Rogers dynasonic, how much is it worth?

Basil

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Chanced upon a good deal on a wooden dynasonic snare drum. Don,'t know much about dynas but it is priced reasonably so I just couldn't pass on the deal. The shell is in good condition. Lugs and hoops are lightly pitted, slight fading on the swirl wrap, but it appears to be tight. But the snare frame is missing. Im in asia so i doubt that id be able to find parts for it locally. My question is, would the snare drum still be effective even without the frame ( ill be using a normal snare wire)? Would the.frame and other parts of cob dynas from a different era fit on a wood.dyna? Thanks in advance

chetatkinsdiet

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Won't work without the frame. No snare beds cut in the shell...hence what makes them special. Spend the extra $80 or so and get a frame. For a real wooden Dyna, I'd probably find an old metal Dyna for a donor. Or buy one from a reputable person that you're sure is correct for your Dyna year.

m

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Above all DON'T cut snare beds into that shell! If it is indeed a 3 ply Dyna (which makes it an early Cleveland, and arguably the best sounding) it is a valuable drum.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Won't work without the frame. No snare beds cut in the shell...hence what makes them special. Spend the extra $80 or so and get a frame. For a real wooden Dyna, I'd probably find an old metal Dyna for a donor. Or buy one from a reputable person that you're sure is correct for your Dyna year.

m
Rhythm Tech snares--which are stretched on a frame--work very well on old Dynas. But of course, the drum won't be original. I use them on my Dyna because they don't rattle the way Dyna frames do, when the snares are off.

Basil

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the valuable info. Havent gotten the drum yet, will be getting it in a bit. Hope the.deal pushes through. Will post pics once i get ahold of it. That makes sense, the rhythm tech snare system would probably be a good temporary fix while searching for a frame or a donor cob. What would be a fair price for it? According to the seller 2 lugs lost their tread and a couple of tension rods are missing. Anything else to watch out for?

SamS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would that be BB lugs? If they are, they could be cracked.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
What nobody is saying is that when it has the proper snare frame on it, and there are no other issues with it, it is worth probably at least $2500.

Basil

Reaction score
Just saw the dynasonic 1st hand (pics below). Additional info on the snare would be appreciated :idea1: The missing frame is definitely not the only issue. The brackets attached to the bottom hoop, the ones that put the frame in place, are missing as well. Aside from the heads and snare wires, the hardware seem to be original. There is pitting all over the place. But I didn't notice any peeling. There is pitting on the throw as well. But considering it's age, I was surprised at how smooth the action was. The lugs are in pretty bad shape. There were a few that I would say could still do its purpose. But there was 1 missing and there were 2 cracked ones that need to be replaced.

The edges looked smooth (was in a hurry, really didn't get the chance to remove the heads and check. But I guess the pics would pretty much tell the story on the edges). The wrap was tight. But there's a crack on the wrap in the panel where the script logo was. Apparently the previous owner tried to straighten the script logo. He also drilled a hole on the shell to achieve this (ouch). a couple of wood "chips" on the inside of the shell too. Not deep though. All in all I would say that this drum looked it's age, and has gotten it's share of scars due to normal use.

Is this worth $600 + the cost of parts and the effort to order them overseas and have them shipped? Or am I better off waiting for one that's a bit more expensive but in better shape?

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Help him out here guys - Is that a steel grey ripple? Looks greenish but I'd buy it for $600 and get it restored professionally - it would be worth it, that's for sure. Not to mention how it probably sounds. Anyway, it's the shell that matters, imo. If the shell is sound it's worth $900-$1000 right now. But there are some real experts here who can help. Personally, I'd probably do it. Parts you need are around $300 tops. These drums go for somewhere between $1900 - $3000 depending on condition and age. But that's not a common colour, afaik

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes, Trout's right, not a common color. That's an early Dyna with Fruitwood stain interior. Does that S/N say 0646?

At least one thing is awry: one pic shows a non-original Fullerton tone control with white felt, another shows what looks to be the original tone control with gray felt.

Are the lug mounting holes wallowed out? That would indicate this was originally a B&B lugged drum with later beavertail replacements. You mentioned a lug or two was missing. The early beavertail lugs had screw mount breakage problems, so this would be normal if the owner pulled the drum apart for one reason or another, broke a screw mount or two, and therefore couldn't remount the lugs.

Also, the holes around the script logo are suspect

And it should have a black painted clockface throwoff and flat-sided tensioners. These also look to be replacements.

OptikDrums

Player
Reaction score
The last ripple dyna with original bb lugs that were changed to beavertail sold for $550 on ebay about 6 months ago.
If this is originally beavertail, i would definitely pick it up.

Either way, cool drum

Rogersoholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Too many red flags on this one. Because if that number is 106xx {no drum known starting with 0xxx} that would date it to 1968. Sky Blue ripple was done away with in 63. So many things arent adding up. If it is a Dyna and is original color, it had the badge changed out and 95% chance it was drilled for beavertailed lugs. Looks like some kind of chemical cleaner was put on a sky blue ripple causing it to turn green. It was definitely expose to a lot of water as even the inside muffler is rusted. And why would one, take the badge on and off so many times?
Heres what I would do... Take a look at the grommet on the inside to see if it was tampered with. And why isnt there the same amount of scratches around the badge as there are on it? Also take a cupla lugs off and look to see if the holes were enlarged. If they were, this is actually good news because fruitwood stain isnt always that dark, only in the earlier ones and will confirm that at least its a Rogers B&B shell and not a clone. The inside will tell you more than the outside. I hope this helps...

Rogersoholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
As to restoration? An original first generation frame is around 200- 250 {no wires}. The bottom rim must be a High boy aka tall with twisted gates and I cant see finding one for less than 100 bux. Wires 75 repros. I cant see if it has a 1st gen clockfaced throw but for a Dyna expect to pay. B&B repros are 40 each with internals {another 400}. Offer him 450 {with this information confirmed} and see what happens. My guess is the green prolly came from sitting in mud and sun underwater from the tsunami. Are you from Japan?

PS also check for the plys delaminating...

chetatkinsdiet

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My .02 is that this is a total Franken-snare. Badge has been off and moved slightly, wrap condition doesn't match the items around it like the Dyna badge. Already mentioned was the serial number. Other things like the muffler being different in the two pics....this person knows what they have. They're swapping parts and such on it. Could be a deal, but you'd be spending another $350 at least on the correct parts to get it into playing condition....and then, it would be a player.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been too fond of wooden Dyna's sound. I think the Powertones are much better sounding snare drums. So, if you're just looking for a player, get a PT in the finish you want. If you're looking for a Dyna, look for a collector grade drum.

m

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
My .02 is that this is a total Franken-snare. Badge has been off and moved slightly, wrap condition doesn't match the items around it like the Dyna badge. Already mentioned was the serial number. Other things like the muffler being different in the two pics....this person knows what they have. They're swapping parts and such on it. Could be a deal, but you'd be spending another $350 at least on the correct parts to get it into playing condition....and then, it would be a player.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been too fond of wooden Dyna's sound. I think the Powertones are much better sounding snare drums. So, if you're just looking for a player, get a PT in the finish you want. If you're looking for a Dyna, look for a collector grade drum.

m
+1. Some serious sense here. I have both, and I also prefer the Powertone. (My favorite snare is a blue sparkle PT with extra holes!) If you really want a Dyna, though, go for collector grade, as it'll hold its value.

Basil

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the replies. Really not planning to buy an heirloom piece..at least for now. Just making sure that the drum's worth what I'll be paying for it.

The serial number's 10646. the 1 is partially covered by the grommet. Had to do a double take myself when I was inspecting the drum.

It doesn't look green at all in person. The 1st series of pics were from the seller's ad. The succeeding pics were taken by me. I'd say that it's more gray than anything else. Saw some steel gray samples. Looks really close to that color. As for the dyna badge, the flaw looks more like an effect of oxidation than scratches. Not japan...manila. No tsunami here
below are older photos provided by the seller.

The tone control was just installed when the previous owner took the drum apart and reassembled it. Probably explains why its condition is worse than the other parts of the drum.

As for the additional holes, the previous owner for some reason wanted the script logo straight. Actually went as far as drilling small holes to the shell. OCD and drumming, not a nice combination

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I really dig the sound of Dynas, both metal and wood but I suppose that's me. Anyway, I have collector's grade of both my kits and I'm getting bored! I think bringing that thing back would be great fun. I didn't think the colour was anything but a bad photo. Funny story about the script! That's the part I would get repaired professionally. But if they're tiny holes you could do it by mixing shellac sticks to the exact colour. I guess I would try a Rhythm Tech first; if that didn't do it for me, I'd get a replacement Dyna frame - even a re-manufactured one with Puresounds and start saving for a period correct frame. The other stuff can all be found. I wasn't that put off by the condition. I am from the tropics and that's exactly what happens to drums. Good thing the interior is sealed. Anyway, a steel grey ripple dyna, player or not - it's a beautiful thing. Good luck and more pictures after the resto please!

Rogersoholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gray was offered in 67 but also in 62. Take a lug off anyway and check the holes and color. If its gray its gold. Buy it!

Basil

Reaction score
Bought it!...just finished inspecting the shell. It's the steel gray wrap alright. Looks green against bright light. Below are the pics of the shell naked :icon_smile: I noticed very minor wood chips on the holes inside the shell when I removed the lugs. On the outside, there was one hole where for some reason the previous owner took a square chunk off of the wrap, which resulted to minor wood chipping as well. There were a few scrapes on the inside of the shell. Some on the area surrounding the grommet. And, some on the area where the scrip logo was. Definitely not the cleanest vintage drum I've seen. But a pretty decent player. overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase. I didn't notice anything major. the edges are smooth, heads lay perfectly flat. No modification done to the shell - apart from the puncture on the wrap by the script logo, which didn't go all the way through the inside of the shell.

As for the hardware, there's light pitting on the hoops. The top hoop is in good condition, but the bottom hoop is warped. I plan to bend it back to it's original shape, hope that it won't affect the integrity of the hoop. There were 2 lugs that seem to be beavertail imitations, but seem to have been installed a long time ago - as evident in the discoloration on the wrap where the lugs rest. The screw holes of the throw, the one that tightens the plate onto the snare string was tampered to make the replacement screws (which has a wider diameter and tread) fit.

What do you guys think? Right now the bare shell is inside my snare bag. Is there anything I should do to prevent it from warping while waiting for the hardware to put on it?

No budget yet for era specific parts or for major restoration. But how much work needs to be done to bring it as close to collector grade as possible? Are wood fillers necessary to cover up the scrapes?
For now I plan to purchase stuff that will make the drum useable. I'm thinking a decent donor cob + a rhythm tech snare system. Thanks everyone for the help! Really appreciate it.

pics of the issues with the shell