Rogers Covington Demo and Review

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could probably pick up 2 or maybe 3 vintage Rogers kits that would sound this good for $4330. Each kit would have more shells, too. The price for the Covington seems inflated. They do sound really good in this demo, though.

Nice touch comparing them to an original Covington kit at the end. The new Rogers company did a good job capturing that sound in the new kit.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do not get what the new Rogers is trying to do here. They have the '67 style Beavertail drums yet use an early '60s three ply shell. The Rogers drums that were sought after (at least by me and my collector buds) are the 64-67 Cleveland era 5 ply Beavertails. I do not know why the modern Rogers is mixing up the two different eras. Makes no sense to me.

Then, to make things even more confusing, Rogers is now producing an early style (1961-1964) B & B Dyna-Sonic that SHOULD have a 3 ply shell historically speaking, yet Rogers is using a 5 ply shell there. WTF? (unless their website is wrong).

Seems like they do not have a clear sense of what they are trying to do, reproduction-wise.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Found it odd the guy wearing the hat talking about the fact the two tension rods on the bass drum where the pedal goes had Ts on them like it was some big surprise as I would assume most people over the age of 40 knows that all or most drums American or otherwise were that way till well into the 80s. Now I am trying not to be prejudice but the old BD kit sounded much better than the new ones, not just different. Now the new kits did sound good but not as good as the old kit but I believe the old BD kit had the tall boy hoops and that might have made a difference . In saying all of this plus being born and raised and still living about 90 miles from Covington Ohio I was never a huge fan of Rogers but I do have 15 plus kits basically because they were plentiful in Ohio.

ThomasMagnum

Reaction score
Found it odd the guy wearing the hat talking about the fact the two tension rods on the bass drum where the pedal goes had Ts on them like it was some big surprise as I would assume most people over the age of 40 knows that all or most drums American or otherwise were that way till well into the 80s. Now I am trying not to be prejudice but the old BD kit sounded much better than the new ones, not just different. Now the new kits did sound good but not as good as the old kit but I believe the old BD kit had the tall boy hoops and that might have made a difference . In saying all of this plus being born and raised and still living about 90 miles from Covington Ohio I was never a huge fan of Rogers but I do have 15 plus kits basically because they were plentiful in Ohio.
It doesn't allow you to attach a bass drum pedal with a larger base plate. Other manufacturers (Sonor immediately comes to mind) have been swapping out those bottom two batter side lugs for ones without T-rods for decades. This was my first experience with Rogers drums, as I would expect it would be for many other people.
Also, I'm over 40.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Reaction score
It's a simple matter to swap out as many BD T-rods as you want for key rods. Put the factory T-rods away and put 'em back on the drum if/when it's time to sell. I thought the video made way too big a deal about this.

If you're a gigging drummer and have your bass drum tuned like a drum (and not like a cardboard box), T-rods are a huge PITA, since packing, travel and unpacking will throw a bass drum with T-rods out of tune. (Especially noticeable if you use two bass drums, like I do.) I've used nothing but key rods on all my bass drums for the past 30 or so years.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would have liked it if the newer kit also had no port on the bass like the vintage one- I think that had more to do with the vintage bass sounding better than anything else. But both sets did sound nice- but I'm biased and will always gravitate towards the vintage set.