Rogers conundrum

wingnutz

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Some time back I was lucky enough to score a wine red ripple Cozy Cole Outfit. 12/13/16/16/20 and matching powertone and canister throne. Everything there, all the cases and hardware including the extra upbeat BD beater for the cocktail setup option. These had been stored in a low humidity climate in their cases. They are all sporting the orginal heads and are beautiful. B&B lugs are all uncracked and no pits. The one and only issue and not sure which direction to take is on the second floor tom. All the way around the top the wrap has several cracks 1 -3 inches down. Not sure but maybe the wrap wasn't glued properly around the top. I can't see a way to repair without it showing. I guess my question is, what would make more sense, regluing and live with it or separating it from the rest of the kit. Would the kit be more valuable as a almost perfect 5 PC. without the second 16" floor. All the B&B lugs, hardware and shell are worth alot alone. Is that one issue any real devaluation or would a professional restoration be money well spent?
Thanks for your insight. Charlie
20191015_163253.jpg

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That drum looks pristine. If that’s an indication of the overall condition, get it repaired by a pro.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do not separate the floor tom, that is such a minor issue in the context of the entire kit that you possess. Like Happy said, take it to a real pro. Although you could fix it yourself, if you take your time and plan it out.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I doubt that it affects the value at all. If that was mine, I'd slip some contact cement under the loose wrap, glue it back down and forget about it. That drum looks beautiful. How about some pics of the entire kit?

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
You could send the shell, minus the hardware, to Jack Lawton at Lawton Drum Co in Pa. Jack is a well known restorer and fixer, his work is the best. He can reglue the wrap and make it look much better.

That wrap has a tendency to shrink and crack over the years. It's amazing that only the one drum has an issue, that wrap can get pretty brittle.

It's imperative to keep them at room temperature...cold temps will be bad for the wrap.

wingnutz

Reaction score
I've been on the fence for some time about this glueing this drum myself or sending it out. Ive restored several kits with good results but do not consider myself a pro by any means. These are something special, I've only played them out twice. I suppose I should send some pics to Jack Lawton and get some input.

Picture back after i just brought these home a few years ago. Just had to clean the dust off.

Attachments