Rogers Early Cleveland 6.5" Wood Powertone: The Unicorn Exists!

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes glad Tom got it. I am not advertising them but I would sell the 20-12-13 and 16 by 14 floor tom but I will not sell the floor tom by its self.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
steambent said:
Yes glad Tom got it. I am not advertising them but I would sell the 20-12-13 and 16 by 14 floor tom but I will not sell the floor tom by its self.
Dang, I already have 2 12s, a 13 and a 20 in blue sparkle, so I can't be a player in this deal!

R

RickP

Great pickup Tommy. We all have our White Whales when it comes to drums. Glad you found yours.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Im sure Tommy will chime in with details, but this was his initial reaction to the first gig he played with it:

It sounded great at the gig, just what I was hoping for. The 8 cylinder--oops, I mean "8 lug"--Powertone is a dream come true. So much articulation and depth that you just can't find in a 10 (or 20) lug drum.

Sounds like he likes it! :)

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
drummertom said:
Im sure Tommy will chime in with details, but this was his initial reaction to the first gig he played with it:

It sounded great at the gig, just what I was hoping for. The 8 cylinder--oops, I mean "8 lug"--Powertone is a dream come true. So much articulation and depth that you just can't find in a 10 (or 20) lug drum.

Sounds like he likes it! :)
Yep, that's a quote from a PM to drummertom after the first gig with the new Powertone. I am sincerely a 6 or 8 lug snare drum guy. Add any more lugs than 8 and the drum is too dry for my tastes.

I played the Powertone with a set of Gretsch Renowns on Saturday night at a holiday gig in a hotel ballroom, so it was a good test in a big, echo-y setting. It did not disappoint!

The snare that came with Renowns is a 6.5" 6 ply maple with 20 lugs (TWENTY!!!) and 30 degree bearing edges. It sounds just OK, andnNothing to write home about. It has a lousy cross stick action, due to the number of lugs, I'm certain, and that's even after I dumped the die cast rim for a Rogers triple flange.

No, the nod goes to the 8 lug, 3 ply Powertone, and this 6.5 is the nicest snare drum I've ever played. Mind you, my 3 ply 5" wood Powertone from the same era is a very, very, very close second. No snare drum I've ever played sounds as good as these Powertones!

My, my, you'd think I'm a fan. And you'd be right!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
OptikDrums said:
How about a BDP 6.5 powertone originally ordered by Mickey Hart while serving in the navy ?
Oh man, look at that!

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
OptikDrums said:
How about a BDP 6.5 powertone originally ordered by Mickey Hart while serving in the navy ?
Now that's one very, very special drum!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
That would look real good behind my 22-13-16 Cleveland BDP kit!