Rogers bop kit project from last year...

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I've mentioned this little kit before, but the other Rogers bop kit thread got me thinking about it again. I'm going into a little more detail here, so please allow me the opportunity to toot my (and Peter's ) horn.

It's a little bop set I built. 18-12-14, matching snare. Black Strata.

I'm most proud of this project, and offer thanks to Peter S. , board member, and wood craftsman extraordinaire.

The bass started out as an 18x16 floor tom shell. We removed 1" from each side, saving the re-ring and bearing edge for each side, still attached to around 2-3 inches of shell. I had measured the shell and marked it exactly where it needed to be cut on either side, before sending it to Peter. Cutting it where it was marked would eliminate one row of tom lug holes, around the shell on each side, leaving one row of lug holes on either side of the shell. The remaining hole was located the precise distance from the edge of the shell it needed to be, and matched the same distance as any other Rogers 14" deep bass shell. Peter then 'stepped' the joints for the 3 sections of shell and glued and clamped them together. Then he returned the shell to me.

What was left for me to do was drill the remaining lug holes for the bass drums lugs which were to be installed. Going thru all this allowed me to do the conversion with very few plugged holes in the shell (only the leg mount holes and the holes for the tone control). All holes were plugged with wood dowels and sanded and blended smooth inside and out.

I have done other tom/bass conversions before, leaving the depth at 16" and leaving the tom lugs on them. These worked well and sounded good, but they didn't have the OEM visual look I was after.

What was left to do was drill for the tom mount, cymbal mount, and spur mounts. Easy enough to do using other Rogers basses as a reference.

While I was doing this, what I was working with looked like an original 14x18 bass shell, undrilled, from the factory. The dimensions were correct, the edges were original, and the few filled holes were hardly noticeable. It looked like a virgin shell, waiting to be drilled for mounts. This was exactly what I was after: I wanted it to be as close to the real thing as possible.

I sent the shell to Precision Drum to be wrapped. It was done in their '60's Black Oyster', which is almost identical to Rogers Black Strata. They put the seams where I had marked the shell for them, and trimmed the wrap on the router table, which was exactly how it was done at the plant in Ohio.

This bass sounds killer, one of the best Rogers basses I have heard, of any size.

By the way, the 14x14 floor tom was built in the same way, from two donor 14" tom shells. It also sounds as it should.

And the matching Powertone snare started out as an unloved and mistreated Luxor shell. All plugged and smoothed to perfection before being reborn as a P'tone, original edges and all.

If you were to disassemble these drums and examine the components, including the shells, mounting hardware, etc, it would be extremely difficult to tell them from original drums.

I have had the real thing a couple of times but, while it was great to have them, I get a particular kick out of this little kit. They are installed in my office where I can admire them every day. Except when they leave the house for a gig.

(the snare wasn't finished yet in these pix...)

Attachments

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pretty good turnout for your project. Looks like a great way to adopt some orphans into a family with excellent results.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow... those look great! Love the choice of wrap. A tip o' the SwivoNut hat to ya, bro.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great kit and color! The P-tone snare looks COB, though? Did you get it wrapped to match? Also, tell me about the 14 FT? It's two 14" drums - what sizes - 10x14? How was it assembled? I have bop kits with 10x14 drums I made the "FT" and it's okay but I've always wondered if I could take 2 10x14's, cut off 3" off each side, then put them together....thanks.

DanC

Reaction score
Thanks for the props guys...

The snare wasn't done yet when these photos were taken.

The floor tom was made from two 10x14 concert toms, if I recall correctly. They were each cut down to 7 inches, and some extra was allowed for the union. They were stepped just like the bass shell was, glued and clamped. Care was taken to make sure the top lug holes were aligned with the bottom.
When I had the shell back on my bench, there were only a few holes to plug: concert toms don't come with tone controls, and there were no bottom lug holes on either donor shell to deal with. The holes I had to drill were for the tone control and the leg mounts. I used Statite legs and brackets since that is what I had in the stash; I've seen numerous Holiday floor toms with those installed instead of knobby mounts and hex legs.
It's nice at a gig since no key is required to set up. And I had a set of the seldom seen 'flared' Statite legs, which actually make the drum more stable and look cool...

The drum rumbles like it's big brothers do, as many 14x14 Rogers floor tom owners will attest.

This was a great project. Again, thanks to Peter for his able assistance...

Last edited:

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dan, this is a great story, with a fabulous set, well engineered.

