Rogers Shells - Species of the plies ?

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gary , I don't want to be , but I am going to be a , PITA , because I'd like to ask you , if its possible for you to do , a pic of that edge outdoors or somewhere else ? It's hard to see because of lack of definition . I would say that the re-ring looks to be a solid piece . I am leaning towards a 3 ply shell , but I can't say for certain . Hard to see where one ply starts and ends .

I know its a pain to try and get a pic with definition . I ran into that a few times already , here in the shop . Possible to get that shell against a lighter coloured background and not on the floor ? And while you are at it , could you juggle 4 balls , whistle Dixie and do the Moondance at the same time ? LOL ! We hold you Rogers Gurus to a higher standard than everyone else !

I do apoligize for being a pain , Gary .

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kevin, First I thank you for the kind words. I also see that re reing as a chunk and not plied. It is 0 degrees outside today and with snow tomorrow I will not take that caliber of a drum outside right now. I will wait a few days for more pics outside on a sunny day when the snow is melting. No problem to be certain about this difference in re ring on deeper dynas. More to follow in a few days on this. I will follow through...we need to know this detail.

And I can ride a unicycle as well. I can also play a mean kazoo due to the 1940s kazoo inventions from Mr. Thompson:

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
rhythmace said:
This one is a 14" X 10" Fullerton and the "Pageant" name was hand written, and I think Holiday was marked out. So I am thinking that this was a shell brought from Ohio to California. A speckled Dayton era shell, but a Fullerton tag, since the shell is three ply. Ace
The shells were 5 ply through the Dayton years but went back to 3 ply for a time in the Fullerton years, unless this is a left over Cleveland era drum, 1966 and prior. At least that was the "Rogers Gospel" prior to Kdsdwc's recent discovery regarding the possibility of all-birch Fullerton shells. Yikes! This thread is getting more interesting by the day...

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
GrandpaCleve said:
Kevin, First I thank you for the kind words. I also see that re reing as a chunk and not plied. It is 0 degrees outside today and with snow tomorrow I will not take that caliber of a drum outside right now. I will wait a few days for more pics outside on a sunny day when the snow is melting. No problem to be certain about this difference in re ring on deeper dynas. More to follow in a few days on this. I will follow through...we need to know this detail.

And I can ride a unicycle as well. Did so with the H.S. marching band once through the down town streets of Freehold (close to Farmingdale) while playing on the "ands" funking up all those songs that day with cowbell in one hand and stick in the other. I can also play a mean kazoo due to the 1940s kazoo inventions from Mr. Thompson:
Gary , so YOU ARE multi talented ! When I read this , your reply was completely unexpected , and I did laugh out loud ! Unicycler ! Now thats balance and I'm throughly impressed , never mind the stick and cowbell . More to the Guru than what meets the eye .

That shell does look like , again , a solid re-ring and 3 ply shell . Interesting .

Thanks for taking ALL those pics , Gary .

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mellotron said:
Here is a mahogany Pageant parade drum that has five ply re-ring and three very thin plies in the shell. Two of the re-ring plies are very thin. Ace
IMG_0846.JPG
Now we are getting somewhere. I saw this picture and thought "This looks just like dad's 8x12 tom on his Fullerton kit. I went and did a search and found your resto thread and it is a Fullerton tag with the same serial number range as dad's tom (2XXXX). I wondered if his was a 3 ply, too. I have pics of the 2 toms. I'll go over this weekend and get a picture of the plies for the bass drum.

I'm starting to wonder if that middle ply is poplar on your drum Ace. It is kinda grey-ish just like Dad's drum. The reinforcement hoop inner plies are splintered, just like dad's. I thought there would have to be a softer wood (i.e. poplar) for the inner 2 or 3 plies of the hoops.

I'll upload pics this weekend of all 3 drums. This is fun. I'm glad its being civil too. I wasn't participating when folks were attacking each other.
Mellotron , " this is fun , I'm glad its being civil too ."

Thanks for saying so . And it is fun and very interesting .

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got some pics of a 3 ply mahogany Cambridge model and its 5 ply re-ring and pics of a Spotlight shell that has a 3 ply re-ring and 3 ply shell . Check it out .

