Rogers Shells - Species of the plies ?

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
4th and 5th plies visible. 5th starts where the wrap starts on the left.
F2B1A3C7-6F31-47BC-AD0A-701F99BB7AB1.jpeg

Last edited:

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rings. Front and back.
Seem to be same construction as the shell center 3 plies.
C812D472-21CC-4CF3-8F21-F0E7D50593C3.jpeg
D83AB4FD-2E74-4694-BD66-F5BBCCF0E047.jpeg

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting findings. This could be plug for those all birch Yamaha and Tama drums of the 1977-early 1990's. Just like Rogers. And Tama in particular was pretty good about imitating anything good that Rogers was doing in the early to mid-70's.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fascinating thread. I hope to read more comments from others about Roger’s shells.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I honestly thought the use of poplar was odd. When people ask me these days, I usually say Rogers drum shells are maple and birch, maybe some poplar, a mix of any one of this; but no-one really knows. I'm guessing birch was cheaper than maple, so maybe there are shells that are all birch. I do however have a couple of problems with the "all birch theory"

1. I have been recording my drums for 20 years in my own studio; and often forensically analysing the results. I play modern kits of maple; then I play birch and they seem as different to me as night and day. So even taking into account the re-rings; the wrap and the edges; I find it hard to believe that my current Rogers kit (Clevelands) are all birch. I just don't hear it. Note I said "hard" not "impossible" Anythings possible (except responsible government)
2. I've stripped lone Rogers shells quite a few times. A few had pieces of wood in the outer plies that I would swear were maple, by the colour. However, I've also made plugs for Rogers/Pearl drill disasters out of a block of maple wood and it's damn hard wood. Not sure I would say those shells were as hard to sand.

I know this has been a big shock for some Rogers owners, but I have spent a decent amount of time researching Australian Drouyn drums in the past and no-one knows for sure what they were made from, from kit to kit. Now Rogers was a different scale of company, but still - I'm not surprised.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that Rogers made some of the finest examples of percussion on the planet and raised the bar for a lot of other drum companies.

It's wonderful that so many people have spent time and energy into contributing to this thread. Thanks very much.

stewy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Excuse me if this is reopening a can of worms, but were the lab tests ever completed? And just to recap what exactly has been learned from all this discussion?
After reading 14 pages, #1 does not seem to be in contention but #2-4 are still not clear.
1. Jasper 3-ply shells were Gum Core with Maple interior and exterior, except for some Mahogany exteriors usually found on marching drums with no wrap.
1b. -Side note - Are all Jasper Shells 3-ply or were there 5-ply or 6-ply Jasper shells? One shell posted in this topic appeared to have gum core similar to Gretsch Jasper shells, and I have seen Rogers shells with the same M/G/M/G/G/M ply layup as Gretsch Jasper
2. Keller shells according to Harry Cangany were Maple / Birch / Maple or Maple / Birch / Maple / Birch / Maple depending on era
3. According to kdsdwc the interior and exterior plies are actually Birch which would make the Keller shells 100% Birch
4. Possible change in ply layup from Cleveland-Dayton Keller Shells to Fullerton Keller Shells?

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Excuse me if this is reopening a can of worms, but were the lab tests ever completed? And just to recap what exactly has been learned from all this discussion?
After reading 14 pages, #1 does not seem to be in contention but #2-4 are still not clear.
1. Jasper shells were Gum Core with Maple interior and exterior, except for some Mahogany exteriors usually found on marching drums with no wrap.
1b. -Side note - Are all Jasper Shells 3-ply or were there 5-ply or 6-ply Jasper shells? One shell posted in this topic appeared to have gum core similar to Gretsch Jasper shells, and I have seen Rogers shells with the same M/G/M/G/G/M ply layup as Gretsch Jasper
2. Keller shells according to Harry Cangany were Maple / Birch / Maple or Maple / Birch / Maple / Birch / Maple depending on era
3. According to kdsdwc the interior and exterior plies are actually Birch which would make the Keller shells 100% Birch
4. Possible change in ply layup from Cleveland-Dayton Keller Shells to Fullerton Keller Shells?
Since this thread has started I believe we now understand Gretsch shells to be M/G/G/G/G/M.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
kdsdwc may have had some legitimate points but was a total dbag about it so he had a hard time making many converts.

stewy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since this thread has started I believe we now understand Gretsch shells to be M/G/G/G/G/M.
:icon_lol:

kdsdwc was very confident in his assertion and definitely rubbed some members the wrong way but are his findings being ignored? Seems like the common thought is still that Rogers are M/B/M/B/M, but I have to agree that some of the exterior/interior plies I've seen with the finish/paint removed had grain and figuring that didn't look like any other maple shell I've seen. Always thought it was interesting figuring and must be some special type of maple, but it kind of makes sense that maybe the interior and exterior plies are actually birch. Or all of them as kdsdwc suggests.