Rogers Cleveland WMP Powertone wrap question

BRicca

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently acquired this WMP 5 x 14 and it appears the outermost layer of the wrap had been removed during a cleaning/restoration. At first I thought it might have been rewrapped as the WMP, though greenish like many 60s Rogers, had a very different look to it. Upon removing the heads I noticed someone had removed all the hardware, taped off both edges, and buffed it with something that took off the outermost layer of the exposed wrap. It also put minuscule, and seeming uniform, scratches over most of the shell. Both edges are original, look great, and I'm hoping the drum plays fine but I was just wondering what would commonly be used to do this to a wrap? The scratches left behind were tough to photograph but you will see the contrast at the shell edge where the outer most layer of the wrap is still present on the shell. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Bill

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
There are a bunch of folks out there that buff and wet sand wraps. I think it's crazy...

BRicca

Reaction score
Thanks Rich, From a distance the wrap is glass smooth but really scratched up when closeup. Taking that outer layer off really removed the depth from it. I really thought it must have been rewrapped at first glance. The shell is in good shape structurally and I wonder how bad it must have been aesthetically to warrant that treatment.
-Bill

Deafmoon

Reaction score
1599567092459.png
If used this many times. It's okay. Not great, OK. If you are still not satisfied and wish to re-wrap, write me and I will explain how to remove Rogers wrap. It's a painstakingly sensitive project that must be done delicately or you could wreck the wood.

BRicca

Reaction score
Thanks Deafmoon! The shell otherwise looks really good, edges, re-rings, snare bed. I planning on seeing how it sounds and reassess once I actually play/hear it.
I appreciate the help!

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
That looks like it was done with sandpaper, probably to remove the yellowing. A bad move, for sure. The wrap is ruined.

A rewrap would be ok, the value of the drum has been reduced already. Also, you could do it in any color you like or need.

BRicca

Reaction score
Thank you Dan! The seller failed to mention the part about the "wrap restoration." All the lugs screws are new as are the throw off/butt screws. Edges are really good and flat. Hoops are original and straight. Twin lugs are all good. I used Novus 2 then 1 and carnuba on the wrap. This took a lot of the scratches down and it looks better but definitely lost the WMP depth of an original wrap. Slightly pitted batter hoop but not terrible. I just cleaned it up this weekend and put it back together. If it's a gem I may opt to rewrap it. As always thank you for your input.
Best, Bill

Attachments