Rogers muffler placement question

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am doing a Powertone tribute snare using an old Luxor snare shell. I patched the old holes and have already drilled for 8 reissue beaver lugs and reissued clock throw/butt. The only thing left is drilling the muffler (a white felt one off a vintage COB Dynasonic). What is odd is that after studying various wood Powertone shells, it appears the throw is mounted in the center between two lugs (to the left of the throw), but also 1/4" lower than horizontal center......why?

I can either line it up directly in the center (which logically and aesthetically makes sense to me), or keep it "correct" and go 1/4" below center....any thoughts? BTW, this is NOT going to be a sold snare - it will clearly be a redo so it's not like I am going to pawn it off as an original.

The muffler will work in either location, but for some reason, I am struggling with the where and why of this....?? The lugs, throw, badge & vent are centered, but not the muffler?

Before and after pics......(sample COB shell just to show muffler)
powertone1.jpg
powertone2.jpg

Last edited:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I wouldn't use any tom shells as a reference, that's a whole other thing.

I just looked at the Powertone snares I've got. The maple one has the tc slightly above center, the cob have one above and one below center. My Luxors all have them pretty close to center.

Seems pretty random to me. Probably different workers lined them up differently and they all seem to function properly, regardless, and the time period might matter - different employees over the years as well.

Put it in the center and leave it at that. imho...

Last edited:

gkrk

Reaction score
How did you do the before & after photos with the COB Powertone? PhotoShop, I guess. I thought it was two different drums, but it's the same one. You didn't explain what you were up to. Or did I miss something?

My 1964/65 wood & brass Powertones and 1968 Luxor all have the muffler knob in the below center location.

Jeremy

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On all my Rogers snare drums, both metal shell and wood shell, the muffler was placed below center on a 5" deep shell. When Joe Montineri built my wood shell for my clone Dynasonic, he also put the muffler below center. In all instances, the muffler pad, when horizontal, was just touching the batter head. The same can't be said for the muffler pad on this 8x12 Cleveland tom!

-Mark

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jeremy, I don't kiss and tell.....j/k! I wish I had photoshop. I just found a pic, used Paint to copy the old placement (Off center) and move it up to look "right" - in the center, then cleaned up the photo a little. I just wanted to show the difference between the original (below center) and what I would think would be the right place (above center). I am new to Rogers so I am trying to figure this out, and like I said, I am doing a tribute so I want all elements to look "right" - but this dang muffler below center is baffling!

Mark - thanks for the pics. My white felt muffler will work in either location and I don't think a 1/4" difference will really change things.

My inquiry was more for aesthetics and since it's a tribute snare, it may not mean anything to anyone so I appreciate everyone's input.

gkrk

Reaction score
Thanks for the photo modification information. I'll have to try that sometime just for fun.

I agree that the 1/4" difference won't make a difference.

What era is the Luxor donor shell from?

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Well, don't you want the felt to hit flush? I wouldn't want an edge hitting first, I don't think. Ace

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I actually have 2 shells. The Luxor in question I am converting to a Powertone is a 3.9K serial from Cleveland. The other is a Banner also from Cleveland. Both are 6 lugs. The Luxor was mangled with 4 broken B&B lugs and extra holes with 2 other wrong lugs. It was painted in red, black, and gold, and the inside grey and the paper label were oversprayed. I used that one to test my (in)ability to fill/plug holes, and it actually turned out great. I have grey paint for the inside, too, but other than this dang muffler issue left to drill, I have already drilled it for 8 beaver lugs, and the throw/butt/vent hole. I can then continue my finish of this drum inside & out (final finish is a secret until the big reveal!)

The Banner shell is pretty pristine although I did strip off the white (yellowed) lacquer. That shell has the 6 single point lugs, but was just a bare shell when I got it (plus eagle badge and paper tag). The Luxor did have the original throw & butt and COB hoops so I may actually build out the Banner as a 6 lug "Powertone" and just pick up 6 B&B lugs, or I have some generic single point lugs I can use....not sure yet nor do I have a finish in mind. I am not really a fan of 6 lug snares, though.......

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ace, I will tinker with it again - it looked like it would hit flush in either position (centered or lower) but will double check it......

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Ace, I will tinker with it again - it looked like it would hit flush in either position (centered or lower) but will double check it......
One of the distinctive things about a Powertone vs. even a Tower or Luxor is the very shallow snare beds. The tower shell that I recovered in the newer mardi gras had such out of whack bearing edges that Precision had to recut them for it to tune up. I ended up with snare beds maybe not as shallow as a Powertone but it sounds good. All of my Rogers snare with tone controls, even a Dyna, all have the knob lower than center. Ace

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know about the Luxor beds. I do have a contraption that I can use to test a shell without any hardware on it (sort of a ghetto "free floating system" I made) and this shell sounded real good as is. I won't be tinkering with the edges, but I know a local drum craftsman should I need to - he does excellent work and can true edges & wax them to perfection. He did edges on a 20's Ludwig project for me and it was amazing.....but I don't want to spend more $$$ on this drum. I just need to get the dang muffler drilled, will need some time with my finish job, then I can play it and move on to the next project (a Ludwig kit) and finish the prior project (a Gretsch kit)!

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I would not recut edges unless the drum was out really bad. I am not recommending that. I have a blue sparkle Tower that is a time machine. The bottom edge is very "unflat". I am leaving it alone because I don't want to molest an otherwise perfect vintage drum. Ace

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ended up drilling into the center. The muffler hits the top head flat versus at an angle if below center......the snare bed is about 3" before it flares out to the bearing edge.....

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I ended up drilling into the center. The muffler hits the top head flat versus at an angle if below center......the snare bed is about 3" before it flares out to the bearing edge.....
And that might vary if the felt is pressed down from wear. You did fine. Ace

gkrk

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to drill, but I think you've done the right thing. Pictures when
you're ready to show them would be great. Cool project.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The muffler is flat so it worked for now. I don't think I've ever worn out a muffler so it should be fine. Yes, I am working on pics. I am hoping to have it done this weekend but have been jammed up.......still working out details on the finish and it's been wet here so not ideal finishing weather......