is on Big R drums and or hardware. The inserts are the critical part anyway, on Fullerton Beavertail lugs, if there is a shortcoming. I have observed Rogers Drums on E-bay for years. Based on that, I see fairly few 22" (compared to 20") and very few 24" script Rogers bass drums. Ace

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
rhythmace said:
Since I first heard about the lugs with springs rattling in recordings, I gravitate towards the springless. I don't record though. It's been said that the best chrome is on Big R drums and or hardware. The inserts are the critical part anyway, on Fullerton Beavertail lugs, if there is a shortcoming. I have observed Rogers Drums on E-bay for years. Based on that, I see fairly few 22" (compared to 20") and very few 24" script Rogers bass drums. Ace
I concur. I'm lucky to have a Dayton blue sparkle 22" on my Londoner 5. I have only seen two or three other 22" Dayton (1960s) bass drums over the years, and maybe one Cleveland. More were produced in the Fullerton era and later.