header.nohb.html

Rogers Drum Identification

autox

Reaction score
1670281304471.png

I'm looking to buy my wife a drum set for Xmas and I found this one on craigslist for $250. It's in the back of a shop and the owner doesn't know anything about them. From my reading there was some Rodgers drums made in the 80's that aren't very good. Can anyone tell by the pic which period these are from?
Thanks much in advance for any help!!
There located over an hour away from me so I'm just wanting to see if i should take the time to check them out...

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it include everything in the photo? if so $250 is a decent price but those are not classic Rogers....but it would be a good starter kit if your wife is starting.

autox

Reaction score
Thanks dtk... it does include everythin in pic, I'm just not sure if it has a throne
I'm also looking at a Pearl Export with everything for $400
1670286934338.png

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Auto,
I'd go with the Pearl set. Pretty resilient entry kit.
The Roger's, if they are the line I believe they are, are not on the same level as the Pearl's.
(Now if they are 'real' Roger's, that's a different story, of course.)
What are the cymbals with the Pearl set?

autox

Reaction score
Troyh, thanks for your input also!
Nort sure what cymbals they are, can you tell by the pic?
314318543_5471674116291919_9163497532152024071_n.jpg

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd vote Rogers....even if it is a made in Taiwan kit which it almost certainly is. It's not a Rogers USA with that double tom mount.

The cymbals (Sabian B8 vs. Paiste PST 3/5's) are pretty similar on each kit. Hardware on each kit similar too.

Figure the drums and hardware on each kit (if sold separately) at $200-$250 total. The Rogers kit has a 2nd snare at $50-$75. The Rogers snare
is a 10 lugger. Rogers kit still has an original bass drum head. More original heads is a good sign of a not too abused or overly used kit.
The Pearl mounted toms look a bit on the large size (power toms?) and fairly far apart. I think the Rogers would be an easier kit to play. The Rogers mounted
toms have sound mounts which is a plus and could get you a better sound.

The Rogers 80's gear could actually be semi-collectible. At $250 the 4 main Rogers drums are basically free. I always figure Pearl Export kits at around $300-$350 tops....
which includes starter cymbals and hardware. Just be sure the Rogers drums are made of wood and of decent construction. There are some Rogers in the late 80's to 90's
which were made overseas using lousy materials. You can flip that Rogers kit for $250 if you don't like it. I don't think you can flip that Pearl kit for $400 if it doesn't work for you.
You might be able to wiggle down the store owner on the Rogers another $25 to $50 if you find anything not quite right with it.

Last edited:

autox

Reaction score
Great info Tama CW, I appreciate that!
Being a newbie to drums, where should i look to see if there actually wood...?
My wifes brother is a drummer and gave her the bug, but he's 500 miles away...

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Either kit would do the job fine. The cymbals with the Pearls look like a mix of Sabian B8 and Paiste alpha which as Tama CW said are pretty equal with the ones included with the Rogers. Find out if there is a bass drum pedal with the Rogers, or expect to pay at least $40 for used if you can find something local or at least $80ish new.

If the seller of the Pearls is a little flexible, I would lean that way. The hardware included is pretty good and would still be good if she gets serious and wants to upgrade the drums down the road and they look to have pretty new heads so thats another savings.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also go with the Pearls. The B8s are perfectly good beginner cymbals.
Either set would be fine.
Get new heads and clean them up before you give them to her. If you don't want to spend too much on heads, these are great for entry level sets.