Rogers Dyna-Sonic serial numbers

lovetheblues

Reaction score
Well, my snare arrived. Perfect,except that the snare wires were very poor condition - all stretched out and broken, and not the ones meant for the drum. So I fitted a new set (I did not have the proper ones meant for the dyna-sonic, so for the meantime I just used some old ones I had lying around that are in not too bad condition while waiting for the proper ones to arrive; I needed to bend the end-plates of the new snare wires a bit.

So having put on the new snare snare wires; I can say that the drum is fantastic. Very crisp and lively. And that is not even using the proper snare wires!

But I come back here also seeking your help once again:

Firstly, now that I have received the snare I see that there is some black sticky residue of something on the snare gate/ladder (what is it really called?), as seen in the photo below. Can anyone tell me what should be there (under the snare wires I assume) and any suggestions to how to fix whatever should be there back on.

Secondly, with the snare gate/ladder the snare doesn't fit nicely in any of my snare stands. How do you guys solve that?

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Those black things were there to cushion the snare wires on the snare frame. Narrow strips of a black velvet-like material, with an adhesive backing.

The remains can be cleaned up with a little solvent and a rag. You can try to find material like that at a hardware or home store. Do you know what Velcro is? It is a type of fastener that uses two different types of material and allows a bag etc to be opened and re-closed, like a hardware bag etc.
Velcro has a firm plastic side with 'hooks' and another side that's fuzzy, like velvet. If you find a small piece of Velcro, you can cut small replacement strips from the fuzzy side. It should already have an adhesive backing, so you'll be good to go.

The snare frame/wires will function fine without them, but what the heck.....

If you can't find any Velcro, you can use a piece of felt and apply your own adhesive.

lovetheblues

Reaction score
A belated thanks, Dan. Yes, I know what you mean by velcro.

I have a further question for you gurus:

I noticed something with the bearing edge on the snare side that I have never seen on any other metal drum before: Near the strainer and butt it looks like most other metal snares with roll-overs. However, everywhere else besides near the strainer or butt, it looks like the bearing edge is ground flat. Initially when i noticed it I thought it must comelike that (at least for this vintage) because it is neatly done and chromed, whereas if it was a home-handy-man mutilation job, then I would expect the chrome to have been ground off and brass to be shining through. But I am wondering if this is normal, or if some idiot tried to get the bottom edge flat if they did not know that snare drums have bearing edges. (Even if it was that, the drum still sounds good!)

lovetheblues

Reaction score
Looks like it may have been dropped or worked over with a small hammer....
No, I don't think dropped, and definitely not a hammer. It is more like a grind-stone. But it is absolutely perfectly done all the way around the bearing edge, with the only spots not ground down being the gaps by the strainer and butt. If this was not done by the factory, it was definitely done deliberately and meticulously. And the drum has obviously been well taken care of and is in very good condition otherwise; not a scratch on it. ???

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
It may just have been a Q.C. issue: the shell came from the foundry that way, nobody noticed, and it went to the plater.

As long as the drum tunes up, not a concern I don't think...

shaunothin

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me .... I inherited a drum set from my day (yamaha birch absolute custom - 5 peice) but the snare is a Rogers Dyna-Sonic Custom Built .... The Serial Number is 14744. Im not sure when it was made or how much it is worth. Can someone help me with this??

shaunothin

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me .... I inherited a drum set from my day (yamaha birch absolute custom - 5 peice) but the snare is a Rogers Dyna-Sonic Custom Built .... The Serial Number is 14744. Im not sure when it was made or how much it is worth. Can someone help me with this??
HAVE A PIC

gclovell

Reaction score
I purchased a (brand new) Rogers kit in 1965 from Frank's Drum Shop in Chicago. I chose the Dynasonic Snare after reading about how unique it was. The serial number of the snare is 2848. Not sure if that will help anyone, but for sure the drum kit and snare were pre-CBS.

Latest posts