Rogers Mardi Gras Beavertail Drums

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many of you know that I have a special fondness for the mardi gras finish and an extra special fondness for Rogers mardi gras beavertail drums. From the time I started to seriously collect vintage drums I had wanted to find what I thought was the "holy grail" of drums which was a Mardi gras beavertail Dyna Sonic snare drum - not likely but I did find one!

It came with a complete set of mardi gras beavertail drums and, not only that, but I found it locally right where I live! That was an incredible find. The set was a Constellation set (22-13-16) but with a matching Dyna Sonic snare. The only issue with the set was that the drums had the purple version of mardi gras and the snare had the black version of mardi gras. Personally I like the black version better than the purple and the snare and the drums don't exactly match but that is just my nitpicking - it does look very cool and the drums do sound great.

It is hard to tell from the picture but in person there is a difference in the color of the snare versus the rest of the set, but that is how they came. Anyway, I have continued to search for any mardi gras beavertail drums hoping to possibly find another set or put one together from singles that I might come across which have that nice black mardi gras finish and hoping to find a 14" beavertail floor tom - that just seems like that is a very unlikely possibility.

About 2 years ago a 20-12-14 with the matching powertone snare came up on ebay for sale, I contacted the seller for some additional pictures and info about the drums intending to bid to win that set - but before I got the chance the set was gone. (Sometime later I found out that it went to a fellow Rogers lover mind you!) Since that auction I have seen 3 other mardi gras beavertail drums - a 12" tom on ebay that was won by Bobby Chaisson; a 16" floor tom that I bought from forum member Komonobob that had been painted over; & a beavertail Powertone that was at this years Chicago Drum Show but the owner did not want to sell.

About a month ago there was an unusual Rogers B&B mardi gras snare with a natural interior on ebay that I bid on and won. After the auction I called the seller to ask him some questions about the drum's origin and if he had any other mardi gras drums for sale. He didn't know much about the origin of the snare and he didn't have any other mardi gras drums to sell BUT he told me that he knew someone who DID have a complete set of Rogers mardi gras drums with beavertail lugs! He mentioned the owner's name to me and said that he would mention me to him. Well after hearing nothing for a couple weeks I decided to try to find & contact the owner myself. My search led me to Steve Maxwell and Steve referred me to the owner.

The owner is a prominent percussionist from Ohio and this drum set has been the center piece of his excellent collection since he got it in 2000. He is preparing for retirement in the near future and is in the process selling some of his extensive collection.

The story on these drums is that they were originally bought by a businessman in St. Louis to be a house set for a new restaurant that he was preparing to open which would have live entertainment. Before it opened for the business folded and he kept these drums stored in a closet in cases at his home for 20 years until they were acquired by a local drummer who worked at the Drum Headquarters in the mid 80's. He used the set on a few occasions and put them away, not wanting to risk damage to the drums. The owner (from whom I bought the drums) found out about the drums at the Chicago Drum show in 1999 or 2000 and offered to buy them from the then present owner. At first he was declined, but a few months later the fellow called him and said that he needed to pay for some remodeling being done to his porch and told my seller that if he wanted the drums he better come by and pick them up.

Now, as of today, I have finally found my mardi gras beavertail set to match my dyna-sonic!

It has a 20 inch bass, 12 inch tom tom & 14 inch floor tom. All the drums are Cleveland Holiday - #362XX BD, #362XX TT, #345XX FT. This set did not have a snare or stands ever since it was acquired in the mid 80's but the owner suspects that a 7 line COB Dyna-Sonic was once at part of this set. He acquired a matching 20-12-16 & 5X14 with B&B lugs & he carefully enlarged the holes to accept the beavertails on the 16" floor tom & the snare and added them to the set.

The bass drum has 1 tom tom swivo mount and 2 "L arm" swivo cymbal mounts. The shell is drilled for the disappearing type cymbal mounts (which are used on the Constellation style sets), but the mounts are positioned on the bass drum shell like those used for the BR Celebrity set. Also the owner said that the drums came with the Buddy Rich "L" arm type mounts and that they are original to the set and have never been removed or changed by him or the previous owner - everything on the set other than the heads & the inlays (I do have the original ginger-aled inlays, but the previous owner removed them and put fresh silver sparkle sometime during his ownership) are original to the drums when they were acquired in the mid 80's.

On this set the tom mount is located centered on the shell in line between the first row of lugs to the left of the script logo at 11 o'clock (from the drummer's view) and the splash cymbal mount is located at 10 o'clock and out toward the resonant edge in line with the resonant side lugs. That is how it is illustrated on the Celebrity outfit. I don't see this pattern on any of the other outfits illustrated in the catalog. The picture below is of the "purple" 22" Constellation bass which has the disappearing type cymbal holders versus the 20" "Celebrity" bass.

Since I have the 16" beavertail floor tom I picked up from Komonobob and I have the mardi gras beavertail dyna-sonic I can totally comeplete this set with original mardi gras beavertail drums like the owner had it set up! The BR Celebrity Outfit #2802 is cataloged as a 4 piece outfit with the dyna-sonic snare drum just how I have the set pictured below with the Swivo stands (using the optional drum sizes)!

