ROGERS RED SPARKLE 6.5 X 14 POWERTONE

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was there a thread concerning this drum, weighing the pro's and con's? I am just curious, trying to work a deal with the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ROGERS-POWERTONE-RED-GLASS-SNARE-DRUM-6-1-2-/150555450919?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item230dcdde27

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. He picked up the drum locally with a matching kit for 2000 bucks. Sold the kit for 1100. be careful because of the label missing the serial number...i doubt it's anything but you never know. Good luck trying to buy it at a reasonable price.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
No reason to deface the serial number other than to try to hide the fact that its a stolen drum.I don't care if it was 12 bucks..keep it thief.That may sound a little harsh but after having some of my gear stolen years ago and recently one of our DFO brothers,not to mention over 20 years in law enforcement its something I will not tolerate for ANY reason.

Steve B

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You raise a very valid point. Did anyone happen to notice if the kit had its serial numbers removed? Also, any opinions on a moral and legal component that may exist for legitimate collectors interested in obtaining this drum? I have been looking a long time to add one of these into my personal collection. However, i am not sure where I stand concerning the removal of this serial number.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Hi Vince,

First off, I think that drum would normally be worth around $1250. Just my opinion of course.

Second, and most importantly, the way that label is defaced makes it clear that the number was removed for a reason. We don't know when or by whom, but it was clearly done on purpose.

If a person buys the drum as offered, they assume any risk involved in selling the drum later on. Not a good position to be in.

Sometimes we have to just walk away.....

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I concur with the s/n opinion. Stay away.

As for price, has a threshold been set for a 6.5" wood Powertone, in any finish? You see more Dynas in 6.5" wood than Powertones.

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
6.5 Powertones are much rarer then 6.5 Dynas, but who knows how many are floating around that are not put on forums, ebay , etc.
I agree with DanC that I would not pay more then around 1200-1500 for it.

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was going to buy that drum with the kit when it was on craigslist, and backed away when I found out about the serial number. Remember all the pain that stewy went through with the gold plated Dynasonic?

-Bill

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was going to buy that drum with the kit when it was on craigslist, and backed away when I found out about the serial number. Remember all the pain that stewy went through with the gold plated Dynasonic?

-Bill
O yeah. Forgot about that. Bill is right, stay the **** away. He may just have to die with the drum.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Vince,

First off, I think that drum would normally be worth around $1250. Just my opinion of course.

Second, and most importantly, the way that label is defaced makes it clear that the number was removed for a reason. We don't know when or by whom, but it was clearly done on purpose.

If a person buys the drum as offered, they assume any risk involved in selling the drum later on. Not a good position to be in.

Sometimes we have to just walk away.....

The few 6.5" wooden Powertones I knew of sold for way more than $1250...I think they were near the asking price of this red sparkle one.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting drum. Rich K is right on the money re what a 6.5 wood Powertone (or Tower) would run. I know of a 6.5 wood Powertone that sold for closer to what his original asking price was, and in the past year or two, a 6.5 mahogany finish Tower brought $2000 on eBay. I was also interested, but had concerns re the removed serial number as well as the no return policy. I won't spend that kind of cash without an option to return if it doesn't look correct when I get it in my hands. I think the photos need to be far better for his current asking price. When spending that kind of money, the buyer should have no concerns as those issues would be there if it comes time to sell.

I would love to add a 6.5 wood Powertone to my collection, but will have to settle for my 6.5 Luxor, 6.5 Tower and 6.5 Holiday for now.

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting drum. Rich K is right on the money re what a 6.5 Powertone (or Tower) would run. I know of a 6.5 Powertone that sold for closer to what his original asking price was, and in the past year or two, a 6.5 mahogany finish Tower brought $2000 on eBay. I was also interested, but had concerns re the removed serial number as well as the no return policy. I won't spend that kind of cash without an option to return if it doesn't look correct when I get it in my hands. I think the photos need to be far better for his current asking price.

I would love to add a 6.5 wood Powertone to my collection, but will have to settle for my 6.5 Luxor, 6.5 Tower and 6.5 Holiday for now.
Yes, I'm going to be that guy...you could remove the label and put another powertone label inside...

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
6.5 Powertones are much rarer then 6.5 Dynas, but who knows how many are floating around that are not put on forums, ebay , etc.
I agree with DanC that I would not pay more then around 1200-1500 for it.

Just curious...How do you know that 6.5 Powertones are more rare than 6.5 Dynas? Not including metal shells.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
In the current market, I'm not sure that drum would go for above $1500.

And with the issue with the number, this particular one is worth less than that. All just my humble opinion, of course... ;)

H

hindadoon

Interesting drum. Rich K is right on the money re what a 6.5 Powertone (or Tower) would run. I know of a 6.5 Powertone that sold for closer to what his original asking price was, and in the past year or two, a 6.5 mahogany finish Tower brought $2000 on eBay. I was also interested, but had concerns re the removed serial number as well as the no return policy. I won't spend that kind of cash without an option to return if it doesn't look correct when I get it in my hands. I think the photos need to be far better for his current asking price.

Yes, I'm going to be that guy...you could remove the label and put another powertone label inside...
Thanks for the heads up.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
No sale on the hot drum.I'll bet serious money that seller is looking for a new label for that drum right now.Notice he didn't relist it yet?Just my opinion..I could be wrong but i still think this guy is a "perp".

Steve B

Tophatjohnny

Drumming Fool!!
Reaction score
No reason to deface the serial number other than to try to hide the fact that its a stolen drum.I don't care if it was 12 bucks..keep it thief.That may sound a little harsh but after having some of my gear stolen years ago and recently one of our DFO brothers,not to mention over 20 years in law enforcement its something I will not tolerate for ANY reason.

Steve B
Right on Steve, I know the feeling of having a set stolen, and it's heart wrenching. Can't think of a reason that the serial # is scratched off myself!! Other than that! :unsure:

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up.
Good luck getting another one around that time period..and good luck removing it when you find it. Yes, some of us know how to do it, but that's our secret :)

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I decided to pass on this one. I know of a white pearl 6.5 x 14 Powertone that a vintage drum buddy of mine has, I may be able to work out a deal with him at some point, hopefully.