Rogers expertise/serial numbers

RussNorman

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I just joined the forum today and this is my first post so go easy on me if I'm doing this wrong!

I'm retired and looking to downsize in the not-to-distant future and am looking to sell some of my gear as I won't have room for everything whenever I end up moving. I have an old Rogers kit (4-piece) that I'd like to figure out what it's worth. I bought it used in the early '70's (74?) from a buddy of mine. It's a blue sparkle set with a script Rogers logo. The tag inside the kick is serial number 5917 but it's weird because it says it's a BANNER model but banner is crossed out and Holiday is typed above it. The snare is a chrome Powertone serial number 14284. Did some Googling and couldn't really find anything to help date or value. Does anyone know of a good source of information on how to figure out exactly what I have and how to value/sell?

Thanks in advance!
Russ

Attachments

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are on Facebook, Look up/Contact Po Shy at Po's Percussion. He is heavily involved with the vintage Rogers community and historical preservation. I sent him a message with a screen shot of this already.

RussNorman

Reaction score
If you are on Facebook, Look up/Contact Po Shy at Po's Percussion. He is heavily involved with the vintage Rogers community and historical preservation. I sent him a message with a screen shot of this already.
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely contact him!

BRicca

Reaction score
Welcome Russ,

Looks like you have a mid 1960s kit. 64-66 thereabouts. Great drums. "DanC" is one forumite here that should definitely know the specifics on that banner vs holiday tag. Also Bobby Chiasson at Jolity Drumfarm in upstate NY is a serious Rogers resource, collector, seller. Bobby@drumfarm.com
I've bought kits from him in the past and he's a great source of knowledge as well as a very nice guy.

Best, Bill

RussNorman

Reaction score
Welcome Russ,

Looks like you have a mid 1960s kit. 64-66 thereabouts. Great drums. "DanC" is one forumite here that should definitely know the specifics on that banner vs holiday tag. Also Bobby Chiasson at Jolity Drumfarm in upstate NY is a serious Rogers resource, collector, seller. Bobby@drumfarm.com
I've bought kits from him in the past and he's a great source of knowledge as well as a very nice guy.

Best, Bill
Thanks, Bill!

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Serial numbers would put it at 1966, right before the transition to Dayton, Ohio after CBS purchased the brand. Crossed out tags are commonly found during this period and after, sometimes handwritten and sometimes typed in.

Po Shy or Jeff Burke (who compiled the dating guide) are both active in the Rogers USA Facebook group and are a wealth of info. That whole group is very helpful.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a serial number PDF I found online. The BANNER crossed out and HOLIDAY typed in (even hand written at times) is them using an old tag for a newer model shell. Very common situation as noted.

Attachments

RussNorman

Reaction score
Serial numbers would put it at 1966, right before the transition to Dayton, Ohio after CBS purchased the brand. Crossed out tags are commonly found during this period and after, sometimes handwritten and sometimes typed in.

Po Shy or Jeff Burke (who compiled the dating guide) are both active in the Rogers USA Facebook group and are a wealth of info. That whole group is very helpful.
Thanks, Lee! I'll definitely check out the Facebook page.

RussNorman

Reaction score
Here is a serial number PDF I found online. The BANNER crossed out and HOLIDAY typed in (even hand written at times) is them using an old tag for a newer model shell. Very common situation as noted.
Thanks, Amosguy! I clearly wasn't as clever as you were to find this list.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Sometimes when a drum was about to be finished, the assembler didn't have a 'Holiday' tag on the bench, so they would grab another tag and cross-out/write-in the model name they needed. The serial number on this tag has no relation to the serial numbers on actual Holiday tags. The drum needs to be dated by the style of lugs and their hardware, interior paint or other clues. If the drum matches the others in the set in these details, it's safe to assume the same time period.

The serial number on that snare places it around 1967 or maybe a little earlier. This might be after the CBS takeover in 1966, but the Cleveland tags were used for a short time after that.

Always keep in mind that the tags were often mixed up and used out of sequence. For this reason, the serials are only one element in dating a drum, and the dating can not be as accurate as some folks would like. At the plant, they were just building drums, not collectors items, and they had no idea that 60 years later anyone would care about such things. Sometimes I think it's a miracle that any of them have survived through 6 decades of potential abuse, fires, floods, and goofy teenagers in their garages with a drill in one hand and a can of spray paint in the other...

Last edited:

Latest posts