(Not to start an argument about "cataloged" sets, I just think that it is very cool to have the drums and the hardware that complete this set like it was listed in the 1964 catalog!)

Anyway, this is an awesome drum set for sure and a great find.

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very nice throne on that last picture!!! is that for sale?

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a shame! Somebody got glitter all over your nice black drums. I'll take them off your hands for you :wink: :wink:

There was a Mardi Gras Beavertail kit for sale in Middletown, Ohio in the mid 90's that I always regret buying. I could have had them for $450. .......yes I said $450.

Oh Yeah.........BEAUTIFUL KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rikkrebs said:
That's a shame! Somebody got glitter all over your nice black drums. I'll take them off your hands for you :wink: :wink:

There was a Mardi Gras Beavertail kit for sale in Middletown, Ohio in the mid 90's that I always regret buying. I could have had them for $450. .......yes I said $450.

Oh Yeah.........BEAUTIFUL KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rikkrebs, I would love to have seen those drums, do you remember the sizes and if it had a snare? That is soo cool to come across something like that when you realize the rarity and the history. $450!!! That hurts!

It figures that these cool Rogers finds are in Ohio, Rogers hometown. BTW, Thanks! I feel like a rich man, though I my wallet is alot lighter!

Madchpops, that throne and anything else extra I can sell is for sale.

Mike

Hey Mike:

Those are great drums with equally great provenance to go with them. Here's an idea....... Maybe Frank in Houston will sell you his screen name (Mardigras) for a reasonable fee or trade it to you for the Dynasonic?

Titanium7570

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike,

You amaze me with every post and pictures you list of you kits.... Life's not fare sometimes :notworthy:

Are you coming to Nashville next weekend for the Vintage Drum Show and NAMM ? Let me know and maybe Connor and I can have dinner one night. I thinks you can get a cheap non-stop flight from Detroit to Nasville..

Darrell :occasion5:

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Howie,
That is an idea, Frank has the trademark and rights to that screen name, you should see my "drum closet" (Frank owns that name too!) - it is a wall of Mardi Gras, with some Fiesta mixed in and a Galaxy. It really is like Glam & Glitter, great to behold.

Darrell, I'm gonna be up here, we have a gig on Saturday. But that would be very cool to be down there.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
mike
beautiful drums as always. thanks for sharing the pics and all the details with us. they look amazing. i love how you enjoy digging into the stories behind them. i think the history behind some of our old kits is priceless. enjoy them as i know you will... :)

mike

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MikeJtone said:
Many of you know that I have a special fondness for the mardi gras finish and an extra special fondness for Rogers mardi gras beavertail drums. From the time I started to seriously collect vintage drums I had wanted to find what I thought was the "holy grail" of drums which was a Mardi gras beavertail Dyna Sonic snare drum - not likely but I did find one.

HOLY TOLEDO!!!!!!! and all the correct hardware to match!!!!!!!! You are truly the Mardigras King!!! Great score Mike... Thx for the pics... frank

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
leedybdp said:
Hey Mike:

Those are great drums with equally great provenance to go with them. Here's an idea....... Maybe Frank in Houston will sell you his screen name (Mardigras) for a reasonable fee or trade it to you for the Dynasonic?

brilliant suggestion Howie...you da man...dog!!! 8)

Danagreg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike,
I am very jealous. I have a mardi gras set and snare - all B&B lugs - and I much prefer the beavertail lugs which are so much better for me on a snare which I like to crank up. I need those lugs from Jim Petty for my snare, but lack of a job limits me.
Dana

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mike, You've pretty well climbed to the top rung with your collecton,the Mardi gras is drool worthy. :notworthy: However,there are a few drums left out there that might keep you motivated. I would like to see you hunt and capture the matching 18 bass.......Mike, Good luck with your mission if you choose to accept it, and as always, this post will self destruct in 5 seconds........

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JP,
Thanks, sincerely.

You know, I was thinking that same thing (about the 18" bass drum) - there are 2 drums that I can keep searching for, if they are out there. An 18" Mardi Gras beavertail bass & an original early Max Roach tube lug snare in Cadillac Green. I know that there is a Caddy Green MR snare (just general knowledge no specifics), but I don't know about the 18" MG Beavertail bass. That would be totally awesome to find and would complete the mardi gras Rogers collection.

I know that this will at least give me something to keep looking for, for a long time - like the rest of my life. I will try at least, who knows what will turn up. I accept!

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow Mike!!! Congratulations! Now THAT is a set that one does not see everyday.

-Bill

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow I just reread my post and it says that I "regret buying them". It should say I "regret NOT buying them". Just want to make sure you all don't think I'm insane.........................even if I am.

Got to go fix breakfast for all the little voices in my head.

bikemann17

Reaction score
Are there any mardi gras drum fans out in the colorado area? Have a set to sell but don't want to ship them. Im no pro but I think they are B and B lugs with the faulty metal issues on the toms. Otherwise they look new! They are 1960s Rogers Holiday drums. Anyone interested is welcome to call or text me 732 424 2541. Larry