header.nohb.html

Rogers Concord Parade Snare

CheeseFives

Reaction score
I found this drum on Ebay a few years ago. It is absolutely pristine. It's also unusual. The blond color of the shell - the flat PINK paint on the inside. The name Concord doesn't generate anything in a web search. Please take a look at these pictures and if you even have a hunch about this drum and why it is, please let me know. I'm interested in the shell material and if anyone has ever heard of a flat pink paint being used before and hopefully when it was used as I'm hoping to date the drum. My best guess is 1960 - actual Cleveland.

Attachments

• IMG_3579.jpeg
    IMG_3579.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3580.jpeg
    IMG_3580.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3581.jpeg
    IMG_3581.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 34

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not flat pink but a flat pinkish gray yes in the late 50's. Your drum is probably 56-58 judging from the flatop B&B lugs and the Eagle badge. Sweet!!

CheeseFives

Reaction score
The drum isn't "pinkish" It's flaming pink! Maybe some better light...

Attachments

• IMG_3582.jpeg
    IMG_3582.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 20

CheeseFives

Reaction score
It isn't flat now I look closely with the head off. It's a glossy finish! If the paint didn't go right up to and under the tag I'd think it was a home job.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
YeAh I see it now it was re painted after the fact I can see it over the edge of the paper tag. No big deal , these old Marchers are nice and all but not big money drums. It may have originally been natural finish, black or gray.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the bearing edge now it was a natural finish probably had a coat of clear on it

steambent

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might have been black on the inside from the factory. Can you see any hint of black on it?

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The last year for flat top lugs is 1957. In 58 and further they had a center ridge. First seen with the eagle badge in the Spring 1956 catalog:

Attachments

• IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

CheeseFives

Reaction score
Super bummed about the pink now. Why would someone DO that? I think that clear coat is likely underneath the pink. I can't see any pink paint on the tag but there is definitely a tiny line of white below the bottom side of the tag. Not a hint of black anywhere. I really appreciate the discussion guys! I took another picture of the tag trying to capture that white paint underneath. At this point I guess there could be a number of reasons for that. None of them original. You guys' work is probably done here. I think I have the answers I was looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_3584.jpeg
    IMG_3584.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 15

CheeseFives

Reaction score
I have another question though. The shell. I have used a lot of these old school parade drums. They are always Mahogany. This shell doesn't seem like Mahogany. Mahogany is much darker isn't it? Yet the catalog only mentions Mahogany and white lacquer. Still a little confused...

CheeseFives

Reaction score
I guess just a light color stain? It sure feels different than all the Ludwigs I've used. In any case I will never use the word "pristine" with this drum again. Whomp Whomp Whaaaaaa

Last edited:

B&BLugMug

Reaction score
The drum is mostly likely refinished... or was a special order.
Can you post a pic of the back side of the grommet?
Not a common finish for a Rogers field drum at all.
The interior was certainly repainted.
The interior was most likely painted brown or possibly black.

Last edited: