Rogers Closet Classic Pic Heavy

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
What can I say , I really don't do ebay anymore and I hardly even look 'cause this is what happens!
Basically stole it lol.

Anyway moving along there's lots to talk about here.
Drum 100% original including dirt grime and spiders! '63 vintage
A lot of lasts here in '63
last of the 3 ply keller shells
last of the b&b lugs. Metal ferule lug screw insert
last of the tall boy hoops
last of the oval Rogers logo
and maybe the last of the gloss gray interior paint
Joe Thompsons best effort imho.

So I really don't collect drums like a madman very much anymore but when its something very special and exciting I have a hard time resisting!

Anyhow onto the clean up and pics. The drum is immaculate cleanest chrome I've ever seen on one of these and I've had dozens.
Workmanship is top shelf , there guys were craftsmen and on thier game. Frank Walters was here and so was Sam Collett
The big story here is not one crack in the b&b's .....that's right not even a hairline. That's unheard of.
Drum was probably played by a student for 6 months then put away ever since. No road wear. No fade or yellowing. wrap is casper white!
Just crazy this closet find, can't wait to finish up the T rods and get it all back together.

In the meantime enjoy the pics
006.JPG
008.JPG
010.JPG
014.JPG
016.JPG
023.JPG
026.JPG
032.JPG
039.JPG

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On the lug tabs, half a dozen or so tabs have chunks missing on one side. Made that way or????

Cool drum. Going up on the shelf or playing it? At least here the 8 repro lugs would only cost around $100 delivered.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
On the lug tabs, half a dozen or so tabs have chunks missing on one side. Made that way or????

Cool drum. Going up on the shelf or playing it? At least here the 8 repro lugs would only cost around $100 delivered.
Tabs Perfectly normal
Real deal originals go for 50 ea ( untracked)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very interesting. I will check my 2 old Luxor shells to see if any imprints are on the rims......I think they are serial #-ed about 4K and 8K, though.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score

Under glass (with curtains)

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
My first snare drum as a kid was a '63 Roger Luxor with bread and butter lugs. It came with an instruction sheet that said to slack off the tension on the heads when the drum was not being played. I thought that was weird, since it had plastic heads. But maybe it was because of the fragility of the bread and butter lugs.

Nevertheless, I tuned that drum super tight and a dozen other ways as a kid learning about the instrument. Never had one problem with the lugs.

I guess over the years, the lugs eventually failed because brass is a soft metal.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
That’s great Ron, ‘63 was a good year they switched from flat to the sharp edges. The b&b’s can last forever if the tension is light. The tuning was very loose on this one which definetly contributed to no cracks , still can’t believe it.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
That might be the best vintage WMP I've ever seen. I have a full blue glass kit of this era right before the Beavertails switchout, calf all around, and they are some stunning sounding drums.

Also have this girl's older, bigger sister who did some prison time. 15"x12" marcher with actually pretty good color, but a couple cigarette burns. Don't mention them, she's sensitive.
This actually serves to motivate me, since I just got the last lugs I need to get her going and have to do the TommyKat-lugaroo-plumber-putty-party.

Latest posts