Rogers muffler hole pattern?

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Anyone know the correct hole pattern (distance from top edge and then spacing) for a standard issue 60s/70s Rogers muffler off the top of their head?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone know the correct hole pattern (distance from top edge and then spacing) for a standard issue 60s/70s Rogers muffler off the top of their head?
Hi Aaron! I won't be home until late Saturday, but I have a drawing I did, showing this spacing from a Rogers 60's Headliner kit and also the spacing from a COB Dynasonic. What is interesting is that the distance from the top is different on each drum! Makes no sense, since the tone control mechanics are a constant! I have a picture showing how far above the top edge of the 8x12 tom the muffler sticks up!

-Mark

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
That's really strange! Yeah, I'd much appreciate it if you could post that. This is for a 6.5x14 snare.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
The locations vary because they probably didn't use the same template on all the drums. Must have been a variety of templates floating around the plant at all of the assembly stations. I'll take a look at some bare shells I have....

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dang, here's the best I can do. I didn't remove the lugs or tone control from this 6.5" Powertone because the patina was too fine and I just HAD to leave it. Maybe you can plot the dimensions...

Badge.jpg

Throwoff.jpg

Waxed.jpg

DanC

Reaction score
I measured this morning. Looks like the top hole is 2" from the edge, to the center of the upper hole. I measured a ft shell, and a couple of snare shells. All within 1/16" , more or less.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I measured this morning. Looks like the top hole is 2" from the edge, to the center of the upper hole. I measured a ft shell, and a couple of snare shells. All within 1/16" , more or less.
Thanks to Dan's posting, it's obvious that Rogers didn't seem to have a template to place the muffler the same distance from the top edge for each drum! I'm posting the diagram I drew back in 2007 from a Headliner kit I was restoring. Also a picture of the 8x12 tom, showing how much the felt stood above the bearing edge when in the "horizontal" position. The floor tom was much better. However, the position for the COB Dynasonic was perfect! Even on many of my newer COB 5x14 shells, the measurement is still the same.

The picture of the Mahogany 8x12 shows the muffler mounted much closer to the air vent.

-Mark

Attachments

DanC

Reaction score
Most tone controls I've seen have the main arm bent a little bit, so as to align the felt with the bottom of the head when needed. The reason for this is the slightly differing hole drilling for the mufflers. Also, the muffler assembly is not all that precise in it's movement through it's range: they're all a little different, so they were tweaked on the bench before the heads went on.

Latest posts