Rogers Guys- Is this Ok?

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rogers guys: Forgive my stupidity, as I've never used a "Knobby" mount before.

It just so happens that my 1959 Gretsch shell was drilled at the factory for a Knobby mount. I found that I had one in my parts bin, AND a short cymbal post rod.
But heres my question: is this post rod Too big for the knobby mount? Are the knobby jaws too far apart to safely hold the post?

Any comments are appreciated!

Retro

Attachments

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The jaws of the knobby mount should not touch together. What you have is fine as long as you can tighten it enough to not move.

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you'll just have to make sure you have enough thread engagement from the two tightening screws so they won't strip or easily loosen. Other than that it looks like you have enough surface area contact to assure a good grip. Those are my 2 cents anyway

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi retrosonic!

I just took pictures of the two styles of Swivo brackets on my 1966 Headliner outfit. It's the set you see in my avatar!

The Swivo brackets came in two versions; one with the knobby raised above the bracket and the other with the knobby flush with the bracket. The raised knobby was designed for use with Rogers hex rods, such as floor tom legs. You can see this by the ovaled cutout in the knobby. The flush knobby has a round cutout and designed to more firmly grip round rods, such as the Rogers Swivo cymbal arm. The cast knobby, introduced in the Fullerton era, was designed for both!

-Mark

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hiya Mark!

Hey thanks for your pictures! Me never being a Rogers guy, I know very little about the mounts.
So, MY knobby seems to be neither of the the ones in your pic, as mine is "raised" but not as much as the one you showed. I think.
It does seem to grip the L rod pretty tightly tho. Much better than the old Gretsch diamond plate cymbal mounts, which for some reason, my 1959 Gretsch shell was never drilled for.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
retrosonic!

My Swivo Knobby probably just looks like it's raised higher due to the closeup nature of the picture. I'm sure your mount is identical. And, as long as it grips tightly around the rod, all is good!

-Mark

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Mark! Mine does grip tightly, so I guess I am "good to go".

Thanks for the Rogers education!