Rogers Cocktail Kit

ecsandberg

New Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Spotted this beautiful Rogers Cocktail Kit in a local music shop.
It is in great shape. Not a mark on the wrap or chrome.
Any idea of value?
Having trouble finding anything similar online.
A salesman at the store said "it's vintage."
Snare has what looks like an authentic Tower Model label (see photos).
IMG_6652.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6653.JPG
 

tommykat1

DFO Master
Joined
Oct 27, 2007
Messages
10,129
Reaction score
830
Location
Oregon
Love Rogers cocktail kits! There were two models offered from the late fifties to early sixties called the Astoria and Parklane. The Parklane (like the one pictured here) has floor tom, snare and mounted tom, either 12 or 13 inch. The Astoria model doesn't have an upper tom, and came with less hardware.

The kit offered here is a mixed bag. On the downside, using a little deductive logic, it is a collection of shells and not really a correct kit. We know this by the fact that it's missing some parts, and also not showing the holes that would have been drilled to support them.

Here's the diagnosis:

>> Primarily, the famous "Upbeat" pedal is not present--which is difficult to find and also expensive. The pedal here is Brand X.

>> The correct tom and snare mounting hardware should be two "all-purpose" Swivomatic arms connecting both to the floor tom with Knobbies. Note the arm and Knobby are present on the MT to FT connection, but missing on the FT to snare.

>> Also, there should be two additional Knobbies on the FT that hold a long cymbal arm with 45 degree long swivel arm attached, and a straight arm to hold a cowbell. All of these are missing.

>> The FT shows no sign of holes where the Knobbies would be. Thus, the FT is an add-on orphan.

>> The snare, however, is a correct "cocktail" snare in that it has a Swivo collet mounted, but not being used here.

>> Finally, the mounted tom is missing its lower rim, and hardware.

All of the above items will set you back a bunch if you wanted to make this correct.

On the good side, I see that the FT has Sta-Tite legs, These were an option on the 14" floor tom, though I can't tell from the pics whether it's a 14 or 16 here. If it's a 14, then the purchase price might snag you a rare FT.

Here's a pic of one of my Parklanes. Note that it has some embellishments to make it more versatile, but all of the correct hardware is present.

1960 Parklane Front View 1.jpg


1960 Parklane Players View 1.jpg


Parklane With Cannister Throne 1.jpg
 
Last edited:

ecsandberg

New Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Thank you for the great and thorough response. Your assessment is in line with another cocktail fan (not completely authentic, but very cool).
Without being able to talk to the current owner (it’s on consignment), I’m guessing it’s been rehabbed (new wraps, cleaned up hardware,etc).
Current price is $500. It looks and sound great. Hardware is sturdy. Heck, if you tried to acquire all the pieces and parts, including a tower snare, it would be hard to beat that price.
Would you say that’s fair?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ken

costanzadrums

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
279
Reaction score
28
Location
Pittsburgh
If that’s the same kit I saw, the 12” Tom is not a Rogers shell (looks to be composite). I think all the drums were rewrapped. Sounded cool though!
 

tommykat1

DFO Master
Joined
Oct 27, 2007
Messages
10,129
Reaction score
830
Location
Oregon
Before I'd shell out any money, I'd determine whether the mounted tom and floor tom are Rogers. And if these are rewraps, that devalues everything further. Might be better to walk away and build your own out of orphans... Kind of like what this kit is trying to do with questionable stories.
 

tommykat1

DFO Master
Joined
Oct 27, 2007
Messages
10,129
Reaction score
830
Location
Oregon
Great assessment Tommy! Are there Rogers cocktail kits with beavertail lugs?
Powertone, I believe so, but not many. The cocktail kit craze fell out of favor as soon as Ringo Starr appeared for the first time on the Ed Sullivan show, February 9, 1964. Then everyone wanted a "Ringo kit." I think beavertails appeared in late 1962ish, so that means a few years of beavertail cocktail kits..
 

tommykat1

DFO Master
Joined
Oct 27, 2007
Messages
10,129
Reaction score
830
Location
Oregon
Yes, indeed a Vibra-Slap.

Note that shortly after these pics were taken, I removed the ball and attached a rectangular piece made out of hard wood, lacquered and fastened in place. I found that the ball works great to smack as a hand instrument, but hard to connect with using a drum stick.

Here's a pic of the same outfit configured as an Astoria (no upper tom) in stand-up fashion, i.e., with the snare swung over the floor tom. You can see the altered Vibra-Slap in place, along with jam blocks (LP Sambago Bells) and a Gibraltar fixed hat arrangment. Note in stand up mode, you can't use both kick and hi-hat pedals. The hats are 1930s 11" Zildjian paper thins. They sound like what you'd hear in a period Mickey Mouse cartoon. :)

05 Stew McGoo Astoria Stand-Up Close In.jpg
 
Last edited:

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2011
Messages
764
Reaction score
118
Location
Visalia CA
Nice kit!

Now we need some enterprising soul to design a vibra-slap that you can play with a stick.
 

Guzowskip

New Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
OK, I'm not a Rogers expert by any means. That said, I bought and restored a 1969 Rogers Londoner kit in black strata pearl from the original owner a number of years ago. I did a lot of research on the construction, hardware, finish/wrap, labels, etc. Based on what I have and what I learned, here's my opinion FWIW.

This kit looks like a "player's kit" kluged together for the following reasons:

1. My '69 Londoner's wrap was yellowed due to being played in smokey environments... I would expect this kit to show the same yellowing if it were from the same or earlier era. Therefore, I suspect these shells have been re-wrapped.

2. I know Slingerland and Ludwig produced drums with no bottom hoop on the toms in the 1970s but I cannot find any evidence Rogers ever did so I think the 12" tom is perhaps not genuine.

3. The double-braced hardware and modern kick pedal are clearly not vintage.

4. The tom leg mounts look more like Big-R era mounts (if that) than the Swivo-Matic ones on my 1969 floor tom.

5. If the snare is a genuine Tower model, it dates to 62-64... but labels are available on line.... is the interior finish the mottled gray?

6. Cocktail kits were designed to be minimal with a small footprint and easy to transport. This kit looks like it would be a pain to transport and set up.

I have a Slingerland player's kit I built from orphan shells and this one seems to be in the same ilk. No criticism offered but potential buyers should beware.

Polo in NW FL
 

Rich K.

DFO Master
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
10,980
Reaction score
743
Location
Savannah, GA
OK, I'm not a Rogers expert by any means. That said, I bought and restored a 1969 Rogers Londoner kit in black strata pearl from the original owner a number of years ago. I did a lot of research on the construction, hardware, finish/wrap, labels, etc. Based on what I have and what I learned, here's my opinion FWIW.

This kit looks like a "player's kit" kluged together for the following reasons:

1. My '69 Londoner's wrap was yellowed due to being played in smokey environments... I would expect this kit to show the same yellowing if it were from the same or earlier era. Therefore, I suspect these shells have been re-wrapped.

2. I know Slingerland and Ludwig produced drums with no bottom hoop on the toms in the 1970s but I cannot find any evidence Rogers ever did so I think the 12" tom is perhaps not genuine.

3. The double-braced hardware and modern kick pedal are clearly not vintage.

4. The tom leg mounts look more like Big-R era mounts (if that) than the Swivo-Matic ones on my 1969 floor tom.

5. If the snare is a genuine Tower model, it dates to 62-64... but labels are available on line.... is the interior finish the mottled gray?

6. Cocktail kits were designed to be minimal with a small footprint and easy to transport. This kit looks like it would be a pain to transport and set up.

I have a Slingerland player's kit I built from orphan shells and this one seems to be in the same ilk. No criticism offered but potential buyers should beware.

Polo in NW FL
Rogers started selling concert toms in the late '60s and there are plenty of them shown on sets in the '70s cataloged sets.
The Tower snare was available at least into the late '60s.
 

Latest posts



Top