One thing. I don't understand this comment:

"The bass started out as an 18x16 floor tom shell. We removed 1" from each side, saving the re-ring and bearing edge for each side, still attached to around 2-3 inches of shell."

If you remove 1" from each side, it sounds like you've chopped off the bearing edges and rerings to get a 14" shell. How can you "reinstall" this? And if you've cut 1" off, how is it still attached to 2-3 inches of shell, which is now where?

Can you please elaborate? Thanks!

DanC

Reaction score
Tommy, here you go:

-measure about 3 1/2 " in from the edge.
-cut around the shell, following that line.
-measure 1" in from the fresh cut on the shell.
-cut off the 1" piece, following that line.

-repeat this on the other side.

-discard the two 1" sections of shell

-mill the 1/2" steps into the 3 remaining pieces of shell: i.e. the large center section, and the two outer sections which contain the rerings and the edges.

-glue, assemble and clamp the 3 sections together.

There's a lot of precision measuring, cutting, aligning, milling etc that goes on during all of this - but those are the basics of it....

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tommy, here you go:

-measure about 3 1/2 " in from the edge.
-cut around the shell, following that line.
-measure 1" in from the fresh cut on the shell.
-cut off the 1" piece, following that line.

-repeat this on the other side.

-discard the two 1" sections of shell

-mill the 1/2" steps into the 3 remaining pieces of shell: i.e. the large center section, and the two outer sections which contain the rerings and the edges.

-glue, assemble and clamp the 3 sections together.

There's a lot of precision measuring, cutting, aligning, milling etc that goes on during all of this - but those are the basics of it....
Got it, thanks. Heckuva job. Incredible, actually.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, that edge work is not what I expected......it sounds crazy! But it worked out well......

OK so I re-read it a few times.....and I think I get it.......I'd never heard of doing it this way. I always though you just cut the ends off, take out the rerings, install them, then do new bearing edges........

Last edited:

DanC

Reaction score
Wow, that edge work is not what I expected......it sounds crazy! But it worked out well......

OK so I re-read it a few times.....and I think I get it.......I'd never heard of doing it this way. I always though you just cut the ends off, take out the rerings, install them, then do new bearing edges........
Thanks!

I didn't want to do them that way: I wanted to preserve the original edges and rerings, all intact as originally assembled. This is the one area of the drum that has the most impact on sound, imho.
Also, doing it this way eliminates a row of lug holes on each side, meaning 16 less holes to plug. The screw spacing is different between tom lugs and bass lugs.

By the way, before doing this project, in case some of you are curious:

I thought about shell integrity and the sound produced by a shell modified in such a way.

When originally laid up in the shell mold, many times a given ply consists of 2 or 3 smaller sections that are butted together. We have all seen shells stripped of wrap that have a visible seam (or 2) around the circumference of the shell. And the individual internal ply seams are also staggered across the dimensions of the shell. There is nothing 'continuous' about the plies or wood structure in an original shell, (except for a one-ply shell).
So, where the sections of the modified shell are stepped and glued together, the integrity and sound conductivity or resonance of the shell should be really no different than any other original area of the shell, since all of the physical interconnections between the original plies are just as random. IMHO.

And lastly: I have closely examined the edges on toms and bass drums, and compared them. I have done this often over the years. I have come to the conclusion that the edge profiles on Rogers drums (and this is probably true on other brands as well) are the same on the various toms and basses made during a given timeframe.

Last edited:

DanC

Reaction score
Nope, original edges on that one.

The Luxor does have normal snare beds, while the snare beds on a maple Powertone are very shallow. But this one sounds very much like the original maple Powertones I have/have had.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dan is a brilliant engineer! This method of joining shells we worked out is a really cool way to get some hard to find sizes.
I have the two pieces of shells from the 18x22 build we did. I thought I would build a shallow kick for myself but time just won’t allow it. Finished it would be about a 7-8 inch depth. The lug holes will accommodate the smaller Ludwig club date style.
If anyone wants it pay the ride and it’s yours!
( maybe I better clear this with the boss)
What do you think Dan??

DanC

Reaction score
Hey Peter, they're yours to do anything with.

I played that 18x22 bass we built at a gig not too long ago, it sounds awesome.

There's a thread here in the vintage section for this other project, it involved using 2 Rogers 14x22 bass shells as donors to make an 18x22 bass. A vintage drum in one of the later, more trendy sizes. Not for everyone, but I like it.....

Here's the thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/rogers-hot-rod-resto-mod.142803/#post-1568865