Rogers-Red Onyx Holiday\Tower\PowerTone...Plus extras

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Know when to hold 'em...know when to fold 'em....one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, but that's what being an adult is all about I guess.

Selling the following-

8x12 Dayton "Tower" (not the original resonant side hoop-but it is a Rogers)
8x12 Fullerton (early?) "Holiday"
9x13 Dayton "Holiday" (not the original resonant side hoop-but it is a Rogers)
16x16 Cleveland "Holiday"
16x16 Fullerton (early?) "Holiday"
14x20 CLEVELAND "Holiday"
14x24" Fullerton (early?) "Powertone" (this drum has some "bumps" in the wrap in front of several of the lugs, not sure what happened-possibly from stacking? Obviously the original hoops were changed to the chrome Tama? ones. Original wood hoops are included, one is cracked however)
5x14 COB Powertone snare (small crack at the strainer, 60s GRETSCH snare side rim on BATTER side)
5x14 DOB Dyna (5 line, NOT assembled, holes in snare side head, original rail included-no snare wires)

ALL of the Swivo hardware to assemble two kits is included (tom legs, bass drum spurs, tom mounts), with the addition of the following:

NIB double tom post
NIB Powertone snare strainer AND butt
NIB Powertone butt
Extra Dyna shell
Extra Powertone Shell (PERFECT condition...until it fell off the table when I was taking pics. Currently "slightly" out of round...but not without hope)
(2) Swivo tom arms
(3) mufflers (late 60s? white felt)
Swivo cymbal mount
(2) Rogers keys
Misc. shell hardware for mufflers and "etc."
A few bass drum and tom rods
(2) Snare lugs
(2) bass drum spur shell mounts (no collets)
All the cases and bags in the pic are included.
...and some other stuff...(please see pics)

Backstory: The 12" Tower, 13" Holiday, 16" Fullerton Holiday, and the 24" bass drum were given to me in 1977. I did stupid stuff like removing and losing the original mufflers and two of the tom hoops. Played them hard for about 4 years or so put them in bags and pretty much stored them into the 90s. I bought the 12" Holiday, 16" Cleveland Holiday and 20" Cleveland Holiday around 1993 or so. Kept them in the house except for some occasional gigs. I am NOT a vintage kit expert. I don't know much about rating condition etc. I would say they are easily "players condition" or "players condition+". ALL the wraps are tight, no cracks. Very little fade if you look under the tom mounts. Scratches-of course, but not too bad in my non-expert opinion. The tom mounts-rack and floor tom are all machined, as are most of the collet noses. Some play on the floor tom mounts, and two of the rack tom Swivos have been used-hard. You will have a better idea when you see them.

I currently have Tama Starcast mounts on the 12" Tower and 13" Holiday toms. I was using a rack and wanted to be able to change out toms between different kits. I have the Rogers hoops for both drums. I was going to take the Tama Starcasts off, but if you heard how great the toms sound with them you may want to keep them. Up to you.

I would like these to be sold "face-to-face". I want you to be able to look them over for yourself so that there are zero issues. You can check the bearing edges, check the re-ring separation on the two toms, look at the scratches and war-wounds for yourself. I want you to be happy and satisfied with your purchase. My intention is to be as honest and fair as I can, and ultimately for both of us to walk away feeling good. No need for either of us to feel "ripped off". I am not aware of any major issues with any of this gear. It works, and it all sounds great. Ask questions-I will give you the most honest answer I can.

NOTE: Help-in the form of counseling, accuracy, price assistance, etc. etc. etc. IS appreciated-however, I would appreciate it if you could PM me rather than hammer my post in public.
NOTE 2: I am willing to help out with transport if you don't have access to a vehicle large enough to carry it all home...lol.
NOTE 3: I would (strongly) prefer to sell this as a lot. When\if I decide to break it up I will change the post.

I am asking $2350 or BO. (Hopefully this is a fair starting point?) I am located in South Jersey, about 25 minutes from Philly.

Thanks.

Some pics to get started. I have others available, but these give a pretty fair representation of the general condition. Snares need to be cleaned up, like I said a "players kit".

IMG_9101 (2).JPG
IMG_9132.JPG
IMG_9133 (2).JPG
IMG_9134.JPG
IMG_9142.JPG
IMG_9152 (2).JPG
IMG_9154.JPG
IMG_9160.JPG
IMG_9038.JPG
IMG_9036.JPG

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
WOW!!!!
Truly a king's ransom. I hope this sale is not under duress or out of pain.
I can imagine you have enjoyed these quite a bit.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW!!!!
Truly a king's ransom. I hope this sale is not under duress or out of pain.
I can imagine you have enjoyed these quite a bit.
Yes, I have enjoyed them. They have been my "loyal companions" since I was 14.

I hope someone else can get some joy out of them for many, many, years to come.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

poco rit.

Reaction score
This is the actual room that Nicholas Cage was trying to find in National Treasure.

But forreal nice drums! A lot of good stuff here. I have a Rogers red onyx kit myself and so i can imagine how you feel having to sell these great drums. Good luck!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
I own a red Onyx Holiday 20 16 13 12 and didn't think i would need anything else but I saw your add and I instantly considered selling a kidney for a 24 kick and a boatload of parts/spares/options. Anyway, the Can/US border is closed so, a pickup is out of the question and shipping would definitely puts that out of my budget. I'll still keep an eye on this and cogitate on a plan, or come to reason.

owr

Reaction score
Geez thats fantastic. Basically by perfect Rogers set-up is a 13/16/20 with a matching 24 to swap out for some fun. I already own the former, and have a 26" marcher arriving later today (I hope) to quell me over since I haven't managed to find the matching 24" after looking for the last few years. If I knew what I know now but didnt own any this listing would be just about perfect. Good luck with sale, wish I could be the lucky guy

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of kind words-THANKS guys. PMs will be answered shortly.

Just to keep it real, here are some of the scratches I mentioned above. I don't want anyone thinking these are in better condition than they really are.

I took so many pictures I am not exactly sure which shells these are all from. (These are real close up and slightly overexposed). I can say that the 20" Cleveland bass drum probably has the most scars and several of the pics are from that. Also the Fullerton 16" floor tom has a cymbal mount installed in place of a leg mount which broke years ago.

NOT trying to "bump". Just wanted to add info.

IMG_9124.JPG
IMG_9126.JPG
IMG_9127.JPG
IMG_9129.JPG
IMG_9147.JPG
IMG_9148.JPG
IMG_9151.JPG
IMG_9156.JPG

Attachments