Rogers Experts Only Please

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought this Rogers Eagle Snare drum from a well established collector many years ago.

I was told it was all original to the best of his knowledge other than the heads/wires.
The snare is 5 ply, clock face strainer, tall boy hoops, BDP wrap, tube lugs and no extra holes.
The inside is stamped twice with a date of Dec 29, 1961 once from a drum shop and the second using a slightly different font . It also has a serial number 122961.

Someone help me understand this. I wasn't aware that tube lugs were used on Rogers Eagle snares yet there are no extra holes that would have been necessary had the B&B or Beaver Tail been replaced. There is not patching. Inside is perfectly smooth.

Help me understand what is going on.
IMG_8323.jpg
IMG_8324.jpg
IMG_8325.jpg
IMG_8326.jpg
IMG_8322.jpg
IMG_8323.jpg IMG_8324.jpg IMG_8325.jpg IMG_8326.jpg IMG_8322.jpg IMG_8323.jpg
IMG_8323.jpg
IMG_8324.jpg
IMG_8325.jpg
IMG_8326.jpg
IMG_8322.jpg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means but you can get tube lugs custom made to any length you want so their presence does not require that there would be any extra holes required and the lack thereof does not indicate that they must be original to the drum. It could be that the B&B lugs cracked, as they usually tend to do ( particularly on snare drums which typically need more tension), and were replaced with the correctly sized tube lugs. That could well be the repair that the stamp inside is referring too.

Just a guess though. Pull off a lug and see if one of the holes is larger than the other. If so that would indicate that this originally had the Brass B&B lugs installed.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a paper tag?
The number 122961 same as date stamp. Tube lugs not seen that late although we’re seen in early 50’s wooden snares.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rogers never used tube lugs. The lugs would have been B&B from that era. Replacements are not unusual, and Beavertails have slightly different hole sizes. As stated, tube lugs can set to use the existing holes with no issues. What are the lug screws style?

Check inside the shell around the vent grommet as well.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KO is correct, someone likely replaced the original b&not true with those tubes.

And I'm willing to bet your shell is three ply Jasper, not five ply.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your drum spent time in Detroit! That repair stamp is for Hamilton's (The Drum Shop) when they were downtown. They were a George Way dealer, too. Lots of George Way drums have the Drum Shop badges or repair stamps.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KO is correct, someone likely replaced the original b&not true with those tubes.

And I'm willing to bet your shell is three ply Jasper, not five ply.
Shell is definately 5 ply.. I can send you a closeup

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Send a close up pic of the inside of shell where the grommet comes thru holding the eagle badge one and we can tell you rerwrap or not.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A lot of anomalies. Tube lugs are not correct, should be a 3 ply shell, and incorrect strainer for an Eagle badge. Would need to see better interior photos to get a better idea as to what is going on.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of anomalies. Tube lugs are not correct, should be a 3 ply shell, and incorrect strainer for an Eagle badge. Would need to see better interior photos to get a better idea as to what is going on.
Facts: not a rewrap. I can see slight B&B impressions around each lug. Tube lugs not original obviously.
Shell is absolutely a 5 ply.( see pics below) Shell is at least 60 years old based upon repair stamp. Badge is a legitimate Rogers Eagle. Inside painted with pale blue stain/paint
No extra or filled holes in the shell.

Questions:
Why couldn't this have Rogers used a clock face throw? I have the exact same throw on my Holiday snare which was around the same time period.

What we have:
A Rogers 60 year old 5 ply shell (check pics below) in original BDP which had B&B lugs, with a first generation clock face strainer wearing an Eagle badge.

Last edited:

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
See above pics. 5 ply correct? or is the RR making it appears that way and it is really a 3 ply.
I would say that given the B&B indent and the fact that Rogers didn't make 5 ply till 1964 that is has to be 3 ply plus RR.
I hope you have better eyes than I do

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
3 ply shell. Doesn’t seem likely that a Rogers manufacturing date and retail/repair store date would be identical.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Facts: not a rewrap. I can see slight B&B impressions around each lug. Tube lugs not original obviously.
Shell is absolutely a 5 ply.( see pics below) Shell is at least 60 years old based upon repair stamp. Badge is a legitimate Rogers Eagle. Inside painted with pale blue stain/paint
No extra or filled holes in the shell.

Questions:
Why couldn't this have Rogers used a clock face throw? I have the exact same throw on my Holiday snare which was around the same time period.

What we have:
A Rogers 60 year old 5 ply shell (check pics below) in original BDP which had B&B lugs, with a first generation clock face strainer wearing an Eagle badge.
Rogers generally began using the clock face strainer during the script badge era. So yes, it would be on your Holiday if it is a script badge. I have seen Eagle badge Holidays that had two different strainers, but not a clock face. However..... It is entirely possible that your Eagle badge Holiday came at the end of the Eagle and got the “new” clock face strainer.

By now you know you have a 3 ply shell, so that is right. If you have an imprint in the pearl of the clock face base, and no extra holes, you are good to go. Except for the tube lugs, but that makes it playable or could be remedied.

Do you have a Rogers paper label on the interior?

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rogers generally began using the clock face strainer during the script badge era. So yes, it would be on your Holiday if it is a script badge. I have seen Eagle badge Holidays that had two different strainers, but not a clock face. However..... It is entirely possible that your Eagle badge Holiday came at the end of the Eagle and got the “new” clock face strainer.

By now you know you have a 3 ply shell, so that is right. If you have an imprint in the pearl of the clock face base, and no extra holes, you are good to go. Except for the tube lugs, but that makes it playable or could be remedied.

Do you have a Rogers paper label on the interior?
Yes to everything except paper label

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Lugs are not original, as many have said. The stamps inside are from a shop, not Rogers, as many have said. That strainer is right if it's a late Eagle drum. Remove it and look for the mounting holes; if original the drum had to have come with that style strainer. The 'Permatension' strainer (only collectors called it a 'clockface', not the plant). That strainer and the later Swivomatic, Bantam and Statite strainers all used that style base and mounting holes. Any earlier strainer would have 4 holes, for an 'Orchestra' type or 4-hole strainer. That is a Jasper shell, the plies are thick and you don't count the plies in the rering. Looks like a 3-ply, but would need to see it in person. Also, that mahogany veneer will look like an extra ply. As on a wrapped drum, that finish ply is an 'addition' to the shell, but it comes out of the mold that way rather than having a wrap applied in a separate step.

Also, I've seen some Rogers Jasper shells that have a 2-ply ring, not 3. On basses sometimes....

Last edited: