Rogers Restoration 1963 SwingTime No. 1807 Outfit in Blue Onyx Pearl

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well here it is my latest restoration and addition to my collection and it just happens to be a beautiful Rogers kit.
I believe this to be a 1963 Rogers Buddy Rich Headliner No. 1807 Outfit in Blue Onyx Pearl. Correct me if Im wrong Rogers experts on the year.
All the drums are the Holiday model except the Powertone snare & all the drums have the grey interior paint and Cleveland OH paper tags (in excellent shape).
The sizes are 14x22 bass drum, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom and 5x14 snare.
All drums have the highboy hoops and the wrap has very great color. Bearing edges are in good shape with just a reglue on the FT due to separation. Just a handful of the B&B lugs have hairline cracks.
I found this kit buried in a garage right near the beach. They had been in there for years and were covered in dirt, dust & rust from that salty ocean air.
They were the guy I bought them from dads bands rehearsal set. This is the kind of call I love as these drums needed to be saved. The pitting & rust on these drums was pretty extensive so each piece of metal was scrubbed as best possible to remove the rust, then hand polished with Brasso.
All the shells were buffed out with Novus 1 & 2. I replaced the clock face throw off on the snare with the new replica and all new Remo Vintage Ambassadors all around. The bass drum decal is also a great replica.
So built in late 1963 right before the change over to the BeaverTail lugs? Im not a Rogers expert at all so always learning
????
There are some minor scratches on the bass drum and still some very minor pitting on some of the hardware but nowhere near as bad as it was.
A LOT of elbow grease went into this one and I really love saving these old instruments so overall this kit really came back really nice!
First gig was past weekend & they SANG!

Attachments

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Transition drums, from 63 as noted. Used the newer Keller shells with the tapered rerings and sharp edges, but with the b&b lugs. A sweet spot for production, in my view, the newer shells with the lighter hardware. I've had a couple of sets like this and they are terrific sounding drums...

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
OMG they look brand new!
Hard to fathom they were collecting rust & dust before you got 'em.
I can appreciate all the detail work you invested into this fine looking set and they certainly fell into capable hands.
Gorgeous!

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
OMG they look brand new!
Hard to fathom they were collecting rust & dust before you got 'em.
I can appreciate all the detail work you invested into this fine looking set and they certainly fell into capable hands.
Gorgeous!
Thanks ES!
Yeah, they were super filthy.
I find the cleaning & restoring of the drums very therapeutic.
And now I'm finding out that this is an actual Swing Time kit. Always learning!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Gorgeous! Great job Mark! One of my favorite Rogers finishes.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Wow, nice job, I'm very impressed.

I have a very ugly drum coming in soon that needs lots of elbow grease so your project thread and (before & after photos) has been very helpful and inspiring.

Thank you!
Thanks man!
It really is therapy to be out on the balcony in the early morning, sipping coffee, listening to the birds and getting down on the Brasso/Novus rubbing fun!
Appreciate all the comments and looking forward to seeing your before & after pics.
I have 2 projects coming up.
A just a filthy Slingerland Windsor kit in Blue Satin Flame and.. :wink:

Attachments

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A very nice job of restoration. A beautiful set. Inspiring job you did.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all
This kit is now for sale locally in San Diego. 1900
Sorry not shipping.
Please PM if interested & I'll get up on FS forum tonight.
Thanks

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Marcrocks: First of all, FANTASTIC job reviving that set. Really, really nice work.
i am curious what you used to scrub the rust off the hardware?

Latest posts