Attachments

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
kdsdwc said:

And I can ride a unicycle as well. Did so with the H.S. marching band once through the down town streets of Freehold (close to Farmingdale) while playing on the "ands" funking up all those songs that day with cowbell in one hand and stick in the other. I can also play a mean kazoo due to the 1940s kazoo inventions from Mr. Thompson:
Gary , so YOU ARE multi talented ! When I read this , your reply was completely unexpected , and I did laugh out loud ! Unicycler ! Now thats balance and I'm throughly impressed , never mind the stick and cowbell . More to the Guru than what meets the eye .

That shell does look like , again , a solid re-ring and 3 ply shell . Interesting .

Thanks for taking ALL those pics , Gary .
You are welcome for all the pics. I will still follow through once the weather is right to take out a 6.5 wood Dyna for a pic. Right now the weather is making her camera shy outside.

I laughed while typing that last unicycle post. Remembering those days was a funny thing. I'm sure the whole band that day had enough cowbell and "The Meters" style funk in their marching songs. Good times.

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So Gary were you doing the "Cissy Strut " while unicycling , and playing cowbell , and just funkin everything up ? LOL !

Weather here is also Frigid . And lots of snow , lots of snow . I'm tired of shoveling .

I had said , to Tommy , that I'd like to see a 1970's 3 ply shell . Guess what I have owned for at least 7 years ? I have a Fullerton taged 22 " bass that I'm in the process of re-wrapping . Thinking about this thread and decided to sand a 6" - 7" section of the bearing edge , just to see the ply make up . Well look what I found , a Fullerton tagged 3 ply shell with 5 ply re-rings ! Tommy , never mind I found one !

I also took pics of a WMP Dyna that I'm making , that I cut from a Concert tom shell . I have the off cut from this shell which will tell me if it had Swivo or Big R mounts . Must find this piece . This is a 5ply shell and 5 ply ring .

Have a look at the pics , I've put pencil marks showing the different plies on the bass .

Attachments

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Okay, so now look what I found courtesy of your Spotlight, Kevin!

Gramps and Powertone, here's another set of initials that you need to add to your list of assemblers. On another thread, my floor tom was "dissed" that the "owner" wrote his/her initials on the rering, as it had been accepted to this point that assemblers put their initials on only the tags. So...who was the mysterious "JG?"

My FT with JG.JPG
Kdsdwc Spotlight with JG Circled.jpg

bkalebjian

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
!!! I feel like we're getting closer to unveiling the mysteries of the universe !!!

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
kdsdwc said:
So Gary were you doing the "Cissy Strut " while unicycling , and playing cowbell , and just funkin everything up ? LOL !

Weather here is also Frigid . And lots of snow , lots of snow . I'm tired of shoveling .

I had said , to Tommy , that I'd like to see a 1970's 3 ply shell . Guess what I have owned for at least 7 years ? I have a Fullerton taged 22 " bass that I'm in the process of re-wrapping . Thinking about this thread and decided to sand a 6" - 7" section of the bearing edge , just to see the ply make up . Well look what I found , a Fullerton tagged 3 ply shell with 5 ply re-rings ! Tommy , never mind I found one !

I also took pics of a WMP Dyna that I'm making , that I cut from a Concert tom shell . I have the off cut from this shell which will tell me if it had Swivo or Big R mounts . Must find this piece . This is a 5ply shell and 5 ply ring .

Have a look at the pics , I've put pencil marks showing the different plies on the bass .
Kevin, Yup. I was obsessed with The Meters back then..still am. More like the chicken strut:

Last edited by a moderator:

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tommy , this is so cool . No more dissing now ! Bunch of dissers ! LOL !

Thanks for pointing out that this shell is an Eagle badge . I responded in the other thread about how I didn't have a clue that the shell was Eagle badged . I'm learning .

I have a few more Fullerton basses , I want to sand a small portion of the bearing edges on these , just to see the ply make up . And I've got a Dayton tom that needs new bearing edges that I will check out too .

What a trip , this thread has turned out to be !

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gary , you were born in the wrong era ! LOL ! And I can relate , with my cabinet making , I make things to last decades not years .

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Here is a ply from a re-ring from a set owned by Chuck Norris. It had come apart from the impact. I think it's him-a-layin virgin pine. Ace
IMG_0847.JPG

Latest posts